Macphisto: stroke of genius or lapse of reason?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2Hearts

War Child
I'm sure this subject has came up before, but could everyone weigh in on the enigma that was Macphisto?

My vote: stroke of genius. Seeing multiple ZooTV shows, reading Bill Flanagan's "Until the End of the World", and Steve Stockman's "The Spiritual Journey of U2" have given me a great appreciation for him.

Complete stroke of genius.

And let me add: Breathtaking brilliance. Sheer audacity. Incredible courage. And gold platform shoes to match. :macdevil: :heart:

Definitely a stroke of genius. It's amazing how Bono just melted into that character... It's hilarious listening to all of his phone calls and stuff during the Zooropa shows. ;)

To me, this question is a no-brainer. I absolutely love the Macphisto segment (including Daddy's Gonna Pay/Lemon) on the Sydney DVD. The only reason I asked is b/c someone was calling Macphisto 'cheesy' on another thread, so I just wanted to see what the consensus was.

Stroke of genius. The depth of the character is astonishing. It seems the only people who don't like MacPhisto are those who see the white make-up and gold suit and go "OMG THAT'S TACKY!" without taking even a second to consider why Bono is doing what he's doing.

Last edited:
Genius, and hot in a disturbing way ... at least until his face starts melting off under the stage lights. :wink:

Axver said:
Stroke of genius. The depth of the character is astonishing. It seems the only people who don't like MacPhisto are those who see the white make-up and gold suit and go "OMG THAT'S TACKY!" without taking even a second to consider why Bono is doing what he's doing.

Wow, that's really a compliment coming from someone who doesn't care for the Zoo era. :up:

Genius - SO funny&brilliant when he made those calls! Such hilarious expressions! :mac: :laugh:

beyond genius.

no one in rock and roll has done anything comparable at that level since.

(and probably never will).

Back
Top Bottom