Lynching other U2 Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why? JickJickJickJickJickJickJickJickJickJickJick.........:eyebrow:

Pretty pathetic closing a thread if he's just MENTIONED.

Do people do this in real life? If you meet someone who has a different sense of humour, or is a little peculiar, or doesn't socially fit in, do you round up your friends and verbally savage them until they leave?

Why is it okay to pack maul people on the internet?

Good questions. I don't really care all that much what someone's opinions about U2 are . I can't understand why some people get so worked up about it, though it can get very tiring seeing the same people say the same things ad nauseum. But I do wonder if some people would treat others the same way in person as they do on the internet -I assume yes, they would. There's good natured teasing/ribbing, then there's other-and some people do way too much of other. It's much easier to ignore and not say anything, I guess it's not easier for some people :shrug: Some things are much better off left unsaid.

I think a "pack maul" mentality can exist, just as a high school type mentality can. It's the same mentality in many ways.

I absolutely do not get it. Why attack people for an opinion they have on music?? That just doesn't make any sense to me. At the end of the day, it's just music. We all love U2 for our own reasons, some more fanatical than others, some love U2-area X, some U2-area Z, but come on, what does it really matter?

People get so ballsy sitting behind their computer screen.

Yep, Beli, your point is proved by some of the replies here on this very thread.

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Do you actually believe this crap? Yeah, J was banned because he hates POP. That makes a lot of sense. Why don't you give it a rest? We know you don't like POP. We know you think the rest of Interference is conspiring to shove it down your throat. Move on.

You claim that J used excerpts from interviews, which isn't the whole picture. On COUNTLESS occassions he has taken band quotes OUT OF CONTEXT to backup his points, while omitting information that would disprove them. This kind of crap might be funny once or twice, but after a while it becomes deliberate information, and to a certain extent, libel. His dislike for "a certain album" was only one of many topic he presented a distorted picture of.

Because you also have such a dislike for POP (maybe you hate Adam Clayton too), you don't seem bothered by these sketchy tactics. Well maybe you can take over where J left off and see how far you get.

Good luck.

laz

I was talking about some fans's actions toward Jick, NOT mods or his banning.

You are a perfect example, as you proved yet again with your continuation of anti-Jick crusade. I guess it's ok if you're on the right "side".

How you turned this about me and what I think of Pop I will never know. (nothing to do with this thread's discussion and you got it wrong, so I won't bother responding)
Another trait from the type of fans this thread mentions - forget the subject, let's get personal.

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Do you actually believe this crap? Yeah, J was banned because he hates POP. That makes a lot of sense. Why don't you give it a rest? We know you don't like POP. We know you think the rest of Interference is conspiring to shove it down your throat. Move on.

You claim that J used excerpts from interviews, which isn't the whole picture. On COUNTLESS occassions he has taken band quotes OUT OF CONTEXT to backup his points, while omitting information that would disprove them. This kind of crap might be funny once or twice, but after a while it becomes deliberate information, and to a certain extent, libel. His dislike for "a certain album" was only one of many topic he presented a distorted picture of.

Because you also have such a dislike for POP (maybe you hate Adam Clayton too), you don't seem bothered by these sketchy tactics. Well maybe you can take over where J left off and see how far you get.

Good luck.

laz

U2girl is right. People who don't like Pop have been more likely to be unfairly bashed here over the years (not so much lately as in the past ) Pop naysayers are always told to 'shut up we already know it', yet when someone else continually bashes ATYCLB and someone complains, we are told 'they have a right to their opinion and if you don't want to read it avoid the thread.' That is a double standard, for sure.

I don't personally see that J was any more negative or annoying than a dozen or more other posters here who get by with it all the time. :uhoh:

What I have noticed often in the type of threads that Beli is referring to is that they start of with a post that some people really overreact to...taking it too seriously. Then the OP gets defensive (often understandably) and gets worked up too. It seems from this point on, people lose sight of the original point as everyone just gets more and more riled with eachother. The OP starts getting slagged for being aggressive etc, when often it was not their first post that was aggressive, but their response to what was thrown at them. Did I make that clear?! :huh:

I think that if you really don´t like the way a thread is going, then just step out of it and leave them to get on with it. A forum such as this is a micro-society. You´ll find aggressive people, idiots etc in all societies. Do what you´d do anywhere, give them a wide berth if you don´t like to be around them. Some threads get really ridiculous... people are so busy screaming that so and so has a bad attitude that they can´t see they are acting the same.

Bottom line is, no matter how much we may believe people should keep it nice, some people never will. They get too much out of being able to rant and rave. I just wouldn´t bother getting into a discussion with them unless I was up for it. In that sense, we have to police our own responses.

Last edited:
beli said:
There have been a number of threads of late where a U2 fan has been singled out and savaged by other U2 fans. I'm curious to know why individuals believe this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

In some cases, but not all, the person being savaged is either not from the same country as the people doing the savaging, or is eccentric. Do people do this in real life? If you meet someone who has a different sense of humour, or is a little peculiar, or doesn't socially fit in, do you round up your friends and verbally savage them until they leave?

Why is it okay to pack maul people on the internet?

PS This post is not directed towards moderators as I believe people should be able to moderate themselves on most days, barring the odd wobbly.
My thoughts EXACTLY.I've recieved a few verbal bashings in some of my threads.Difference of opinion = lets all have a go and tell him to fuck off,that was pretty much the jist of it.....pathetic:madspit:
well i cant really say to much more cos i've promised i'll be a good boy
:wink:
Great thread Beli:kiss:

I'm not saying the moderators are infalliable, but unless you were swearing at people or sexually harrassing them, I'd think you'd have to do a lot to get banned.

And you people keep trumpeting the rights of people to have their own opinions, but NO ONE has addressed the issue of taking band quotes out of context to paint negative pictures of them. I can't speak for other posters, but J was constantly doing this, and I feel that his distortion of the truth was something worth reprimanding him for. What it amounts to is out and out lies.

If I take an old quote of Bono's about trying drugs and begin a thread about how he's a coke addict and pussy hound, is that OK? Where is the line? I'm not talking about censorship, but when someone is REPEATEDLY slandering the band with bullshit evidence, the mods should call that person on it. This isn't about a one-time-thing.

Anyone care to comment, or do you all want to go on and on about how everyone has an opinion? Surely you can't think a person was banned by the mods (who probably got together and came to a consensus) just for that.

laz

blahblahblah said:
I notice in many threads if somebody has a certain opinion on something to do with U2 that doesn't go well with what some SUPER-FAN thinks...that super-fan will get on his/her soapbox, stick their nose in the air and talk like they're god almighty. I remember the words "I'm sorry, I don't think you understand what U2 is..." being used against someone.

You get complete pricks here, and many people will act like bloody JOCKS tripping up computer nerds in the hall over a BAND. Lighten up some of you.

It's not fair, but it's the way a club works. People tend to not form a collective around differing opinions. That's why there is institutionalized religion. So people can get together, be insular and reinforce each other's screwed up logic.

People need to stop being such
th_e98_th_689_forumnazismaller_copy.jpg

For me, I don't mind people disagreeing with an opinion but it's the way some people do it.

Also, as far as certain other board members that people have issues with, I think these people are ticked off at the troll-like behavior not the fact that someone is disagreeing with them. There are some people that get their jollies out stirring things up. I, personally, think that's a sad waste of time. And the one particular one that everyone keeps talking about has had a habit of doing so since way back on Wire in the mid to late 90's. Most of the time I just don't read threads started by people like that. Sometimes, however, it's hard to ignore the people trying to stir up trouble.

I'm an admin at another forum (not U2 related) and we are much more strict than here. I don't think this forum is overly moderated at all, I think they are pretty loose, actually.

Last edited:
I'm a member of a few boards where there is little to no moderation and the people, as a whole, are more respectful than here.

I often wonder if the presence of moderators gives some people the excuse they can behave badly because they will be told off if they get out of hand, rather than take responsibility for their own posts.

Not that moderation is the issue here. I'm concerned that some people appear unable to self moderate. I'm aware people have off days. I'm not referring to the odd wobbly. I'm refering to people who seem to believe that bullying is okay.

Lisa71 said:
Also, as far as certain other board members that people have issues with, I think these people are ticked off at the troll-like behavior not the fact that someone is disagreeing with them. There are some people that get their jollies out stirring things up. I, personally, think that's a sad waste of time. And the one particular one that everyone keeps talking about has had a habit of doing so since way back on Wire in the mid to late 90's.

Finally, someone else who knows what I'm talking about. It isn't the OPINIONS that are the problem, it's the trolling. Either that, or it's deliberate misinformation. However you want to classify it, that's what the main problem is. NOT a dissenting opinion. And it should be punishable.

I'm more anti-establishment than most people I know. But it seems that Interference members just like railing against the system and seeking consipiracies. I firmly believe that the banning process isn't something one moderator does on a whim. There has to be a good reason for it, a long history, and an agreement by other higher-ups. That's good enough for me.

laz

I have never lynched or bullied anyone in my life. I have nothing against people who have different opinions than mine or who like to criticize the band. To be honest I very much welcome this pots/threads as sometimes they can be eye openers and I'm ready to have my mind changed if I'm wrong at something or if I see a new point of view. But there's a difference between criticizing and simply trolling. I can't stand trolling, especially when it's done in a way that makes it seem like the person is being respectful or not really trying to offend anyone. That really pisses me off and upsets me quite a bit and I can't pretend that it's not happening (I wish I could but I can't).

lazarus said:

Finally, someone else who knows what I'm talking about. It isn't the OPINIONS that are the problem, it's the trolling. Either that, or it's deliberate misinformation. However you want to classify it, that's what the main problem is. NOT a dissenting opinion. And it should be punishable.

I'm more anti-establishment than most people I know. But it seems that Interference members just like railing against the system and seeking consipiracies. I firmly believe that the banning process isn't something one moderator does on a whim. There has to be a good reason for it, a long history, and an agreement by other higher-ups. That's good enough for me.

laz

let's not open up another can of worms by talking about the banning process :wink:

beli said:
I'm a member of a few boards where there is little to no moderation and the people, as a whole, are more respectful than here.

I am also a member of a few boards with little or no moderation and the places are shit holes because of it.

Lisa71 said:
I don't think this forum is overly moderated at all, I think they are pretty loose, actually.
i agree. other forums i go to are ruled with an iron fist compared to here. the problem is here (and i'm gonna be really honest for a minute) there are quite a few people who question everything the mods do. questioning is okay but some people do it to the point where it interferes with our work.

i can't speak for the other mods here but i know at times i've avoided saying things to people or in threads because i don't want to get yelled at for doing my job because i had to yell at a popular member or something. questioning authority is okay, hell people should do that. but to the point where it's not clear if you respect the authority or not is a big no-no imo.

Sicy said:

I am also a member of a few boards with little or no moderation and the places are shit holes because of it.

very true. i've seen the same thing many times.

as far as the topic goes, i think maturity is the real issue. those who respect others' opinions will be respected a lot more, whether it's here, or real life. when it comes to interference, respecting others' opinions is and should be criteria for being allowed to stay here. somehow, i've slipped through the cracks over the years.:wink:

Sicy said:

I think it depends on the people who post. Some boards I post on are very relaxed and easygoing with very little moderation. Others are a lot more fiesty.

On a slightly differnt slant.... U2 in many people's minds seem to be given almost god-like status. I can't help but wonder if that has a great deal to do with the intense reactions against perceived negative comments against the band or their work. After all attacks (even just perceived ones) on religion or religious belief are generally not well tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom