LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the point was they would have received criticism from the fan base whatever way they went about it.

Why would anyone criticize an album being given away for free, as an optional download?

Why would anyone criticize a surprise release that was still for sale at normal prices?

The only other method that may have been criticized was a simple traditional release, but I imagine it would be more like a mild "I thought they were going to make a bigger deal out of it or try something innovative" that would dissipate quickly, as opposed to us still talking about the boneheadedness of the actual SOI release 5 years later.

SOI is probably the most well known album release off all time. Because it was a disaster. It's up there with ISHFWILF and Pride for things U2 are known for. I cant think of another band of their stature with a blunder that's as well known as their biggest successes.*

*Stones at Altamont supercedes it but there's an interesting cultural aspect to it, as well as a great show and one of the best movies of all time, so it's more than a blunder. SOI is rightly known solely as a disaster.

Last edited:
SOI is probably the most well known album release off all time. Because it was a disaster. It's up there with ISHFWILF and Pride for things U2 are known for. I cant think of another band of their stature with a blunder that's as well known as their biggest successes.*

*Stones at Altamont supercedes it but there's an interesting cultural aspect to it, as well as a great show and one of the best movies of all time, so it's more than a blunder. SOI is rightly known solely as a disaster.

Unless someone makes an amazing documentary out of it?

The Stones are viewed as cooler and more dangerous because of Altamont, it hasn't tarnished their legacy in the slightest as far as the general public is concerned.

I believe that the band's legacy is tarnished because non-fans view Bono as an arrogant prick. This is almost completely attributable to his activism. In my opinion the SOI release was a symptom of the disease. Something non-fans could point to and say: "See how arrogant this guy is. He's convinced everybody wants his album". If this stunt was pulled by any other legacy act I really don't believe it would have resonated so negatively.

I believe that the band's legacy is tarnished because non-fans view Bono as an arrogant prick. This is almost completely attributable to his activism. In my opinion the SOI release was a symptom of the disease. Something non-fans could point to and say: "See how arrogant this guy is. He's convinced everybody wants his album". If this stunt was pulled by any other legacy act I really don't believe it would have resonated so negatively.
I think there's some of that, but I also think the number of people who actually dislike Bono, and/or dislike U2 because of Bono, is greatly over exaggerated. Those that dislike him are very vocal about it, but generally speaking The Olds[emoji769] really like U2. Every tour they do isn't at or near the top of the list because they're hated.

He's certainly a point of discussion/interest between those I know. People generally don't really care, and he's not as relevant in the public sphere as he was in 00s.

It seems like he’s stepped it back quite a bit with the non-music related appearances in the last few years. At least in public.

The stretch from 1999 to around 2010 he was in the news constantly. Speeches and articles and whatnot and so forth, and things of that nature.

if anyone gets information that they may be in Hanover Quay please contact me asap and I will go down there and see if I can get talking with one of them in regards to what is next.

I heard that they’re going back to Eno and Lanois because they want to get back to being experimental with having the wide open sounding landscape again. Also I heard that Bono will no longer wear his stupid glasses because a contact lens company developed new lenses specifically for his needs! Also, Adam picked up drinking again so he could really let loose with some bass ideas he’s been having, Larry is going back to the Yamaha kit he used during the lovetown tour, and Edge is using nothing but the Fender Stratocaster on the new album which also will have Andy Barlow to mix.

damn this place is dead lol

But yeah, I'd actually be very interested in reading a book of ol' Bono's memoirs. I know he gets quite a bit of flack for with whom he keeps certain company, but he's just so well connected with so many popular and influential figures--not to mention his own life experiences behind the curtain--that I'm preeeetty positive there's a bevy of fascinating, untold stories to tell.

My only concern would be Bono's seemingly unwavering civility towards others, an aspect that might inhibit his less flattering interactions with people, all in the name of "keeping the peace," so to speak. Not that there *needs* to be drama/ tension with others in order for a story to be interesting, but I feel as though Bono might sugarcoat certain experiences rather than be completely and utterly forthright with his numerous and varied interactions. But then again, that just might be par for the course for just about every fading star's memoirs.

Regardless, of course I'll be there day one ;p

Just realised its been over 6 months since I saw them in Manchester towards the end of the SOE tour. Add in the strongly rumoured tour down under and it looks like any new music is stretching further and further out on the horizon.

I need to see the interview in full, but I saw some comments from Adam over the weekend about how there's less pressure to chase commercial success and radio play now (or words to that effect). Not sure if it means anything for the next album though.

Just realised its been over 6 months since I saw them in Manchester towards the end of the SOE tour. Add in the strongly rumoured tour down under and it looks like any new music is stretching further and further out on the horizon.

I need to see the interview in full, but I saw some comments from Adam over the weekend about how there's less pressure to chase commercial success and radio play now (or words to that effect). Not sure if it means anything for the next album though.

Yeah I'd say the absolute earliest to start following any new music rumors would be 2021, and that might even be too early. I think they'll do their Down Under tour, we'll see a couple live videos (if those are still in the works), and then they'll take most of 2020 off, maybe do some casual writing recording in 2021, but not enough to have an imminent release. If I were to predict, I'd say end of 2022 or 2023.

Yeah I'd say the absolute earliest to start following any new music rumors would be 2021, and that might even be too early. I think they'll do their Down Under tour, we'll see a couple live videos (if those are still in the works), and then they'll take most of 2020 off, maybe do some casual writing recording in 2021, but not enough to have an imminent release. If I were to predict, I'd say end of 2022 or 2023.

I think they need to lay low...let the music scene come back to them. Meaning...absence makes the heart grow fonder...(hmm)

I think they need to lay low...let the music scene come back to them. Meaning...absence makes the heart grow fonder...(hmm)

I agree completely. I’d love it if they released a more atmospheric and reflective album, if if more sonically similar to ATYCLB but not so top heavy.

I agree completely. I’d love it if they released a more atmospheric and reflective album, if if more sonically similar to ATYCLB but not so top heavy.

This is about all I've wanted since . . . well, since ATYCLB. I also agree that playing the long game may work for them. Also avoids that second guessing they inevitably do because of political crises, new production trends, other issues, etc. Not sure they'll ever lose that, but a reflective period may be fine. I also hope and expect AB will get some sort of tribute or tour, which would be '21 by my math. I expect radio silence when it comes to new music until then.

This is about all I've wanted since . . . well, since ATYCLB. I also agree that playing the long game may work for them. Also avoids that second guessing they inevitably do because of political crises, new production trends, other issues, etc. Not sure they'll ever lose that, but a reflective period may be fine. I also hope and expect AB will get some sort of tribute or tour, which would be '21 by my math. I expect radio silence when it comes to new music until then.

Yeah and in my opinion, what they need to learn to do for their next album is to be themselves, if that makes sense. Embrace the fact that they're old folks playing rock music. Part of the reason why ATYCLB was so popular is that it was branded as the "Back To Basics" album/tour which reminded people of the Joshua Tree, even though the album didn't really sound like Joshua Tree. People love nostalgia.

I'm not sure about the rumored tour of Australia/New Zealand in November/December. Its possible. In terms of a general worldwide tour, I think that will have to wait until at least 2022. I don't think there will be a retro Achtung Baby/ZOO TV tour. I think Joshua Tree 2017 tour was a one off. In fact, I think a 40th anniversary tour for the Unforgettable Fire would be more likely, just because it would be easier to do, be in arenas, plus it would take place in a gap between the most likely album/tour cycles. A new album will probably be released in early 2022 with a new global tour. I suppose the album will be either the "Songs Of Ascent" thing, Rick Rubin sessions thing, or something new and different from those other two projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom