LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason Bono turned up was that the meeting was in a kitchen

One is newer than the other so fans aren't ready to process its flaws yet. Happens with every new U2 album. NLOTH was treated like a brilliant, artistic return to form until SOI. SOI was a focused masterwork following the inconsistent mess of NLOTH until SOE.

Could be the other way round for me? I marginally liked SOI as “good but still not as good as their other stuff” right when it came out.

I handpick random songs on SOE, because in general it just seems like a spotty album with few interesting songs. I mean, it’s not bad, but I’ve never quite loved it.

SOI and SOE are both great albums. It's just that both have a few flaws that seemed obviously correctable, but the band didn't do it (track order, song selection, choice of singles, etc.)

Hindsight being 20-20, U2 leaves Song For Someone and Volcano off SOI since their superior versions (13, American Soul) ended up on the next album. Those two slots on SOI are filled by Crystal Ballroom and Invisible, and suddenly SOI is even better than it already is.

I do feel that I would like Experience even more if the songs that they copied from Innocence didn't exist.

I think the experience versions are superior, but that they ripped off parts straight from Innocence songs just seems lazy and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And because somebody will inevitably respond with "ehrmagad it werks koz itz uh kompunion elbom"

Yea, no shit. But

--they really didn't push that point in the release... I guess they just assumed that we'd all get it and like it because of the album titles

--does it really make sense to put out a companion album to a story 3 years after the fact? No.

--does it make sense to put out a companion album to an album that was labeled as a joke from the day it was released? No.

They should have completely abandoned the Songs Of... concept. If they couldn't think of other ways to finish the three "call back" songs then they should have abandoned them (all three insert the old elements into otherwise unrelated musical pieces). They should have picked, ya know, the good songs as singles. And for fucks sake they never in a million years should have played 3/4s of the tour with a significant segment straight up lifted from the previous tour.

The irony of this band, who's greatest thing is their ability to connect to an audience, agreeing to play a song called Get Out Of Your Own Way at the Grammys, by themselves, on a barge in the middle of the fucking Hudson River is not lost on me.

They fucked the pooch on the i/e era literally because they could not get out of their own way.

And I still like these albums more than what some are saying in previous posts... I don't think they're hot garbage or the worst things ever written. But both of them could have been much better with what, in hindsight, seem like relatively easy decisions. And that's fucking annoying. Even more so when you consider that this was also No Line's major issue.

Last edited:
Great post. My one counter to the recycling argument would be that they did give us 14 songs in the SOE cycle, if you're including Book Of Your Heart. So even if you remove the ones that contain SOI elements, you still have a healthy amount of new material.

But your other points, yeah, it's dispiriting to read them all laid out. And quite the dubious achievement to not only pick mostly terrible singles, but to completely botch the promotion of them. You're forgetting the whole video they shot for Get Out that they for some reason ditched despite spending what appeared to be a fair amount of time on it. And for such a personal album that may have brought people back into the fold, performing on a barge with such a huge Grammy viewership was beyond ill-advised, especially combined with their totally useless cameo on stage with Kendrick. Imagine what a full-band collab would have been like had they integrated American Soul properly with XXX.

And I'll go back to what I mentioned before: putting Lady Gaga on your album but mixing it so you can't hear her is not only unforgivable, but a real missed opportunity considering the big comeback she had last year.

If they had pushed The Blackout instead of dismissing it as some preview single, we may be in a different place:

1. The Blackout
2. The Best Thing
3. Love Is Bigger
4. Red Flag Day/Summer of Love (corrected)

SOI and SOE are both great albums. It's just that both have a few flaws that seemed obviously correctable, but the band didn't do it (track order, song selection, choice of singles, etc.)

Hindsight being 20-20, U2 leaves Song For Someone and Volcano off SOI since their superior versions (13, American Soul) ended up on the next album. Those two slots on SOI are filled by Crystal Ballroom and Invisible, and suddenly SOI is even better than it already is.

Double like

Double like

Double like

Volcano is light years better than American Soul.

Although I first wasn’t a fan of 13, I have grown to like it.

--does it really make sense to put out a companion album to a story 3 years after the fact? No.

also doesn't make sense to call it a companion album when they tore it up and inserted a bunch of new stuff because someone they dont like got elected in a country not their own.

It will be interesting to see which of the Songs Of albums ages better... if they are able to age (and not simply be forgotten) at all...

To get:

Every Breaking Wave
Raised By Wolves
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Troubles
Crystal Ballroom
Lights of Home
Red Flag Day
Little Things
Land Lady
Love Is Bigger

this late in their career is pretty solid. These are songs I'll always revisit and remind me of both tours (which were great) . And my 3 year old loves Best Thing. That song will always remind me of him from age 2 to 3 for the rest of my life. Whats even more strange he was in my wife's stomach at the IE Tour (Phoenix) :applaud:

Neither Innocence or Experience are great albums. And while I think Innocence is their worst, I do think there are saving graces like Sleep Like A Baby, Every Breaking Wave and This Is Where You... and The Troubles. A lot of it does however sound undercooked and pro-tooled to buggery - the worst U2 production ever (that’s what you get though if you bring in sonic diarrhoea like Tedder).

And there is utter balls littered across Experience too (obviously all the singles, including yes even The Blackout which I think has the most awful cut and paste generic chorus of all time).

I just think they operate in a musical straitjacket these days - they seem to have forgotten about the sonic and loose structural qualities their songs used to have, now resorting to generic rigid pop song structures that sound uninspired. The Edge has forgotten all about the ethereal mysticism that makes him a unique guitarist (whatever happened to the orchestrated multilayered beauty of songs like Unforgettable Fire?) and turned into a middle aged pub rawk bore for the most part with an extremely dull stripped down approach. Meanwhile, Bono thinks he’s in direct competition with Chris Martin for generic cut and paste choruses and ends up sounding like all those U2 imitator bands from the mid 2000s.

Turn the studio into an instrument, begin building songs from the ground up

Also, tell Rick Rubin (the most overrated producer of all time who has never produced a genuinely great album in his life) to fuck off with his ‘advice’ that U2 hid behind intriguing sounds to make their songs sound interesting. Pop is a better record than any shite that Rubin has produced, but unfortunately, they seem to have taken this grizzled bores advice over real auteurs like Eno.

Rick Rubin (the most overrated producer of all time who has never produced a genuinely great album in his life) .

That may be overstating just a tad for the guy who produced the likes of Licensed to Ill, Reign in Blood, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication, Wildflowers and countless others

Also, tell Rick Rubin (the most overrated producer of all time who has never produced a genuinely great album in his life) to fuck off with his ‘advice’ that U2 hid behind intriguing sounds to make their songs sound interesting. Pop is a better record than any shite that Rubin has produced, but unfortunately, they seem to have taken this grizzled bores advice over real auteurs like Eno.

lol what a stupidly fucking ignorant thing to say.

I just think they operate in a musical straitjacket these days - they seem to have forgotten about the sonic and loose structural qualities their songs used to have, now resorting to generic rigid pop song structures that sound uninspired. The Edge has forgotten all about the ethereal mysticism that makes him a unique guitarist (whatever happened to the orchestrated multilayered beauty of songs like Unforgettable Fire?) and turned into a middle aged pub rawk bore for the most part with an extremely dull stripped down approach. Meanwhile, Bono thinks he’s in direct competition with Chris Martin for generic cut and paste choruses and ends up sounding like all those U2 imitator bands from the mid 2000s.

Turn the studio into an instrument, begin building songs from the ground up

I really agree with this.

There are parts of both SoI and SoE I love (and I think u2 have put out worse albums), but neither had that 'spark' that I always see/hear with the rest of their output.

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why. They've definitely moved into a creative process where they want to be seen as 'song writers', and be able to play their songs on just an acoustic guitar.

The fundamental problem there for me is that what always made U2 special was their riffs, melodies, and soundscapes. Writing a song that's stripped down to an acoustic version, or that's based purely on chords/classic songwriting structures takes away a lot of the elements that make the band special, and leaves them with stuff they're not necessarily great at.

The result is SoI and SoE; two albums that are decent, but never blast off into the stratosphere like the Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung baby or even All that You Can't Leave Behind.

The band have expressed an interest in traditional songwriting and having new songs stand up in a stripped down form, and if that's what they're interested in pursuing then that's their choice. But I'm not convinced they'll ever be able to generate anything truly special using that sort of method, because they're just not that sort of band.

My 'ideal' next u2 album would be something produced again by Eno and Lanois, with a focus on soundscapes and big guitar riffs. Maybe it's not traditional song writing, maybe the songs wouldn't sound as strong just played on a piano, but it's what they're good at and I think it's the only way they'll make anything close to great again.

Agree totally with these last few posts.

To summarize ... Edge needs to grow some balls and start making big sounds again. SOI and SOE are sonically sterile.

Contrast with a song like WILATW which is 100% Edge.

That may be overstating just a tad for the guy who produced the likes of Licensed to Ill, Reign in Blood, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication, Wildflowers and countless others

Ehh. I think Pop is better than all of those, both writing and production-wise.

Rubin’s philosophy does not mesh with a unique band like U2. And like, would you tell Brian Wilson to stop messing around so much in the studio? Fuck that.

I’ll give him fair dues for the Beastie Boys, but Pettys album doesn’t rest on the producer, more so his god given songwriting talent.

But Red Hot Chili Peppers? Absolutely putrid band.

I’ll give him fair dues for the Beastie Boys, but Pettys album doesn’t rest on the producer, more so his god given songwriting talent.

But Red Hot Chili Peppers? Absolutely putrid band.

as i said...ignorant.

Frederick Jay Rubin (/ˈruːbɪn/; born March 10, 1963) is an American record producer and former co-president of Columbia Records. Along with Russell Simmons, he is the co-founder of Def Jam Recordings and also established American Recordings. With the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Geto Boys, and Run-DMC, Rubin helped popularize hip hop music.

Rubin has also worked with artists such as AC/DC, Adele, Aerosmith, At The Drive-In, Audioslave, Black Sabbath, Coheed And Cambria, Damien Rice, Danzig, Dixie Chicks, Ed Sheeran, Eminem, Frank Ocean, Gogol Bordello, Jakob Dylan, Jay Z, Jake Bugg, James Blake, Joe Strummer, Johnny Cash, Jovanotti, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Kid Rock, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Led Zeppelin, Linkin Park, Melanie C, Metallica, Mick Jagger, Neil Diamond, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shakira, Sheryl Crow, Slayer, Slipknot, Suitors of Penelope, System of a Down, The Avett Brothers, The Black Crowes, The Cult, The Four Horsemen, The Mars Volta, The Smashing Pumpkins, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Trouble, Type O Negative, Weezer, Dan Auerbach, The Black Keys and ZZ Top.

In 2007, MTV called him "the most important producer of the last 20 years", and the same year Rubin appeared on Time's 100 Most Influential People in the World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

he must really suck with a resume like that.

your shitty take is objectively ridiculous.

Last edited:
playing devil's advocate here, we know Rick Rubin has an amazing discography up in his production sleeve but his production choices can be very questionable, favoring loudness and simplistic idea of "aggression" or whatever rather than creating something actually interesting. but again I'm not saying Rick is entirely trash, its just that he is kinda overrated in that regard. but move on.

also according to guys from Slipknot, Rick rarely comes to studio and even if he does, he just rarely says anything. also there's a vid of him producing Black Sabbath, Rick was literally lying bed and talking to the band thru intercom, that sounds.......just weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom