LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I got about 10 minutes in, hopping around. I turned it off when he called "Lemon" U2's worst song "like...ever. About a stupid car." Is this supposed to be comedy? Installation art? Because the fact these guys think they have the nous to review commercial jingles, let alone recorded music, is hilarious to me.

I'd complain but something tells me no one is paying them to do this.

Goddamn they were brutal lol

"U2 are the 'Two and a Half Men' of music."

...yeesh :X

U2 certainly hasn't won any fans over with this record... which is kind of a shame, because I genuinely enjoy the album (I'd rate it about on par w/ Springsteen's, "Wrecking Ball").
Happy (and a bit surprised) to hear they "enjoyed" (i.e. tolerated) The Showman, tho. Quality lil' ditty the band cooked up there

Last edited:
Goddamn they were brutal lol

"U2 are the 'Two and a Half Men' of music."

...yeesh :X

U2 certainly hasn't won any fans over with this record... which is kind of a shame, because I genuinely enjoy the album (I'd rate it about on par w/ Springsteen's, "Wrecking Ball").

Yeah I'd agree. It's really solid. I still place it like 6th or so in the catalogue, maybe 7, but I enjoy it. Unlike NLOTH, where I think they swung hard on a bad hunch and missed (with a better album likely out there somewhere based on the initial idea) or SOI, where something external to the album doomed it, this is good but fell on deaf ears with a bad lead single. I just think people tune out U2 now. But modern music is dead anyways. There is no pop left really, no punk, hip hop is also dying, and rock is just rehash. Maybe the next wave will be a meld of these things tinged with anger and protest (we're due), and albums as an art form will fully come back.

Long winded way of saying I don't care what these idiots think, and they probably thought Zooropa was stupid and found TUF boring.

Two ideas on new album:

1. Since they are all about strict songwriting structure now, why not try again with Rick Rubin?

2. Lillywhite worked on some SOE songs; how about an album entirely produced by him like their first three?

Eh, I still find lots to enjoy in modern music (even the occasional pop song!)--it's the rampant vitriol spewed at U2 I don't quite fully understand.
(...rereading that last line, it sounds like it's tinged w/ some sort of "Leave Bono alone!" mentality, but that's not really where my head's at lol)
I mean, I'm not questioning why anyone would dare criticize or rebuke the band (considering how outspoken Bono can be, it's perfectly understandable, not to mention the unthinkable notion that U2's sound just might not cater to the entirety of the Earth's population), but rather the attitude that the band's current output is a blight on U2's legacy and shouldn't be given the time of day (kinda sorta an exaggeration, but also kinda sorta not... lol?). For my money (as well as my luscious ossicles), HTDAAB is far and away the most disappointing output from the band (note: not their worst, which is unarguably October. don't bother disputing this--you either agree or you're wrong ;p), so from my perspective, U2 appears to be on an upward slope: I felt NLOTH was an improvement with some much needed experimentation (but definitely didn't go far enough), and contains the band's greatest song of the millennium (note: it's Moment of Surrender; again, any attempts at arguing otherwise are futile). As a whole, however, the record just doesn't work for me (still better structured than Bomb's splintered mess, imo). But U2 follows this up with--caution: controversial opinion time--their most cohesive work... period. It's unfortunate that the record fails to reach the highest highs that so many of their previous albums have achieved, but that criticism is offset somewhat by Bono finally finding something worthwhile to sing about again (the couple of albums prior consisted of just way too many "Bono-isms" (i.e. vague notions of love and grandiose bromides) for my liking).

Honestly, I've completely lost where the fuck I'm going with this post, but it had something to do with feeling at odds concerning my seemingly outlier appreciation for U2's output this millennium when compared to most others (i.e. I felt that, overall, the band's status after Bomb was--again, imo--much more cause for concern for me as a fan than how I view them now).

but yeah, i kinda don't feel like finishing this post (as if I haven't droned long enough) hah. Sleep well, fellow Interferencers :drunk:

Last edited:
Ehh. You can say what you want about The Bomb, but at least it had energy and was the band playing their own instruments with a couple trusted people behind the boards, instead of 5 other musicians playing guitar and 15 producers.

There's nothing on that album as terrible as Get Out, and I'll take every track on there over American Soul and The Best Thing, too.

The vitriol directed at U2 is based on their refusal to get off the stage. It's hurting their legacy with younger generations.

Olds still love the shit out of U2

As a young, the refusal to stop creating is a huge plus in my book. Sure, they’d get better press as a nostalgia act but I prefer a band who keeps reaching.

As a young, the refusal to stop creating is a huge plus in my book. Sure, they’d get better press as a nostalgia act but I prefer a band who keeps reaching.
Ok so that's not what I said.

I said their refusal to get off the stage.

Meaning how they still try to push themselves I to the mainstream spotlight with every album release rather than step aside and let someone else have it.

Not trying to be the biggest band in the world anymore doesn't mean they have to stop creating

You can say what you want about The Bomb, but at least it had energy and was the band playing their own instruments with a couple trusted people behind the boards...

But I thought we were all supposed to flip out every time it was just one singular person or entity behind the desk for every song? (Jacknife, Thomas, Lillywhite,, et. al.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom