LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not thrilled with some of the ticketing shit that's happened with LN (which seems to be the way the industry is going, so not sure how much might be different if they didn't stay with LN), but I'm not surprised they've re-signed.

Despite all the fantastic tracks, which there are undoubtedly a fair amount of, I'll look back on this era with frustration at what could have been. They could have stuck with Danger Mouse for SOI instead of unnecessary late-hour producers like Tedder and Epworth, and we still would have the great songs from that album, and likely even more. They could have refrained from all the additional musicians and producers on SOE and again, we'd probably have just as many if not more standouts.

Not to mention the What If? of them not releasing SOI via surprise iTunes dump and retaining the original track order, which would have meant Reach Around getting to open the album and being assured a spot on the tour, instead of being completely ignored.

I personally thought Danger Mouse (who I think is incredibly overrated in general) added very little to U2's sound, bordering on clueless at times. If anything he took so much off it, with his production offering no sense of time, space or atmosphere. That's the essence of U2 in my mind and it's something Andy Barlow captured really well in the tracks he worked on in SOE.

Is it really good news, though?

My take is that this deal is more about touring ($$$$$) than new music.

So if you want more tours, it’s great news.
If you want more new music, you will likely get that too but to a much lesser extent.

However, if you were disappointed with the ticket process from what was made available to the cost of those tickets (like me) this is a bit of a mixed bag.

As long as thy play Streets....I’m okay with higher ticket prices but anything over $400 a ticket they better play Streets 2x and no snap chat filters or bull horns!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally thought Danger Mouse (who I think is incredibly overrated in general) added very little to U2's sound, bordering on clueless at times. If anything he took so much off it, with his production offering no sense of time, space or atmosphere. That's the essence of U2 in my mind and it's something Andy Barlow captured really well in the tracks he worked on in SOE.

I think they will keep Barlow around. Didn’t he oversee their sound on the Joshua Tree tour?

I think they will keep Barlow around. Didn’t he oversee their sound on the Joshua Tree tour?

He did indeed. RS had a number of articles from that time that mentioned the mobile recording he was doing with them. I was never clear on whether Jolyon Thomas was part of that process (the tour recording), but there you go. I was very impressed with Barlow's tracks on SoE and would be interested in hearing more. Apparently he was credited with fixing and organizing "Little Things" , which had bounced around for years and multiple producers.

IbPGYG0.gif

You sound like someone who never listened to Sleep Like A Baby Tonight or The Troubles. Or Invisible, for that matter.

Barlow did a great job, but we're talking one or two songs that he did.

Rumor has it they've another 10 year deal with Live Nation.. so it's probably safe to assume they'll be around into their late 60s.

https://www.atu2.com/news/column-off-the-record--vol-18-774.html

assuming there's a Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour, and a farewell tour, that probably leaves room for one more album somewhere along the way

Ofcourse I’m sure they could cancel the contract at any point in time, but to me this is great news since it signifies their intent to keep on going for a long time.

I know this isn't the thread to add this but it seems an active one, but..

Happy 75th Birthday to Mick Jagger!!

That doesn’t mean they necessarily HAVE to tour all the way up to 2030 or whatever. Just means that as long as they tour, it’ll be through LN.

I assume that as long as the band remain healthy and able, they’ll continue to tour through the 2020s. Maybe do what the Stones do, with no more than 20 shows per year. Hit Europe one year, North America the next, South America and Australia after that, etc.

All I know that as long as they can continue to perform at the level they did when I saw them in Chicago, there’s no reason not to continue.

So the alleged new LN deal makes me think the new album wait could be a little longer than the usual 3-5 years, especially if there's an Achtung Baby 30th Anniversary Tour. I don't think they'd want to repeat the last two years of tour scheduling (two different tours in two consecutive years).

On the other hand, there's no guarantee that there will even be a 30th anniversary tour for Achtung Baby. Maybe they'll release their next album around 2021 and then play a lot of Achtung Baby songs on that new tour like the 2011 leg of 360?

All I know that as long as they can continue to perform at the level they did when I saw them in Chicago, there’s no reason not to continue.

The one thing that stuck out from a recent interview w/ Adam was how they travel/rest/eat/heal now during tours helps prolong so many musical acts. Saying how going on 60 they feel really good being on the road and that helps so much during performances.

There are so many bands now touring in their 60's-80's. Its quite remarkable & awesome for fans.

Side note - I picked up the vinyl re-issues of AB and Zooropa today. Fun stuff. Nothing crazy and the vinyl is top notch. Recommend picking them up.

Early morning
Exam Room 4
A finger reaches in
to the cavity
Free and clear
The doctor said
It will not take my prostate

In the ass with lube
One digit in the ass with lube

You're not the only one
Staring in my buns
Afraid of what you'd find