LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it! Thank you!

You’re welcome! :wave:

I finally got around to watching the latest subscriber video on U2.com and Bono says in it that he would like the next album to be a “balls-to-the-wall rock album.” So there’s a tidbit to get us through the next three years. :lol: :crack:

I finally got around to watching the latest subscriber video on U2.com and Bono says in it that he would like the next album to be a “balls-to-the-wall rock album.” So there’s a tidbit to get us through the next three years. :lol: :crack:

So 12-13 variations of Song For Someone

Good find! Guess they're showing no signs of an esoteric 'Songs of Ascent' style album anytime soon. Sounds like they (or Bono at least) want more Blackout/American soul/Vertigo type stuff.

Which makes sense - Blackout kicked all kinds of ass on the last tour.

(Also any chance someone could upload the video?)

Yes, please upload or at least give us more quotes for those of us who are too cheap to subscribe! Haha

He sounds really slurred at the very beginning and then talks about the lightbulb in his bedroom and the music he listened to when he was a kid. He also says that the band was playing really well on the E stage and then said the thing about the next album. Then he said that he needs to go for a walk and read some books and flirt with his wife for a while.

Fuck, you guys. I'm actually thinking about dropping $50 on U2.com just so I don't have to rely on others uploading the live double album tracks.

No publisher is going to pay big bucks for a memoir that glosses over the pivital moments in his life.

Nah, any book ostensibly authored by Bono (let's be real, there will be some degree of ghostwriting, there always is) will sell shitloads even if it is just a reprint of his on-stage speeches. I doubt it would be, but hell, what a scam that would be, just get some bootlegs and transcribe them. I'm half tempted to do it!

In seriousness I do take your points. Yes, we'd get more detail, further insights, and new perspectives. There are more than enough diehard fans who'd love it, of course, and people who haven't spent the last however many years living and breathing this band will find out much they don't know.

But the thing is, the man's life has been laid out before us on a platter anyway. So I'm sorry if I'm still just not very interested. I already know more about this man than I care to know, more than I know about people I see on a regular basis. SOI and SOE already feel like memoirs.

So, hey, if you want Bono providing more insight about shit we already know, and maybe dropping a couple of cool new nuggets, great. It'd be a good read, of course. But it's the other three in the band who actually have untold stories - not just stories that can be fleshed out further, but stuff that would legit surprise even lifers like us.

Fuck, you guys. I'm actually thinking about dropping $50 on U2.com just so I don't have to rely on others uploading the live double album tracks.

2 things!

1- thanks for reminding me to renew
2-for what it’s worth, the subscription is “only” $40 this year

In seriousness I do take your points. Yes, we'd get more detail, further insights, and new perspectives. There are more than enough diehard fans who'd love it, of course, and people who haven't spent the last however many years living and breathing this band will find out much they don't know.

I think you both have good points here. Is there potential for more details on things and stories we haven't heard? Definitely. No one's life is that much out in the open and I'm sure there's a lot things we haven't ever heard of yet. But it'll be curious to see what's actually expanded on here that wasn't already in interviews or U2 by U2. I doubt a publisher would be much interested in having him go over the finer points of, say, Lovetown or Passengers sessions other than general observations (if that). There's got to be some things that will appeal to people who aren't necessarily fans already, and there's a lot of big things with him that have been put out there already. Not all, but he's not exactly unknown either.

I'm sure a lot of us on here will be buying the thing anyway. But if things are expanded upon a bit more that would be a curiosity to the others (like his near-death experience, for example), I'm sure that'll leak out and be posted on here once someone gets an advance copy.

I think it would be unlikely for Bono to write a traditional memoir. I dont know what the book would be about but it would certainly be more than "on my way to the studio i got a text from bowie" style anecdotes.

Another reason i don't think he'd write one is that he'd have to expose his bandmate's private lives and I don't think they'd want that.

Even if it was a straight story of his life it would be revealing. We actually don't know much about his life. He's done a great job of being everywhere for 30 years while also being relatively private. I think it's more likely that he writes a novel or a non-fiction work with an emphasis on spirituality and international development or something - not that i believe the rumour that he's writing a book.

So 12-13 variations of Song For Someone

Seriously. And didn't they already do their "balls to the wall" rock album with Bomb? I hate that album, so really loathing this latest news. Look, these guys need to own what they are. Maybe I expect too much. Earlier in the thread we discussed the MDH tracks. I forgot the ones they put out (except Stateless and TGBHF), but listened to "Never Let Me Go" again. The missing ingredient that those songs had tat te recent stuff doesn't is confidence. And guts. They were doing some odd stuff, but it worked. I love it when this band keeps us guessing but gives hints of the familiar, avoiding the impression they let off the gas to have appeal. I fear that with this direction.

Seriously. And didn't they already do their "balls to the wall" rock album with Bomb? I hate that album, so really loathing this latest news. Look, these guys need to own what they are. Maybe I expect too much. Earlier in the thread we discussed the MDH tracks. I forgot the ones they put out (except Stateless and TGBHF), but listened to "Never Let Me Go" again. The missing ingredient that those songs had tat te recent stuff doesn't is confidence. And guts. They were doing some odd stuff, but it worked. I love it when this band keeps us guessing but gives hints of the familiar, avoiding the impression they let off the gas to have appeal. I fear that with this direction.

I agree. They have it in them to do some great rock songs, obviously we see some good stuff from them in the past especially in the 90's, Fly, Zoo Station, Even Better, Until The End of the World, Dirty Day, Daddy's gonna pay, Hold Me Thrill Me, Discotheque, Do you Feel Loved, mofo, Gone, etc...

HTDAAB is probably my least favorite album. And its because they went to doing rock songs that just weren't that unique. To straight forward or cheezy rawk sound.

I would much rather hear an album where they just focus on creativity and whether that produces harder rock songs or more gentle atmospheric stuff, so be it. Just don't like the idea of picking a model of song first and then restricting their writing into that framework.

I would much rather hear an album where they just focus on creativity and whether that produces harder rock songs or more gentle atmospheric stuff, so be it. Just don't like the idea of picking a model of song first and then restricting their writing into that framework.

I wouldn't allow it to be a much of a conern.

They'll change their collective mind a dozen or so times before the next album is finalized anyway.

I wouldn't allow it to be a much of a conern.

They'll change their collective mind a dozen or so times before the next album is finalized anyway.

very true. Just surprised me that this was their first thought on direction. Maybe the bizarre choice of album of the year for HTDAAB has got them thinking...

giphy.gif

I would like to see more experimental atmospheric stuff, along the lines of Passengers and the MDH soundtrack. They seemed to be intending to go in this direction with NLOTH, and I was really excited about that album for that reason, but they were either too nervous and decided to play it safe or just overthought the whole thing (or both). Anyway, I could really do without another album of them trying to make rock songs that will chart in the Top 40.

HTDAAB is the post-Pop album I tolerate the most, but the band's recent attempts to rawk do not bode well.

But really I don't care whether they decide to go borderline metal or softer than UF b-sides, I just want a coherent vision without a billion cooks spoiling the broth. I suspect that no matter what style or approach the band choose, I will enjoy it much more than I have enjoyed the last three albums if it is simply focused and not over-thought or over-produced.

But really I don't care whether they decide to go borderline metal or softer than UF b-sides, I just want a coherent vision without a billion cooks spoiling the broth. I suspect that no matter what style or approach the band choose, I will enjoy it much more than I have enjoyed the last three albums if it is simply focused and not over-thought or over-produced.

We're still fighting, but this times a million.

At this point in their careers I don't need the second coming of Joshua Tree. I don't need them to be atmospheric, experimental, chimey guitars or industrial crunch. I just want them to stick with a coherent theme and not dilute it in the name of chasing pop chart relevance.

Each of the last three albums suffered because they couldn't just see the vision out because they felt they needed a radio hit.

We're still fighting, but this times a million.

At this point in their careers I don't need the second coming of Joshua Tree. I don't need them to be atmospheric, experimental, chimey guitars or industrial crunch. I just want them to stick with a coherent theme and not dilute it in the name of chasing pop chart relevance.

Each of the last three albums suffered because they couldn't just see the vision out because they felt they needed a radio hit.

While I agree with the first part of this statement for the most part, when i take a real look back, I think No Line is really the only album I can say was fucked up by chasing chart relevance.

Look at SOI. That album is just solid. I don't really like Song for Someone, and would have much rather had the brilliant Crystal Ballroom take its place.
But what destroyed that album was the Apple debacle, and the choice of first single.
I've said it before, but if Every Breaking Wave was the first single, and they had just put a little pop up on everyones iphone that asked if they wanted to accept or decline the U2 album for free on their phones, I think the band would be in a very different place.

Miracle would have been a decent album cut. Raised by Wolves, Sleep like a baby, Iris, Cedarwood Rd, the Troubles!!, Reach..., even Californian, None of these are chasing chart success in my eyes. Just solid tunes that got completely shit on because of the release.

I see it more on SOE, American Soul and Get Out should not have made the cut, and the fact that they were showcased as singles is just such a terrible decision.

Best thing, while poppy, was a strong song and actually holds up well for me and not a bad first single choice. Would have been cool if they went with Summer of Love or Red Flag first, or even as follow up singles.

I am hoping for just solid material that is cohesive and strong throughout. I think the last two albums were close, with SOI being the high mark in that respect. They have it in them, but need people around them to guide them in their decisions, especially on first single choices, and to shed off the both the bland (Get Out) and the lame rawk (American Soul)

While I agree with the first part of this statement for the most part, when i take a real look back, I think No Line is really the only album I can say was fucked up by chasing chart relevance.

Look at SOI. That album is just solid. I don't really like Song for Someone, and would have much rather had the brilliant Crystal Ballroom take its place.

But what destroyed that album was the Apple debacle, and the choice of first single.

I've said it before, but if Every Breaking Wave was the first single, and they had just put a little pop up on everyones iphone that asked if they wanted to accept or decline the U2 album for free on their phones, I think the band would be in a very different place.

Miracle would have been a decent album cut. Raised by Wolves, Sleep like a baby, Iris, Cedarwood Rd, the Troubles!!, Reach..., even Californian, None of these are chasing chart success in my eyes. Just solid tunes that got completely shit on because of the release.

I see it more on SOE, American Soul and Get Out should not have made the cut, and the fact that they were showcased as singles is just such a terrible decision.

Best thing, while poppy, was a strong song and actually holds up well for me and not a bad first single choice. Would have been cool if they went with Summer of Love or Red Flag first, or even as follow up singles.

I am hoping for just solid material that is cohesive and strong throughout. I think the last two albums were close, with SOI being the high mark in that respect. They have it in them, but need people around them to guide them in their decisions, especially on first single choices, and to shed off the both the bland (Get Out) and the lame rawk (American Soul)
You said you disagreed with my assessment that the last two albums were compromised by their chase of relevance, and then proceeded to point out all of the things they did on the last two albums that were done in pursuit of relevance ;)

I never said the entire albums were bad - I said they were compromised by bad decisions that were made on the interest of trying to stay hip and cool with the kids.

Songs of Godamnit Where The Hell Did I Leave The Keys To My Maserati

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom