LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the stones, I would definitely wait until about 2 weeks before the show and then start checking TM multiple times per day. That’s my preferred method now with these high priced shows. That’s how I got so close to U2 in both 2017 and 2018. Also worked with Elton and DMB tickets. Waiting it out pays off... they will lower the prices.

$390 bucks for 200s by the 50 yard line.

If only he were.

They have 2 GA pits in front of the stage...only way to get those I saw yesterday was a $1,599.00 a ticket "Start Me Up Package" which also included lithographs. They had other VIP packages at like $699.00 and some as "low" as $349.00, that got you seats towards the back of the stadium plus some other crap.

Regular ticket prices were $494.50 for the middle front field reserved seats and $394.50 for balance of field seats and all the lowers back to just past midfield were $394.50. Then they dropped to $194.50, and they had GA at the back of the field (behind all the reserved seats ) for $134.50
Some of the 300 levels were $94.50 and the absolute highest rows were $64.50, but you need a telescope from there to see anything.

And of course scattered everywhere were Ticketmaster's wonderful "Platinum Tickets".

Any of the "good" lower sections by the stage the face vale $394.50 seats were all like 25 rows up, anything lower than that was either the $699.00 "Mick is a prick and Keef is a thief" package or they were platinum for stupid money like $800 a seat or more. They even had Platinum tickets at the front rows of the 300 sections so you couldn't get those at a somewhat reasonable price, only higher up in the sections.

I don't know who in their right mind pays these prices.

Anybody who pays these prices has more money than sense.

For those prices I would expect my own custom setlist, lasting no less than four hours, with whatever guest appearances I demand.

I'd expect them to turn into a band I actually like, to celebrate my glorious victory over you.

For me, the I&E era began with Invisible, and the 27 songs that followed it are mostly good/great.

Favourites:

Invisible
California
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (both versions)
The Troubles
Love is All We Have Left
Red Flag Day
The Little Things that Give You Away
The Blackout
Book of Your Heart

I have a soft spot for:

Every Breaking Wave
Iris
Volcano
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Lucifer's Hands
The Crystal Ballroom
Lights of Home
Summer of Love
The Showman
Love is Bigger than Anything in its Way

My least favourite songs are The Miracle and Landlady. But they're still not atrocious, just bottom-tier from these outings.

Last edited:
As far as the stones, I would definitely wait until about 2 weeks before the show and then start checking TM multiple times per day. That’s my preferred method now with these high priced shows. That’s how I got so close to U2 in both 2017 and 2018. Also worked with Elton and DMB tickets. Waiting it out pays off... they will lower the prices.

I did the same for the last 3 U2 tours and this years DMB tours. What I'm wondering is that maybe going to shows aren't as popular as they once were? Also, in U2's case touring 3 of the last 5 years may have something to do with it?

Sorry Ax in your case they've had 3 tours in Australia in the last 20 years... Oh wait. :reject:

I did the same for the last 3 U2 tours and this years DMB tours. What I'm wondering is that maybe going to shows aren't as popular as they once were? Also, in U2's case touring 3 of the last 5 years may have something to do with it?

Sorry Ax in your case they've had 3 tours in Australia in the last 20 years... Oh wait. :reject:
Touring is not as popular, but not by huge margins.

This is a purposeful move by promoters to charge the rates that the secondary market would charge right off the bat to squeeze them out and keep the profits for themselves, which makes actual business sense if you want to be impartial about it. It sucks for fans, but what else is new?

They drop prices as the show gets closer. It often leads to non sold out shows, but also leads to higher revenues.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that angle. Won't the staplers still scoop them up when they're lowered? They're checking as often (if not more) than fans are.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that angle. Won't the staplers still scoop them up when they're lowered? They're checking as often (if not more) than fans are.
It takes the incentive out - because the prices only drop on Ticketmaster when the demand slows.

The thought is that if you wouldn't pay $500 for it in Ticketmaster, you're not going to pay $500 for it on StubHub. So Ticketmaster drops it to $300. What markup is really left for the secondary market at that point to make their money?

Got it. Obviously the fans still suffer, albeit to a lesser extent.

Glad my autocorrect typo changing scalpers to staplers didn’t derail my question.

tumblr_mfrk9shn5x1s1kqrno1_500.gif

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she’s filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I’m collating so I don’t see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

This is a purposeful move by promoters to charge the rates that the secondary market would charge right off the bat to squeeze them out and keep the profits for themselves, which makes actual business sense if you want to be impartial about it. It sucks for fans, but what else is new?

They drop prices as the show gets closer. It often leads to non sold out shows, but also leads to higher revenues.

Yup. That's the trade-off for some shows that do it this way, unfortunately.

When the Stones came by my area a few years ago, I refused to pay $430 for the Row 40 field ticket that came up for me when they went on sale to the public. But I kept checking StubHub in the days leading up to the show though... and maybe two days before the show, I saw some decent Row 4 seats and bought one for a "meager" $200. I got to be 20 feet away from Mick and Keith for half the price they were trying to get out of me originally, which did feel a little good!

McCartney was a similar situation too. The prices on StubHub were a bit lower than the face value for even the floor seats closest to the stage. It depends on your expectations and how demand shakes out, I'm sure. But if you're not too picky, you can almost always get some sort of deal on the second hand market.

There’s a rumor on Twitter that Bono is writing his memoirs. Supposedly he’s going to turn it in to the publishers in the summer and it will be released in 2020. I wonder how the timing of this will fit in with the next album cycle. Or (doomsday scenario) does this mean there won’t be one? I don’t really believe that, myself.

There’s a rumor on Twitter that Bono is writing his memoirs. Supposedly he’s going to turn it in to the publishers in the summer and it will be released in 2020. I wonder how the timing of this will fit in with the next album cycle. Or (doomsday scenario) does this mean there won’t be one? I don’t really believe that, myself.
It does this mean that Bono On Broadway will be coming to the Walter Kerr in fall if 2020?

Bono memoirs? What in the world could he possibly have to say that is new? For the past 30 years he has not stopped talking, lecturing, pontificating, and his last 2 albums (yes they are more Bono albums that U2 albums) are comprised of all personal, Bono-specific songs.

What exactly is there to learn about him at this point? That he is a closet neocon?

I’m guessing that he will go into minute detail about everything that’s ever happened in his entire life. This is going to be one massive tome. The man does tend to go on a bit. :wink:

Ahh the Bono memoirs, for the three fans (Sil plus a couple of atu2 staffers) for whom SOI, SOE, IE, EI, Bono On Bono, U2 By U2, and most of the rest of the musical and printed output related to this band has simply not revealed enough about him.

Ahh the Bono memoirs, for the three fans (Sil plus a couple of atu2 staffers) for whom SOI, SOE, IE, EI, Bono On Bono, U2 By U2, and most of the rest of the musical and printed output related to this band has simply not revealed enough about him.

Yeah, exactly. I'm a diehard and I groaned when I heard this. We don't need this. It'd be one thing if it was a revealing testimony behind the lyrics and journey of a person we knew little about, like "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis, or a revealing take on a closeted artist often misunderstood, like "Cash on Cash", but Bono is easily the most outspoken rock artist of the last 30 years. If anything, it will be mocked and spoofed, as the band has steadily lost capital with the public amidst declining audiences and general stupid decisions. Oh, and awful singles.

Something tells me he saw what Springsteen did over this past year with his book and show, with great success, and thinks he can do it too. Springsteen, however, bleeds sincerity and humility while Bono spent a decade mocking it. It won't work.

I mean... shitting on the recent musical output is one thing. Shitting on a rumored, unreleased memoir just screams shitting on for shitting on's sake.

Love him or hate him the guy has lived a crazy interesting life. There's plenty of content to fill a book if it's done well, and Bono isn't exactly a shitty story teller.

Dirty Day was a clusterfuck and most of his speeches in recent years have been a string of platitudes. It's been a long time since he has said anything even faintly insightful.

I'm not even being hyperbolic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom