LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think it’s going to be a longer break than usual for them. They know they’re getting old. I do however think the next album will be their last.

I think it's 2 to 3 years. I also think it's a nostalgia tour - be it a straight up Achtung Baby anniversary or (my preference) a ZooTV (Zoo.com? iZoo that shows up unannounced at your house) anniversary that isn't necessarily locked in to playing the album in full.

I think if they sit down to try and write a new album right now it'll drag on, they'll get bored or annoyed, and they'll call it quits.

After some time away and a triumphant touring return, they might find the energy to write one last album. And write it for themselves, not to chase down radio hits.

I also think they need to be an old band for a while, embrace their legacy, rebuild some of the good will that was lost over the whole stupid iPhone debacle.

This past era was a self reflective era. Now that the tour is over they can take time off. I’d love to see them loo towards the future and getting into a more musically diverse period in the future.

I don’t expect them to do anything or try to be anyone but themselves. Always trying to please all of us and pissing off half of us in the process.

I’m happy with whatever they do.

U2start are reporting that apparently the U2 crew have been asked for time commitments from August to December 2019, possibly for an Australia/New Zealand tour. So maybe only half a year off and then back on the road?

U2start are reporting that apparently the U2 crew have been asked for time commitments from August to December 2019, possibly for an Australia/New Zealand tour. So maybe only half a year off and then back on the road?

U2start is also saying that it will be a stadium run. I’m already suspecting they’ll reuse the Joshua Tree stage without the livery.

Also, August to December makes me think it’ll be more than Australia and New Zealand. They should do some shows in Asia, South Africa and the Middle East.

After some time away and a triumphant touring return, they might find the energy to write one last album. And write it for themselves, not to chase down radio hits.

I see this written on every major band's message board at some point or another. I'm still not really sure what it means other than just wishing a band would write the songs they want to hear. Or something that provides the appropriate cred that a fanbase expects after 5-15 albums or whatever it is.

This band could probably rely a little less on the I–V–vi–IV chord progressions for the next album, considering the last two had them in droves. But I don't really subscribe to the idea that they're just some ambient band raging to get out from beneath the guitars, bass and drums. You get in a room and you jam on some instruments until you have something interesting to hear. If you restrict that process beyond that, then odds are the final product will sound even more contrived than what people imagine they're hearing now.

Overall, I don't think that process has really changed that much over the years. Just the surge of the Internet and us analyzing a major band that does hundreds of interviews, which might give us an insight as to .5% of the songwriting process, if even that.

For me personally, just get in a room and record some stuff, and at the end of the day I'll either like it or not. If I don't, I move on with my life and find something else to listen to in the meantime. And probably acts that don't yet have the thousands of fans or hits to justify someone thinking one way is right and the other one isn't. But the good news is that they're still recording... and I'll always have an ear open to what they've got. And even if I only end up liking a few tracks on an album, that's better than nothing for me at this point.

I see this written on every major band's message board at some point or another. I'm still not really sure what it means other than just wishing a band would write the songs they want to hear. Or something that provides the appropriate cred that a fanbase expects after 5-15 albums or whatever it is.

This band could probably rely a little less on the I–V–vi–IV chord progressions for the next album, considering the last two had them in droves. But I don't really subscribe to the idea that they're just some ambient band raging to get out from beneath the guitars, bass and drums. You get in a room and you jam on some instruments until you have something interesting to hear. If you restrict that process beyond that, then odds are the final product will sound even more contrived than what people imagine they're hearing now.

Overall, I don't think that process has really changed that much over the years. Just the surge of the Internet and us analyzing a major band that does hundreds of interviews, which might give us an insight as to .5% of the songwriting process, if even that.

For me personally, just get in a room and record some stuff, and at the end of the day I'll either like it or not. If I don't, I move on with my life and find something else to listen to in the meantime. And probably acts that don't yet have the thousands of fans or hits to justify someone thinking one way is right and the other one isn't. But the good news is that they're still recording... and I'll always have an ear open to what they've got. And even if I only end up liking a few tracks on an album, that's better than nothing for me at this point.
To me it doesn't mean any particular style or that they need to experiment more it anything like that.

Clearly they have made decisions on each of the last three albums (possibly 4 if you could Bomb, even though that one was a change that worked out) where they have changed their vision for the albums in order to make the records more likely to be picked up commercially. Whether it's the middle 3 on No Line, abandoning Danger Mouse on Innocence, or going all in with Ryan Tedder on Experience.

So when I personally say I'd like them to write for them, I mean that I hope they see their vision for the album through and don't compromise it because they don't feel there's anything radio friendly enough on the album.

Safe to say the band is not going to just take the JT Tour to Oceania, nor will they exclude those songs due to the length of time since they've been there. And they can't just do e+i because no one there has seen the SOI songs performed.

So what will be of interest to all of us is to see how the i+e/e+i setup and setlists are combined while still making room for JT. And it would be unfair to only play the latter's hits and not give any of the side 2 songs a chance. So maybe we get 2 of the first 4 (Streets and WOWY), and then a couple more selections like One Tree Hill and Exit?

Could wind up being some of the best setlists in years if they do it right. Which they won't, because the priority songs from SOI and SOE are going to be all the lame singles, with most the superior songs getting dropped.

Could wind up being some of the best setlists in years if they do it right. Which they won't, because the priority songs from SOI and SOE are going to be all the lame singles, with most the superior songs getting dropped.

U2 Down Under 2019 Standard Set list (zero variation from show to show):

1. The Miracle (Of Jeffrey Hyman)
2. Lights of Home
3. I Will Follow
4. Song For Someone
5. Beautiful Day
6. Iris
7. Get Out of Your Own Way
8. American Soul (Large Australian flag unfurled)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (recent slow version)
10. Until The End of The World

Intermission: Video OF Headache and Axver fighting, musical accompaniment is Stand Up Comedy performed by Celine Dion. Eventual winner of fight is a kangaroo who wanders by, knocks both combatants out and makes off with Axver's six pack of Foster's.

11. Elevation
12. Angel of Harlem
13. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
14. You're The Best Thing About Me (Acoustic/bongos)
15. Every Breaking Wave (Piano version, Bono & Edge only)
16. Pride
17. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
18. Vertigo
19. City of Blinding Lights
20. With or Without You

Encore Break

21. One
22. 13

2. Lights of Home
3. I Will Follow
4. Song For Someone
5. Beautiful Day
6. Iris

Intermission: Video OF Headache and Axver fighting, musical accompaniment is Stand Up Comedy performed by Celine Dion. Eventual winner of fight is a kangaroo who wanders by, knocks both combatants out and makes off with Axver's six pack of Foster's.

11. Elevation
12. Angel of Harlem
16. Pride
18. Vertigo
20. With or Without You

Encore Break

21. One
22. 13

is Men At Work opening for this?

2. Lights of Home
3. I Will Follow
4. Song For Someone
5. Beautiful Day
6. Iris

11. Elevation
12. Angel of Harlem
16. Pride
18. Vertigo
20. With or Without You

Encore Break

21. One
22. 13

You owe Cobbler a dollar

tumblr_olqa0bQSVm1uovi7yo2_r1_400.gif

I think it's 2 to 3 years. I also think it's a nostalgia tour - be it a straight up Achtung Baby anniversary or (my preference) a ZooTV (Zoo.com? iZoo that shows up unannounced at your house) anniversary that isn't necessarily locked in to playing the album in full.

I think if they sit down to try and write a new album right now it'll drag on, they'll get bored or annoyed, and they'll call it quits.

I also think they need to be an old band for a while, embrace their legacy, rebuild some of the good will that was lost over the whole stupid iPhone debacle.

I think you're dead on here.

Achtung Baby is one of the Great albums but ZOO TV is possibly the best stadium tour by anyone ever so the tour should probably be about celebrating that as much as celebrating Achtung Baby so a set list including all of the album in running order isn't essential.

might not be popular here but I'd love it if they brought Danny and Brian back in, they wrote their best music with them and I am sure there is plenty more water in that well to draw from.

might not be popular here but I'd love it if they brought Danny and Brian back in, they wrote their best music with them and I am sure there is plenty more water in that well to draw from.

I'm really hoping for this as well. U2 aren't quite U2 to me without Eno and Lanois producing.

Things don't bode well for them working together again, though - I believe the last time the band mentioned them was during the SoI promo tour, when Larry said something about their relationship having run it's course/ the well running dry. And, having listened to NLOTH yesterday, I kind of agree - that album has not aged well to me. It's ambitious, experimental feel is admirable, but to me it sounds extremely directionless, weird for the sake of weird, and just doesn't resonate with me the same way all other Eno & Lanois-produced albums have in the past.

I really do hope they work together again, but I think they'd have to have a much more coherent idea of what they want this time round for it to truly be special.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they finally embrace their legacy from here on out with new songs for a soundtrack or as additions to box sets. But it also wouldn’t surprise me if they can’t resist putting out another album of resistance songs around the next presidential election.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they finally embrace their legacy from here on out with new songs for a soundtrack or as additions to box sets. But it also wouldn’t surprise me if they can’t resist putting out another album of resistance songs around the next presidential election.

Lol, “Songs of Resistance”

I don’t expect them to become a “legacy act” but my gut says the next tour will not be tied to an album. Funny to see these 2019 AUS/NZ rumors ties into that. All the Achtung Baby / Zooropa material that showed up on the backend of EI made me less confident in a Zoo TV 2022 tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom