LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has got to be the thread surely that we hear some concrete news about SOE. The wait is just too much ?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

Don't count on it, and don't call me Shirley

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

BREAKING - Larry has left the band, album on hold untill new drummer is found.

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

A little late on that joke.

Why?

I want something new, another departure. Even if i think SOI is a very good improvement over No Line i wish they find a different concept from SOI. Something more ethereal, less direct but with passion. Maybe more like old U2 lol. I know there are now reverse gear on U2 and i admire them for it, but U2 is about big songs, is about layers. SOI is great, but its not that kind of record.

I want something new, another departure. Even if i think SOI is a very good improvement over No Line i wish they find a different concept from SOI. Something more ethereal, less direct but with passion. Maybe more like old U2 lol. I know there are now reverse gear on U2 and i admire them for it, but U2 is about big songs, is about layers. SOI is great, but its not that kind of record.

But title has nothing to do with anything you are talking about. In fact experience is a departure from innocence by definition, so it would fit well into the theme. Why one would think they HAVE to sound similar in order to fit the theme is quite odd.

I just looked through the other Valencia pictures. Bono really does look in good shape. He easily lost 5kg. Maybe that's why he's finally wearing something other than black ;)

All these people getting their photos taken with band members the last few days, I wonder if anyone actually asked about SOE or the tour as we have heard squat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I would guess that August is the month were the shooting for the video ,of the lead single, will take place.

That should be the first sign that something is imminent

Last edited:
But title has nothing to do with anything you are talking about. In fact experience is a departure from innocence by definition, so it would fit well into the theme. Why one would think they HAVE to sound similar in order to fit the theme is quite odd.

I hope so, but i almost sure that won't be the case. I don't mean they will make a carbon copy of SOI, but since ATYCLB they follow the same pattern in sound, as much different all the albums sound since then.
Since 2000 U2 want to sound like modern pop rock. In your face vocals, crisp instruments, very conventional songs structures. They left behind that ethereal, almost celtic flair they had even in Pop. To me, a song like Exit is much more unique like a wannabe experimental rock like Last Night on Earth. Discotheque was maybe the last example of that U2 unique sound.
Maybe In a Little While is in that category too.
Now Stuck in Moment, Vertigo, Moment of Surrender, and Cedarwood Road, all great songs, all different but at the same time all the same.
You have to have a chorus as strong as Pride or ISHFWLF when you intend to stick with that conventional song structure formula in every single song.
When the album is out you will know what i mean.

Last edited:
I hope so, but i almost sure that won't be the case. I don't mean they will make a carbon copy of SOI, but since ATYCLB they follow the same pattern in sound, as much different all the albums sound since then.
Since 2000 U2 want to sound like modern pop rock. In your face vocals, crisp instruments, very conventional songs structures. They left behind that ethereal, almost celtic flair they had even in Pop. To me, a song like Exit is much more unique like a wannabe experimental rock like Last Night on Earth. Discotheque was maybe the last example of that U2 unique sound.
Now Stuck in Moment, Vertigo, Moment of Surrender, and Cedarwood Road, all great songs, all different but at the same time all the same.
You have to have a chorus as strong as Pride or ISHFWLF when you intend to stick with that conventional song structure formula in every single song.

Once again none of this has anything to do with title.

:scratch:

I guess from my point of view, all the talk about stuff "sounding the same" or following this or that formula is sort of a bit lost on me. I don't know a whole lot about songwriting, outside of the few attempts I've done at it over the years. But I do know that a lot of the time, you beat an idea around or throw something out there and see if it sticks somehow. If I were writing something and worried about attempting to sound a certain way or trying to avoid a previously examined sound, there's more of a chance of sounding contrived that way than any other, imo.

At the end of the day, a good song is a good song. And if you have the same four people making music, chances are it'll sound the same to some extent anyway. But they've made enough different-sound songs post-ATYCLB where I can't worry too much about it, personally. And I would say is just put the best ideas out there and I'm sure I'll like at least something from it.

I think most people are disappointed with the production of the songs. Gone are the days of what I call landscaping, where the songs almost took on a cinematic feel

Everything is crisp and clean....very loud compared to production of the past.

And I don't think Bono's lyrics and singing help. He says too much and I feel it suffocates the rest of the band

The disappointment is probably a few things:

1) what comes natural to them, by all accounts, is atmospheric and experimental. They then question everything, and move to the middle of the road.
2) the production steals the soul and character from the songs.
3) it means they take twice as long to release albums as they should
4) they KEEP FUCKING DOING IT

The disappointment is probably a few things:

1) what comes natural to them, by all accounts, is atmospheric and experimental. They then question everything, and move to the middle of the road.
2) the production steals the soul and character from the songs.
3) it means they take twice as long to release albums as they should
4) they KEEP FUCKING DOING IT

Yeah, this.

I mean, there's obviously a world of difference between post Pop/atyclb albums, and the styles, songs and themes on them (vertigo to Fez/Being born, to invisible, Sfs to Cedarwood Road), but there is an undercurrent of everything you mention.

The main thing for me is that soul stealing production. The songs come off as so painstakingly crafted, rather than organic music coming from real people.

I was listening to achtung baby recently, and holy shit the songs like Zoo station and ebttrt sound so warm and human. Like they were crafted and performed then and there (I know they weren't, but that's how it sounds).

Bono kept saying of SoE, that he wanted it to be rough, gritty, released quickly. Don't know how much of that sentiment will survive to release, but I'd be so happy if it did.

Yeah, they talk about wanting to get away from the accessible hits, but for whatever reason they seem to panic at the end and push things back into the glossy/poppy direction.

They've done everything they can to produce a radio hit, and haven't even come close. Rework a song to death (which they do anyway), hire the hot pop producers, and yet they're as irrelevant as they ever have been in their career.

Yeah, they talk about wanting to get away from the accessible hits, but for whatever reason they seem to panic at the end and push things back into the glossy/poppy direction.

They've done everything they can to produce a radio hit, and haven't even come close. Rework a song to death (which they do anyway), hire the hot pop producers, and yet they're as irrelevant as they ever have been in their career.

So they should try the opposite - make music for themselves and their fans, and I think they'd find it had a better outcome

:lol:

I thought it was gonna be this:

(Which, incidentally, was apparently Muse doing 90's u2. It's u2 doing coldplay doing u2 all over again!)

I missed the last 13 threads so I'm probably a bit out of touch. What's this Songs Of Edge talk and Adam playing the kazoo?

Sent from my iPhone 9 from the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom