LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invisible did fall kind of flat. Whilst it being a cool concept, I don't think standing inside the screen is good for performing. There's a disconnect with the audience. I can't imagine any song being suited to it.

Some of you have mentioned you find Bono trying to cram too many
words into his lyrics.

I remember Pete Townshend implying or saying he had that problem,
and that he admired Paul Simon's lyric work.

Maybe because I've been a serious Who fan since 1967 I'm more use to that style. :lol:

I actually just listened to Invisible for the first time in a while and it's a decent song, agree with Bob it was flat live. I saw it in person it created no excitement as I heard the first notes after buying my 10 dollar beer.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i think the idea that "invisible" fell flat live is shared by U2, and the reason for the album delay.

it's a great song on record, and it was reasonably popular so it made the cut for the tour, but i think they got freaked out about how the so-called DM album was going to translate live.

we can talk about how we want slinky grooves and "experimental" U2 and think this says something about our taste level -- but if it doesn't translate live, it's not happening for them.

That chorus really needed an explosion like Beautiful Day, Streets, COBL, etc. Maybe they'll modify the song a little bit and amp it up for the next leg, but I don't expect them to ever play it again.
Maybe an "innocence" themed encore on a future tour or if they tighten up the innocence part of the set to a few songs like Invisible/Reach-Miracle/Reach-IWF-Iris-CW-Troubles-Wolves-UTEOW.
I assume the show will shift more heavy to experience, but still retain the war horses. Because God knows they won't play 30+ songs to fit it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's for sure. I expect a selection of SOI mixed with some early songs that fit the innovence theme, in the first part of the show. Then a few SOE songs with a little rotation in the first shows until they figure out what works best. And finally they'll throw in the usual war horses because they have to. I think we'll see a return of UV, maybe to replace COBL or to complement it as part of the encore. It's just a song that works really well live. And if we don't hear any Pop on these next legs then I guess that album will be forever burried lol

Reading Bono's comments re the album and tour - he said it wasn't quite finished, tour next year, "but you might see a few things in September or October"

I just assumed he meant iHeart Radio and Dreamforce - I'm not so sure that is all he meant. Given both shows are already announced, he had no reason whatsoever to be so coy. I wonder if he is covertly confirming a release schedule.

i think the idea that "invisible" fell flat live is shared by U2, and the reason for the album delay.

it's a great song on record, and it was reasonably popular so it made the cut for the tour, but i think they got freaked out about how the so-called DM album was going to translate live.

we can talk about how we want slinky grooves and "experimental" U2 and think this says something about our taste level -- but if it doesn't translate live, it's not happening for them.
I think that's exactly what happened... because the next thing we heard after they disappeared was the bringing in of Tedder and the concentration in songs Songs SONGS!!!

You had Edge's comments about songs pieced together, a clear shot at Mr Mouse, and I think it was bono who said that the songs needed to be just as good stripped down on a piano as they were on the record.

The irony of it all is that the highest charted song on the year end adult alternative charts that year by U2 was Invisible at #24. Miracle was #36.

Holding on for Life by Broken Bells, btw, finished at #16.

When U2 played "Invisible" on the rooftop on Jimmy Fallon, I thought it was gonna translate pretty well into a live setting. But the way they presented it on I&E almost muted the song's energy. Playing inside the screen worked well during 360 with "Zooropa", suited that song better. It was a low point of the show I saw in Chicago, and that song shouldn't have been.

I really like the song. I really like the music video. In my own head, it is part of the SOI album.

Reading Bono's comments re the album and tour - he said it wasn't quite finished, tour next year, "but you might see a few things in September or October"

I just assumed he meant iHeart Radio and Dreamforce - I'm not so sure that is all he meant. Given both shows are already announced, he had no reason whatsoever to be so coy. I wonder if he is covertly confirming a release schedule.

Yeah, i had the same thought process. It only makes sense for him to be coy if SoE is out around then... or maybe there'll just be a spate of Dreamforce-esque shows that have yet to be announced (but it really sounds like the former).

About Invisible : for me it's another great u2 track. Fresh sounding, way better than The Miracle, which is quite traditional in the line of Vertigo and Boots. I hoped they would break the tradition and release more songs with synths in it, like invisible. I even like the liveversion of this song.

Then why dropping a lot of the Danger Mouse productions??? This great producer delivered a great album with the Red Hot Chili Peppers! What a fresh and melodic album that is!!! I hope his influences on the SOE album are more evident. Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth are okay, but not for something experimental I guess...

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Once again; Invisible fits in very well thematically, but would have stood out like a sore thumb sonically.

Could be referring to a single possibly, buying them at least 6 more months of tinkering time for the album.

#feelingfriskyonaTightrope!

In hindsight I'm very glad Invisible wasn't on the album in the end when you consider how the rest of the album sounded, would have stuck out like a sore thumb *spooky, was typing in the quick reply box, didn't see BVS had said the exact same thing.
The real issue I had was them sticking it at the end of the final track on the bonus disc after a load of silence, like bands used to do with hidden tracks on CDs. And also, making the acoustic session one bloody track on the disc?! Both things are completely fucking unnecessary in this day and age, especially considering how the actual album was released. That's no way to make people try and like a dying format. One step forward, two steps back with these wankers.

Cheers,
J

Last edited:
I'm frankly disappointed we automatically went to shortening it to SOE, and didn't opt for the far more immature 'SExperience'

The real issue I had was them sticking it at the end of the final track on the bonus disc after a load of silence, like bands used to do with hidden tracks on CDs. And also, making the acoustic session one bloody track on the disc?!

Holy cow, all sorts of yes. Even if Invisible had been the usual hidden track, I could have dealt with having to split, cut and encode one whole track in Audacity instead of the nine or twenty that were put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom