LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the circumstances of the 60's music industry, on top of being a group of kids in their 20's at the time, make that a tall order for any band these days though.

Yet again, with what must be in this band's vault nowadays... :hmm:

Beatles also stopped touring too.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1980-1989:
1980 - Boy
1981 - October
1983 - War
1983 - Under A Blood Red Sky
1984 - The Unforgettable Fire
1987 - The Joshua Tree
1988 - Rattle and Hum (album and film)
(6) albums. (1) live EP. (1) feature film/concert film released in the `80's

1990-1999:
1991 - Achtung Baby
1993 - Zooropa
1995 - Passengers
1997 - Pop
(4) 3-U2 albums/1-Passengers album released in the `90's.

2000-2009:
2000 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
2004 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
2009 - No Line On The Horizon
(3) albums released in the `00's

2010-2016 (so far):
2014 - Songs of Innocence
So far... 6.5 years and only one album released.

One could add that Bono and Edge recorded and released the Spiderman Turn Of The Dark soundtrack (and show) in 2010. But that for many fans was more a distraction and not a U2 album. It was something they were able to polish off while Bono was nursing a hurt back.

One can blame touring. But the Zoo tours stretched over 2-years and they still managed to record and release Zooropa.

I get the time lapse around the time of HTDAAB/Vertigo tour. With Sian being ill, I can see why there was no album between HTDAAB (2004) and the end of the 2006 shows.

But with NLOTH, we were once again told that a follow-up would be released sooner than later. If memory serves, he'd said it'd have likely have been released within a year of NLOTH; if not at years end.

But yet the work we'd heard about, Songs of Ascent plus the electronic album with Red 'something or other' both never materialized.

Now, yes... Bono hurt his back in 2010. Tour was put off for a bit. And that time was used by Bono and Edge to finish Spiderman soundtrack and stage show.

Then we got SOI in 2014, Bono got hurt again. The tour was put off until 2015.

Why is it taking longer for albums to be released? Only they can answer. Seems they do work. Lose confidence in said work. And then start anew.

Since before HTDAAB (released in 2004) we've heard the talk of remaining relevant. I get that. But part of being relevant is releasing albums. And it is also following your own muse vs. what one thinks that radio might want.

That is the difference it seems between pre-2000 U2 and present. There was a sense of abandon and experimentation on those albums. Post 2000 there seems to be less of that and more wanting to 'be relevant' and fit in.

I just wish they'd be more concerned about being creative and experimental. Make the music they want vs. the music they think that they have to make to be seen as 'relevant'.

SOI was a great record. It wasn't JT or AB but it was their best in ages, in my view. I think it is their most consistent album start to finish, since POP. So I have high hopes for the next album. And yes, I'm good with them taking the time to get it right. But it does seem like each album takes more and more time since POP.

A lot of veteran acts are like that though. Take Duran Duran, for example. They’re usually consistent about releasing a new album every 3-4 years, which isn’t terrible, compared to a lot of other bands and such. But fans are so used to hearing its band members talk about how great the music is and coming along, or how they want to release something right away, or how this non-album project is going to get off the ground, that there’s even a phrase used to partially describe the inevitable delay (“Duran time”).

In the end, I would guess that stuff happens. People might analyze their work a lot more closely than they did in previous years based off the success they had in the past (as bad as the post-NLOTH wait was, I don’t think anything will every compare to Chinese Democracy). And that's when they are actually actively working on music anyway. I would assume part of it is that life takes over too. People have families or different interests that take up their time (Bono’s activism, for example). Musicians aren’t going to pour their time and efforts 100% into music the older they get… typically, anyway. Billy Corgan once had a quote about it in the late 90’s about that sort of thing. How back in the day before his band made it big, he really had nothing else to do with his time but play and write. But now that he had a bit of money and flexibility the older he got, he could be doing something else like skiing if he wanted to.

The music industry was much different back then. Tour demands and scope were not as hardcore as today. They could release an album and sometimes two every year. I miss those days...:sigh:

True, Creedence Clearwater Revival released 3 albums in one year.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That is the difference it seems between pre-2000 U2 and present. There was a sense of abandon and experimentation on those albums. Post 2000 there seems to be less of that and more wanting to 'be relevant' and fit in.

This gets thrown around a lot around here... and it's a bunch of bunk.

This band has ALWAYS wanted to be big and popular. Every move they've made has been with an eye on being, and staying, the biggest band in the world. Yes, even the jump from Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum era into the Achtung/Zoo era U2 was part of a desire to stay relevant.

nothing has changed in that regards. nothing.

what has changed is that they've lost some of their confidence, especially after No Line On The Horizon. I really think they thought that album was going to be huge... thus why they had a gigantic stadium tour designed around it. When it went by like a fart, and the music didn't even hit live... it stung them, and i think their hesitance to release has come from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom