LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they didn't say they are "lost in the music" so that's a positive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Nothing new really, still think we're gonna have the album in the next few months.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
:hmm: I still think the album will be released next month. Restarting the tour next year is fine, my bank account will like that.

I'm also still 90% positive for a release next month, and zero doubt about a release by the end of the year. It's coming, no need to freak out :)

I guess they haven't ruled out SOE in 2016. Adam said within next six months right? Well we've got 5 months of 2016 ahead of us..

I'm not bothered by the tour "delay." I've always been more about the new record, than the new tour.

Nothing new really, still think we're gonna have the album in the next few months.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yep. There's no way Bono would ever tell a random fan while on vacation: "Yeah! The album is finished and will be released digitally in September and our first single is called ________"

instagram alert!

13900107_10154874024821686_148821446424510087_n.jpg

Another quality, illuminating post, from U2.

Can we get the Russians to hack the album?

I still expect a release to coincide with the 40th anniversary. They're out dicking around now, it's pretty much done.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Can we get the Russians to hack the album?

I still expect a release to coincide with the 40th anniversary. They're out dicking around now, it's pretty much done.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yep. Plus a tour announcementand promo with those already announced shows. Makes sense to me.

Apparently a few folks from U2 Valencia spoke to Gavin, Adam and Bono.

From U2 Valencia:

ENGLISH BELOW (Latest update by Bono, Adam Clayton and Gavin Friday about new album and tour)

Bono, Adam Clayton and Gavin Friday about the new album and the continuation of the tour.

As we all know the city of Valencia received last week a very special visit. Bono, the edge and Adam Clayton moved up there last Thursday 28th of July to attend the wedding of his friend Reggie Manuel. The Irish, childhood friend of bonus, got married on Friday the 29th with his girlfriend, Spain. The members of the group, accompanied by Ali and morleigh, wives of bono and the edge respectively, and by the usual guggi and Gavin Friday enjoyed the city and its gastronomy since his arrival in the afternoon of Thursday until they left the same on Saturday Last hour. Sharon also accompanied them blankson, responsible for the group's wardrobe from years ago. If you want to know more about the passing of the band for Valencia you can visit the website of U2 Valencia.

With regard to any news on the activity of the group, we had a chance to ask personally to Bono, Adam Clayton and Gavin Friday about songs of experience and the continuation of the tour.

About the bonus disc told us " it's not finished yet but you will like it. In terms of lyrics it is stronger than war, it you have more clarity " (it's not finished yet but you are going to love it. With regard to the lyrics is stronger than war, has more clarity. )
His words to the usual reminder about new releases of the group, type " the edge is on fire.... Rock from Venus ". We could also ask him about the tour and we commented that " the second part of the tour is for 2017... You might see a few things in September or October through " (the second part of the tour is for 2017... But wait some things for September-October). Once again, his words are not too clear but gives the impression that the tour as such does not start until 2017 and that these apparitions that comment would be similar events to the already announced for salesforce or iheart radio. We will have to wait for news about it.

Later, we were able to ask Adam about the album and the tour and we replied with a " soon.... In the next 6 months " (soon... In the next 6 months).

Finally, we discussed to Gavin Friday the words of bono on the clarity and the power of the lyrics of the future soe in relation to war. " really? Mmmmm... Isn't it... I don't think so " (seriously? Mmmmm... Isn't it... Nolo I think). In reference to the tour in 2016 it was also clear: " no. I don't think so. Next year " (no, I don't think so, the next year).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bono, Adam Clayton and Gavin Friday about new album and tour

As you all probably know the city of Valencia received some very special visitors last week. Bono, The Edge and Adam Clayton arrived there on Thursday July 28th to attend the wedding of his friend Reggie Manuel. The irish man, childhood friend of Bono, married his valencian girlfriend on Friday 29th. The members of the band, together with Ali and Morleigh, wives of Bono and The Edge respectively, and Guggi and Gavin Friday enjoyed the city and its cuisine since their arrival on Thursday afternoon and until they left on Saturday evening. Sharon Blankson, responsible for group costumes for years was also with them. If you want to know more about the visit please check U2Valencia.com. For obvious reasons they made a more detailed coverage of the visit.

About the activity of the group, we had the opportunity to personally ask Bono, Adam Clayton and Gavin Friday about Songs of Experience and the tour.
About the record Bono told us that "It's not finished yet but you will like it. In terms of lyrics it is stronger than WAR, it has more clarity ". His words remind us his comments about previous releases kind of "The Edge is on fire ... .Rock from Venus". We also asked him about the tour and this is what he told us: "The second part of the tour is for 2017 ... You might see a few things in September or October though." Once again his words are not very clear but the feeling is that the new leg of the tour will not begin until 2017 and that these appearances that he mentioned would be similar to those already announced for Salesforce or iHeart Radio. We will have to wait for an official confirmation once again.

We could also ask Adam about the album and the tour and he answered us with a "Soon ... .in the next six months"

Finally, we met Gavin Friday and shared with him Bono's words on the clarity and power of the letters of SOE versus WAR. "Really? Mmmmm ... .no ... .I do not think so" he said. Regarding the tour in 2016, he was also clear: "No. I don’t think so. Next year "

As usual, the words of the group are not very clear and we know that their plans change quite often but we might conclude that the disk is not yet finished and that it seems that the tour will not resume until 2017.

All of that takes us back to:

No real answers. The usual speculation.

In that, seems that the Oct/Nov shows would be a good time for album announcement/possible drop with tour date announcement and ticket sales date announcement around the same time.

My guess is that tickets (for wherever the tour starts first) will begin around October/November

Last edited:
Keep in mind that things were extremely quiet in August in 2014. It wasn't until we got a couple hints at things like a bridge being closed for a U2 video and other whispers until the end of the month. And if my memory serves me correctly. The band wasn't saying a thing other than wishy washy statements.

At this point, the album has to come out between now and mid-winter. It would be one of the lamer moves of their career to resume the tour next year without SOE -- touring in 2017 to support an album that came out in 2014. 360 was different, since the band did tour in 2010, and Bono's injury threw everything into flux.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over these comments. As others have said, what's Bono going to say? "yeah, it's all done, the first single is coming out Sept. 3rd." It would be nice, but secrecy is something they've embraced for better or for worse (for worse).

I'm actually delighted by the tour delay. Gives me more time to save some money :)

It's not delayed... no one ever said 2016, there was no announcement.

Guys, are we to really take this at face value?

I know Bono's take on previous albums is ever evolving, but he's never expressed a positive take on his lyric writing to anything previous to UF, why all of a sudden would he use War as the measuring stick? That doesn't seem odd to anyone else?

Plus, do you really think Gavin is going to diss Bono like that to a stranger? A fan?

Either the translation is really off, or someone might be feeding us pure BS.

Bottom line: new music will be heard (a single? an album?), probably in September.

Tour 2017 (with or without Larry:hmm:)

Giddy up !

It's not delayed... no one ever said 2016, there was no announcement.

Guys, are we to really take this at face value?

I know Bono's take on previous albums is ever evolving, but he's never expressed a positive take on his lyric writing to anything previous to UF, why all of a sudden would he use War as the measuring stick? That doesn't seem odd to anyone else?

Plus, do you really think Gavin is going to diss Bono like that to a stranger? A fan?

Either the translation is really off, or someone might be feeding us pure BS.
I used the word "delayed" because on here most people seemed to be wishfully thinking the tour would pick up in the fall. I've said many times that I don't think it will kick off before 2017. So this just confirms it for me.
Of course we're not taking this at face value. Gavin might actually be among the more reliable sources, but that's not hard ;) Again, you can't expect an honest answer to these questions (especially not regarding the album). This being said, the source is not talking BS. I know them personally and they're very reliable. But they only report what was said.

This being said, the source is not talking BS. I know them personally and they're very reliable. But they only report what was said.

So you really believe he told a stranger, "no, I don't think so" when asked if this was Bono's best lyrics since War?

I just don't see it. He doesn't seem like a throw a friend under the bus kind of guy, especially when said friend is right there.

Dunno. Either thinking about the possible meaning of lyrical "clarity" as something very spontaneous (even if the album is about "experience") or it could also be because of Bono's vagueness while talking to fans in the street (something along his "Not today" answer given in Summer 2014, even if I know the context is different because of talking about song lyrics).

BVS - I've just seen the original Spanish story. They use the word "fuerte" - which has been translated as "stronger" - no mistake in that, but I think it could also be about the biting power of certain lyrics regarding social themes / what's going on right now in the world, if you get what I mean.

All of this is just guessing, anyway.

Last edited:
So you really believe he told a stranger, "no, I don't think so" when asked if this was Bono's best lyrics since War?

I just don't see it. He doesn't seem like a throw a friend under the bus kind of guy, especially when said friend is right there.

eh I'm sure something was just lost in translation. I dont think anyone's fabricating Gavin quotes

Absolutely, this is my understanding of that quote as well. I'm expecting some songs with a political theme, and these lyrics would be stronger than on war. Makes sense given that it is an "experience" album. I could even see a song that continues where the boy / adult conversation in Bullet left of on the ie tour version. It's an idea that he started exploring on this tour, so a continuation along those lines is possible.

Absolutely, this is my understanding of that quote as well. I'm expecting some songs with a political theme, and these lyrics would be stronger than on war. Makes sense given that it is an "experience" album. I could even see a song that continues where the boy / adult conversation in Bullet left of on the ie tour version. It's an idea that he started exploring on this tour, so a continuation along those lines is possible.

This makes definately sense to me. Now with the problems going on in Europe it is likely the band/Bono will refer to this. I could hear him sing a couple of notes and rewritten lines from "Bullet....".. on the new album. I would love a kind of 'new' War-album, fresh and on the barricades again. IS, the refugees, being so close to the attacks... They simply can't deny these things. Why not call the album 'Love over fear' or some of these strong statements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom