LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This talk of a low key release is interesting... I wonder if it's reacting to the bad reception with Apple/SoI, or if they're confident enough in the material not to do anything gimmicky with it.

I think after 2 albums that failed to yield a hit, it would become pretty obvious that big publicity statements for album launches are desperate and hollow attempts to remain relevant that miss out the most important part - music that's good enough.

Agree with this. The more they try to engineer a big "splash", the more they come across as four desperate old men crying out for attention. The SOI release was just...embarrassing. If they actually do something low-key and bring the focus back to the music this time...kudos to them. (Oh and please stop talking about being or coming from a place of "punk rock", Boner. kthxbye).

Keep an eye on the weeks from Sept, 23rd til Oct. 5th (iHeart to Dreamforce)

oh believe me, our eyes our peeled! :up:

Agree with this. The more they try to engineer a big "splash", the more they come across as four desperate old men crying out for attention. The SOI release was just...embarrassing. If they actually do something low-key and bring the focus back to the music this time...kudos to them. (Oh and please stop talking about being or coming from a place of "punk rock", Boner. kthxbye).

of course, low-key in U2 terms isn't low key in the conventional sense.. I think Boyd just means low-key compared to the SOI release. I'm sure there will be lots from U2 around the time of release. I mean, the iheart radio and Dreamforce shows are already indication of that

Its like sending out the bat signal.

I was looking for a cheap reason to subscribe to the thread.

Also, holy crap jury duty is like adult day care. Stick a couple hundred grown ass adults in a room and play movies until their names are called.

Last edited:
It's strange, my appreciation for a U2 record either grows (typically) or diminishes over time. But I pretty much feel about SOI exactly the same as when I first heard it. Like the same songs, dislike the same songs, bored by the same songs, etc. To pretty much the same degree.

And aside from all the chatter about the release method and artwork, I've probably given this record less thought than any other U2 album. While I like SOI well enough, it's had a very light, non-enduring footprint with me. I haven't quite sorted whether that's a reflection of the record itself or my general interest in U2.

It's strange, my appreciation for a U2 record either grows (typically) or diminishes over time. But I pretty much feel about SOI exactly the same as when I first heard it. Like the same songs, dislike the same songs, bored by the same songs, etc. To pretty much the same degree.

And aside from all the chatter about the release method and artwork, I've probably given this record less thought than any other U2 album. While I like SOI well enough, it's had a very light, non-enduring footprint with me. I haven't quite sorted whether that's a reflection of the record itself or my general interest in U2.

Not sure if you fall in the same boat as me, but I realized the other day that I listen to albums (from all musicians) much less than I used to, which saddens me a bit. I have Sirius XM in my car and also listen to more playlists than I used to. In regards to overall plays, SOI has probably been played less than any other U2 album for me, even though I'd personally rank it over anything they've done post Pop.

well said. welcome back.

It seems this is really happening... which will mean a U2 album a mere 2 years from the last!

I wonder if it'll have the rough, fresh vibe that Bono claimed they were aiming for, and if they'll have actually escaped the black hole of messy production and over-thinking seen on the last few albums.

I know it's wishful thinking, but seriously, apparently the bulk of SoE was recorded after the I&E tour ended (u2espana mentioned most of the recording was done in 2016, and Ryan tedder said SoE has only 1-2 songs leftover from SoI at most), so that's a very short timeframe for them.

We could get a very special sound/vibe.

It seems this is really happening... which will mean a U2 album a mere 2 years from the last!

I wonder if it'll have the rough, fresh vibe that Bono claimed they were aiming for, and if they'll have actually escaped the black hole of messy production and over-thinking seen on the last few albums.

I know it's wishful thinking, but seriously, apparently the bulk of SoE was recorded after the I&E tour ended (u2espana mentioned most of the recording was done in 2016, and Ryan tedder said SoE has only 1-2 songs leftover from SoI at most), so that's a very short timeframe for them.

We could get a very special sound/vibe.

Could be a possible reason to not build a bunch of fanfare around the release. Maybe it helps them to feel less pressure.

this is the most interesting question, for me.

Andy Barlow + Jolyon Thomas = ???

An odd combo. Sonically two different beasts.

this is the most interesting question, for me.

Andy Barlow + Jolyon Thomas = ???

An odd combo. Sonically two different beasts.

Sounds like a good fusion of atmosphere and grittier rock stuff. Agreed they're very different, but working in unison could be great. I'd be more concerned if one of them was brought in at the end separately to 'polish', like with Lillywhite, Epworth, Tedder... that's the sort of thing that could lead to a disjointed sound.

V. Promising that Thomas seems to have been present for the whole process.

@Mikal: Yeah, even the u talkin' u2 to me? Guys said to the band that releasing something faster prevents a buildup of unfair expectations. Just get a catchy single with a decent riff out there, sooner, not 5 years later.

Can somebody link that Bryan Boyd article mentioned a few pages back? I'm on mobile and can't seem to find it.

As mentioned earlier, i wouldn't mind a Zooropa/War hybrid...it's like the best of both worlds. Straight forward rock and some weirdness.:hyper:

But, we're probably taking random quotes and and manipulating them to the point that we're sure to get the exact opposite like Passengers/NLOTH.:reject:

As mentioned earlier, i wouldn't mind a Zooropa/War hybrid...it's like the best of both worlds. Straight forward rock and some weirdness.:hyper:

But, we're probably taking random quotes and and manipulating them to the point that we're sure to get the exact opposite like Passengers/NLOTH.:reject:

Yeah, i mean the only time Zooropa was mentioned was when Edge said they were recording quickly, like back in 1993. The recording process/speed was the only thing similar to zooropa. Absolutely no one has mentioned SoE sounding like zooropa (though i'm sure many articles might have claimed it, through a chinese whispers situation).

Same thing with War - Bono said something like it's his strongest lyrical content since War, not that the songs sound the same or even the lyrics, just the strength.

My prediction for the sound is taking the raw/classic rock/distorted guitar sound that was started with vertigo, amped up with Miracle, Cedarwood Road etc, and pushing it further (hence hiring the producer of slaves). But knowing U2 (and the fact they also worked with the producer of Lamb), it'll likely have that typical atmosphere, uplifting sound as well.

Regardless of your opinion of this song, it has that fusion of rock and atmosphere in the production i think we'll see (this is produced by Thomas).

The Innocence I had to expect this album being released this year has now made me Experienced in how shitty this band is.
ITRMdDK.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:lol:
I like this song a lot. Yes, probably Edge could have been stronger

Sometimes, as Bono has said, Edge is in a keyboard phase. Must have been that 5 mins before The Edge was 'on fire' and 'fell in love with the guitar again'? :applaud::wave::lol:

All of that said, I was a bit 'iffy' about 'Invisible', at first. It grew on me. I guess I'm the odd-man-out, as I liked it better in the live show. And by the time of the shows I'd heard their mention of it's being influenced by CAN, Neu! and Kraftwerk - All apparent in the song.

I haven't seen this yet.

Here's confirmation that Andy Barlow was still working with U2, as recently as the June sessions at Rick Rubin's Shangri-La studio

from inside Rubin's crazy bus!

13502037_10153790339491902_8654718911164450793_n.jpg

So, in June, we have evidence of them working with Barlow, Thomas and Jacknifee Lee

Not sure if you fall in the same boat as me, but I realized the other day that I listen to albums (from all musicians) much less than I used to, which saddens me a bit. I have Sirius XM in my car and also listen to more playlists than I used to. In regards to overall plays, SOI has probably been played less than any other U2 album for me, even though I'd personally rank it over anything they've done post Pop.

I don't know. Maybe because music in general just isn't as important to me as it used to be...it's not just about U2. Don't get me wrong, I still love listening...I hear new stuff all the time. But it's less "active" listening if that makes sense. I'm not listening to it, thinking about it, etc. so intently. It's more like background to my life. Probably just a result of getting older, general state of being busy, responsibilities, etc.

If people ask me who my favourite band is, I still sort of say, by rote, U2 because I've been saying that pretty reflexively for so long maybe I forgot how to say anything else. Or maybe just because I stopped thinking about things like who my favourite band is a long time ago, and U2 was just the last one up at bat.

Anyway, I saw the news of the new record/tour next year, and admit to feeling a twinge of the old excitement. I'll go. Of course I'll go.

I don't know. Maybe because music in general just isn't as important to me as it used to be...it's not just about U2. Don't get me wrong, I still love listening...I hear new stuff all the time. But it's less "active" listening if that makes sense. I'm not listening to it, thinking about it, etc. so intently. It's more like background to my life. Probably just a result of getting older, general state of being busy, responsibilities, etc.

If people ask me who my favourite band is, I still sort of say, by rote, U2 because I've been saying that pretty reflexively for so long maybe I forgot how to say anything else. Or maybe just because I stopped thinking about things like who my favourite band is a long time ago, and U2 was just the last one up at bat.

Anyway, I saw the news of the new record/tour next year, and admit to feeling a twinge of the old excitement. I'll go. Of course I'll go.

Yeah, I can definitely relate. Career and family definitely take up a lot of time, and I don't have nearly as much time for music than I did back when I had very few responsibilities.

I watched some YouTube videos of Andy Barlow. He seems very intelligent with a real passion for production.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, I can definitely relate. Career and family definitely take up a lot of time, and I don't have nearly as much time for music than I did back when I had very few responsibilities.

I agree 100% with this statement. I am in the same boat.

However, I have been fortunate enough to see several concerts this summer and it sort of brought music back into the forefront of my brain (and heart i suppose).

I sort of forgot how much i enjoy music in general.

For those of you wondering, i recently saw Sting/Peter Gabriel, Jane's Addiction, and Disturbed.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom