LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point.

Adds to the idea these they got cold feet about the direction of the material at the last second.

Which I've always suspected is when things started to go wrong with NLOTH. I would have loved to have seen that record as it was originally imagined, and could have been had they shown a little courage and confidence.

I think the dank basement is in/near Dublin, not London - Reeve Carney is/was in Dublin and tweeted that he spent some time hanging out with them where they are recording late last week. (didn't mention them by name but its inferred...)

In interviews in the last 48hrs, both Bono and Edge have specifically said they're currently working in a studio in London.

It could very easily be argued that their beloved Kraftwerk are self indulgent, but that of course would be bullshit. The only issue is whether or not the music is good, and if there's five minutes of freeform noise, so be it.

Yeah, this is what I hate. They carry one about not making music that is "interesting" or self-indulgent. It's got to connect with the masses!

And then they reference their love for a band like Kraftwerk that never had a big hit! If they love bands like Kraftwerk- take a lesson from them and just make music that sounds great to you and stop obsessing over how it will be received!

Seems like at least Adam is in the Dublin studio. Hope he's ok :pray:

That article didn't say anything about any of them being there. Thought they were back in London...again. :lol:

I've heard both Bono and Edge confirm London in the last couple of days. (Bono on BBC1, Edge on BBC2 if I remember clearly.)

Anyone seen the rhythm section? :whistle:

Or could it be that Edge is fiddling with final mixes and it's a lot closer to done than they're leading on? :hmm: Bono DID say that Edge would mix it once it's in stores if he could!! :lmao:

I think U2 throw around the term self-indulgent as a euphemism for shitty. I doubt they do Kraftwerk as well as Kraftwerk

That article didn't say anything about any of them being there. Thought they were back in London...again. :lol:

I've heard both Bono and Edge confirm London in the last couple of days. (Bono on BBC1, Edge on BBC2 if I remember clearly.)

Or could it be that Edge is fiddling with final mixes and it's a lot closer to done than they're leading on? :hmm: Bono DID say that Edge would mix it once it's in stores if he could!! :lmao:

They (Bono and Edge) could be in London overseeing the recording of a specific non-band part, like if they’re using a string section or something in a particular song. Or think of some other excuse. Just don’t let yourself believe they’re up to the mixing stage.

OK, I just relistened to both and heard Bono say it, missed that the first time, so I stand corrected!

You don't really know this band do you? Pride alone and the amount of work they put it that one song shows how much relevancy was important to them, the only difference was they weren't admitting it like they are now. Were they worried about self indulgence? Probably not, but that attitude has lead somewhat to their negative persona. It's a double edged sword they probably struggle with all the time.

I don't know the band? Unlike you, I know that there are 9 other songs on The Unforgettable Fire. You can mention Pride as an example of them wanting to be relevant (a meaningless term), but what about Elvis Presley and America, Promenade, Bad, 4th of July, MLK, Wire, A Sort of a Homecoming, Indian Summer Sky, or the title track? Just because Pride is of its time doesn't mean it was bid for relevance. hey don't really sound like what was on the charts in 1984, do they?Like Rush said, they were young enough to be influenced by contemporary music. It's more like Cocteau Twins than Hall & Oates.

The Unforgettable Fire was made by a band who's priority was clearly their art. Even a cursory reading of books about U2 and interviews with them would enable you to know this. Maybe you should acquaint yourself with facts before you insert your screwface into a discussion.

Self indulgence is a meaningless term that can be thrown at anything. It can't be defined in the context of art. They love Kraftwerk, but Autobahn and side two of TEE could very easily be said to be self indulgent. Same with Beethoven's 9th, Revolver, Low, or Achtung Baby. If anything, "self indulgence" has been their greatest strength because it allows them to be ambitious.

Yeah, this is what I hate. They carry one about not making music that is "interesting" or self-indulgent. It's got to connect with the masses!

And then they reference their love for a band like Kraftwerk that never had a big hit! If they love bands like Kraftwerk- take a lesson from them and just make music that sounds great to you and stop obsessing over how it will be received!

Exactly! They go on about how much they love Kraftwerk, Patti Smith, the Pixies, the Ramones, the Clash, and other iconoclasts, but they seem to miss the one thing that they all have in common. Or they've forgotten it, because U2 used to have it.

I don't know the band? Unlike you, I know that there are 9 other songs on The Unforgettable Fire. You can mention Pride as an example of them wanting to be relevant (a meaningless term), but what about Elvis Presley and America, Promenade, Bad, 4th of July, MLK, Wire, A Sort of a Homecoming, Indian Summer Sky, or the title track? Just because Pride is of its time doesn't mean it was bid for relevance. hey don't really sound like what was on the charts in 1984, do they?Like Rush said, they were young enough to be influenced by contemporary music. It's more like Cocteau Twins than Hall & Oates.

The Unforgettable Fire was made by a band who's priority was clearly their art. Even a cursory reading of books about U2 and interviews with them would enable you to know this. Maybe you should acquaint yourself with facts before you insert your screwface into a discussion.

Self indulgence is a meaningless term that can be thrown at anything. It can't be defined in the context of art. They love Kraftwerk, but Autobahn and side two of TEE could very easily be said to be self indulgent. Same with Beethoven's 9th, Revolver, Low, or Achtung Baby. If anything, "self indulgence" has been their greatest strength because it allows them to be ambitious.

Well stated.

I think Pride transcends being just a pop song because of it's otherworldly production. I get lost in those textures. I believe that Edge's guitar is what subconsciously hooked mainstream listeners. While "In the name of love" is a catchy chorus, it's that guitar that made the song stand out. Sounds like a lot of care was put into getting that magic atmosphere.

DM's April has just filled up..

tumblr_n0hq4erDuE1rib8q9o1_1280.png

People actually still do this??

You could just download it :huh:

Or I could wait for it and get it FREE and completely legally. :lol:

Seeing as how I don't want to pay to download it, nor do I have the money to actually do that, a free library rental is right up my alley.

Our house? 4 people, 2 of them kids, living off about 10k a year if we're lucky. But that's another story altogether, thanks.

Well stated.

I think Pride transcends being just a pop song because of it's otherworldly production. I get lost in those textures. I believe that Edge's guitar is what subconsciously hooked mainstream listeners. While "In the name of love" is a catchy chorus, it's that guitar that made the song stand out. Sounds like a lot of care was put into getting that magic atmosphere.

The guitar playing on that song is phenomenal! Aside from the riff, which is the perfect marriage of chords, rhythm, and effects, the parts are different in each verse. That kind of creativity is missing in his guitar work on the last three albums. The playing has been solid but unremarkable. I really like the guitars on Invisible, but I hope the album has more prominent guitars. The Edge was the main reason I got into U2 in the first place.

funny, remember how U2 were doing photoshoots in the London underground last fall? it seems now that these shots ended up in the Invisible Making Of doc and that they were playing on the story behind the song.

so, they were doing promo work for a song that they never intended to be the first single, in October? no sense this makes.

I think Invisible was once intended to be the first single.

all this sneak preview nonsense is a bunch of hooey. they changed their release plan, and are now having to invent excuses as to why they are releasing Invisible.

This makes alot of sense..... :up:

Or I could wait for it and get it FREE and completely legally. :lol:

Seeing as how I don't want to pay to download it, nor do I have the money to actually do that, a free library rental is right up my alley.

Our house? 4 people, 2 of them kids, living off about 10k a year if we're lucky. But that's another story altogether, thanks.

Um, you're on the internet almost every waking minute of your day. You can figure out a way to obtain it without paying. Even if you're on dialup 56k...it's music, not a 2 hour movie.

The library rental method is just as "illegal" as obtaining it in the method I described above.

I will bet $1,000,000 that they do not even get interviewed on Fallon. It's his first show and he'll have a million skits.

He'll introduce U2 towards the end of the show with "Our next guests are a legendary rock band from Ireland who have sold more than 250 million albums worldwide. Their last tour was the highest grossing and most attended tour in history. They recently released a song in partnership with RED to raise money in the fight against AIDS. So far it has raised over ? million dollars.
Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for U2!!!!"

Crowd goes nuts.
U2 plays Invisible.
Show's over.

Therefore they still get the push for Invisible, are in the public eye, and no mention whatsoever about an album delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom