LP13 - The Final Countdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
SO - it appears we have something of a confirmation from Interscope records that U2 WILL release an album in 2014.

Ultimate Music | U2 to release new album this fall. RedOne, David Guetta, will.i.am involved!

http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/u2-to-release-new-album-this-fall-redone-david-guetta-will-i-am-involved/

The return of Irish rock band U2 to the music scene is a fact. Following the confirmation via Interscope topper John Janick that their new album would arrive this year, rumors have not stopped to spread through the Internet.

Universal Music Venezuela and Colombia briefly posted tweets saying the album was coming out in September. This month, the band filmed a music video in Nice, according French newspaper Nice-Matin.

According to close sources to the group, the first single is about to arrive, and could be released in early September. The album could come a few weeks later, and the first dates of their upcoming world tour may be announced in December, which will begin in April next year.

They could are trying to make a “BEYONCÉ“-move, and get no leaked information about the launch, and release it all by surprise. Something unusual in the way of promoting their previous albums. According U2 fan site atu2.com,

the band will release it with little of the fanfare usually associated with a new U2 album

Among the producers who have been involved in the production of this new album include: Danger Mouse, will.i.am, David Guetta, RedOne, Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth, who is said to have helmed the final round of sessions early this month.

This comes on the back of weeks of speculation that a first single video has just been shot in France, that the single could be out as early as early September, and an album sometime either late September or October.

Tour rumours also abound, with South America touted for December 2015, and the tour proper kicking off in April 2015.

EDIT - didn't mention some of the other rumours:

Rumoured Title: Sirens
Rumoured Songs: Song for Someone, Invisible (full version), Ordinary Love (alternate version), The Troubles, The Light, Siren

The beach clip rumoured to be Song for Someone contains what some believe to be a woman singing. I personally think it is a Bono and Edge falsetto duet, and there is no way of determining either way at this point.

Carry on!

A South America tour is entirely possible for December. If they're playing stadiums (I think we can assume they will in SA since there seems to be a high demand and a lack of suitable arenas for an arena tour) then the only limiting factor is weather, which should be nice and warm in South America during December. I say this because in the previous thread, other were dismissing December for South America based on past touring patterns.

Seriously, it's getting a bit ridiculous. ANNOUNCE THE FUCKING ALBUM!!! Their level of restraint is frustrating.

I'm anxious how bad it turned out with that list of producers. I'd take Lillywhite over that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Reposting my theory from the previous threads. Dates are all guesswork at this point, but I like this as a stylistic idea. Mostly because I think the trailer for Invisible was hugely successful at generating hype, without giving away the farm.

I think it would make sense for them to use the 'Invisible' tactic of releasing an abstract trailer a week before the full video on their YouTube channel, and linking to it by bombarding social media with the link, but no other details. No official announcement, nothing at all. Just put up a trailer to the new single and let the media run riot with speculation. The more abstract and the more wild and divergent the theories, and the more column inches they receive.

Then, 24 hours before it is released, a simple message on social media - U2. (Single title). 24 hours. Update at 12 hours, 6 hours, 3, 2, 1, and then release simultaneously to radio, iTunes and YouTube. A short message after the video that says #(albumtitle) and date (one week later). A day before the release, lyric video of a second song, also released to radio, and track list and release details.

Dates I would follow -
Trailer release - September 9 - same day as iPhone 6 announcement.
Video release - sept 16. Possible date for iPhone release, mp3 and video pre-loaded
Album release - sept 23
iTunes festival - around album release. Album played in full live, plus some warhorses and rarities.
Fan poll for second official single of website members.

I'm anxious how bad it turned out with that list of producers. I'd take Lillywhite over that.

Most of those are just people mentioned as working with U2 over the last 5 years and come after they reference atu2, who have those details on their new album page. Nothing from any source suggests anyone other than DM as main, and Epworth and Tedder as getting it over the line.

Well that's a little better. My expectations are low so anything better than meh will please me.

Well that's a little better. My expectations are low so anything better than meh will please me.

I do expect this record to be a departure of sorts from the 2000s output. Maybe not as sonically obvious as the 1988-1991 or 1997-2000 transitions, but I am thinking more in terms of progress made with Invisible and Ordinary Love - more natural lyrics, less forced meldoies and syncopation, more personal subjects etc. The last three albums have lyrically felt like a increasingly blunt brick to the face.

My expectations are low so anything better than meh will please me.

#betterthanmeh
tumblr_l4l77sXSbm1qb1ymfo1_400.gif

I do expect this record to be a departure of sorts from the 2000s output. Maybe not as sonically obvious as the 1988-1991 or 1997-2000 transitions, but I am thinking more in terms of progress made with Invisible and Ordinary Love - more natural lyrics, less forced meldoies and syncopation, more personal subjects etc. The last three albums have lyrically felt like a increasingly blunt brick to the face.
Definitely. If 'Invisible' and 'Ordinary Love' are still an indication, I think we're in for some good stuff this time around.

Exciting times. The rumblings are good.

#newalbumonthehorizon

I thought one Interference source said the rumblings were bad?

We've always had very reliable sources around here.

Extremely low Credibility Ratings, reliably, for 14 years.
In fact, you might even say as reasonably close to zero as one might imagine.

It's like golf, right? The lower the score, the better?

I thought one Interference source said the rumblings were bad?

We've always had very reliable sources around here.

Extremely low Credibility Ratings, reliably, for 14 years.
In fact, you might even say as reasonably close to zero as one might imagine.

It's like golf, right? The lower the score, the better?

That source is quite reliable, though I don't think it was ever inferred the rumblings were *bad* - just that it wasn't any more confirmed than the planned Feb/March release had been (about which that source, along with one other on here gave us a pre-warning that the delay was coming). Since then, that source has appeared far more upbeat...

Oh, and guess who is vacationing in Turkey as well?
Instagram

For a moment I thought that was Bono on the far right. But no, he couldn't possibly gained so much weight within a few days of Turkish holidays :no:

Seriously, am I the only one who's not excited over a possible Madonna duet? I hope it won't happen. I take Adele over her a thousand times. I hope she stays away from U2 as far as possible, except for the occasional partying picture with good ol' Bono.

For a moment I thought that was Bono on the far right. But no, he couldn't possibly gained so much weight within a few days of Turkish holidays :no:

Seriously, am I the only one who's not excited over a possible Madonna duet? I hope it won't happen. I take Adele over her a thousand times. I hope she stays away from U2 as far as possible, except for the occasional partying picture with good ol' Bono.

oh, I am also not excited about Madonna. Makes me cringe even thinking about it.

How disappointing will it be if the album is 11-12 songs, 2 of which are versions of Invisible and Ordinary Love. Ugh.

Not to mention Pearl Jam just used the "Sirens" tag.

How disappointing will it be if the album is 11-12 songs, 2 of which are versions of Invisible and Ordinary Love. Ugh.

Not to mention Pearl Jam just used the "Sirens" tag.

I really like Invisible. I guess that makes me kind of a weirdo around here. Ordinary Love is okay. I hope Invisible is on the album, and Ordinary Love isnt.

Btw, I had a lengthy U2 dream tonight about the new single that was suddenly released and accompanied by a video of Bono (who looked very different) stepping in and out of elevators and subway trains :lol: The song sounded like something Radiohead would do, very electronic, very catchy, very cool. I liked it a lot and was super excited. The release was all over the news with the band doing several TV interviews. There was something about volcanos and sirens (seriously), but I couldn't really make out the single or album title nor do I know more about the other songs on the album. And no, the single wasn't Elevation II :wink:

Ordinary Love was written specifically for the Mandela movie, completely separate. It supposedly stalled the band's momentum doing it. So it won't be on the album.
Invisible, however, was intended as a taste of the upcoming album so it may well be on there, but in a different structure/edit.

Ordinary Love was written specifically for the Mandela movie, completely separate. It supposedly stalled the band's momentum doing it. So it won't be on the album.
Invisible, however, was intended as a taste of the upcoming album so it may well be on there, but in a different structure/edit.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet, in my opinion, one of their finest songs, didn't make the official cut of ATYCLB as it had already featured on a soundtrack. So it will be a bit annoying if the decent but much inferior Ordinary Love does make the final cut.

Back
Top Bottom