LP13 - The Final Countdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not in every case, but in a lot of the bashing of MJB for her effort in that song, I'm honestly at a loss for any other explanation. And I'm not going any further than to say that for a lot of people, Rock and R&B seem like different worlds, and shouldn't be paired.

Another thought I had was that her vocal stylings on the song were good to the point of being threatening to folks who hold the original rendition sacred. Could be it. Or people just don't like it... But that's not the same as saying it's bad, or doesn't work, and that seems to be a big point of confusion on these boards.

I mean, listen to the live versions where Bono ends with the 'i hear you coming... I hear you scratching..' Bit. He's passionate, he's grandiose, he's breaking from the dark, somber mood of the beginning of the song, and people like it. I like it. Yet, that's what MJ did, more or less, and it's sacrilege.

Well, speaking only for myself, I don't dislike the MJB "One" any more than I dislike any other cover of a U2 song, I think they all pretty much suck (though yes, strictly speaking the MJB One isn't a cover). In my opinion U2 songs just don't lend themselves very well to being covered. And I think Bono, in a live setting, can get away with things in his own songs that other artists can't.

Again, just my personal preference, not a huge fan of U2 covers.

So, a summary so far from someone who only reads 3-4 words of any post longer than 2 lines:

Mary J. Blige
Adele
Wrestling gif that crashes my app
Feeling
Punky

So basically what we get from this is Mary J Blige will be singing the National Anthem at the charity wrestling match between Adele and Soleil Moon Frye which I have a gut feeling Adele will win.

And U2's album has been delayed again

Well, speaking only for myself, I don't dislike the MJB "One" any more than I dislike any other cover of a U2 song, I think they all pretty much suck (though yes, strictly speaking the MJB One isn't a cover). In my opinion U2 songs just don't lend themselves very well to being covered. And I think Bono, in a live setting, can get away with things in his own songs that other artists can't.

To be honest, I've never heard a cover of a U2 song that really captured what the band does when they play the song. They're on my short list or artists whose music cannot be done by anyone else to the same effect. Whenever I see a singing contest type show on tv, I know right away the song will fail if the contestant chooses to do U2... Or Janis Joplin, or Stevie Wonder, or a few others.

Even when the sand joins in, it doesn't quite work. Like Edge joining Muse for Streets. It was decent, but it never really took off. And that's the critical part of having Bono on vocals. He does U2 songs. He pairs up with edge's vocals seamlessly. He knows how they work.

So from that perspective, I get that take on the MJB duet. But for me, it was closer to Automatic Baby. I like the original of one better in almost all cases, save a couple of live versions by the band, but sometimes when they pair up with another artist in a collaborative way, it works. For me and the Blige version works, but that's me.

Sent from my fingertips.

Alan Cross could have at least given me credit for coming up with the U2/iPhone 6 Launch idea a month ago. We already know he gets his stories from Interference.

I'm gonna sue him. Wait, even worse. I'm gonna call his church.

Confirmed rumor: Bono's outfit during the tour will consist entirely of the boxing robes he wore during the opening of PopMart.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono should dress as john cena for the tour

"You cant see my album"

I hope Bono introduces new Shades for the new tour ! :bono:

He's always changed his outfit or appearance from one tour to the next...

I hate those blue aviator casual shades he's been wearing for a year now :sad:

Come on BVLGARI or ARMANI...!

Holy shit! I'm picturing Bono in jean shorts and that's not good.

DaisyDukes.jpg

Its the final countdown.....

So from that perspective, I get that take on the MJB duet. But for me, it was closer to Automatic Baby. I like the original of one better in almost all cases, save a couple of live versions by the band, but sometimes when they pair up with another artist in a collaborative way, it works. For me and the Blige version works, but that's me.

OK, as I always try to be open minded, I went back and listened to the MJB One for the first time in years. I'll admit, if I forget everything I know about the original, and just judge it on its own terms, it kind of works, especially when she lets it rip in the latter part of the song.

But yeah, it completely transforms the song, IMO, to something the original is not. Which is fine, we're only talking about a pop song here, there's nothing scared about it. People can interpret it any way they wish, especially when they're singing it with the lads who wrote it. But at the end of the day, like with all covers, mostly it just makes me want to hear the original again. And it reminds me of the subtle nuance in Bono's voice that makes the original so haunting and a classic. With MJB One is an interesting, but unmemorable pop song.

The only good covers that I've actually liked are Depeche Mode's cover of So Cruel and The Killers cover of Ultraviolet. However, neither can touch the originals.

Well U2 may be on the edge of irrelevance. But I just saw a Facebook post saying that Genesis has some "exciting news" tomorrow. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

U2 and Apple have filmed a video for U2's latest single and it will debut on TV screens across America in a commercial announcing the release of Apple's long-awaited iWatch.

First commercials will air opening weekend of the NFL's 2014 season.

^^^^^prediction

I invented the question mark

?????

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom