LP13 - The Final Countdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There will always be a mid-tempo track in a U2 album, whether you like it or not.

I don't mind mid-tempo tracks on the album. I agree, they will always be there, in fact will most likely make up the bulk of the album. But, I just don't think their first single should be one.

Invisible was the first "premiere" of a U2 song that just left me feeling flat, disappointed, and almost a little mad.

Just hope for a swing for the fences first single. I know I'm asking a lot, but hey, I gotta have my dreams

I think the the reported sound of Siren was "frantic" and "punky" according to the people on the beach...

Punk rock on Venus punky?

Or this kind:

0830-punky-brewster-400.jpg

Invisible was the first "premiere" of a U2 song that just left me feeling flat, disappointed, and almost a little mad.

Ok, I take that back. GOYB also made me a little mad. I think that the title track for NLOTH would have been a much better choice. Love that song.

There will always be a mid-tempo track in a U2 album, whether you like it or not.

I am expecting mid-temp.

Don't get me wrong, U2s mid tempo songs are still the sound track to my life and better than most of other stuff out there...but it's not my preference.

I think the the reported sound of Siren was "frantic" and "punky" according to the people on the beach...

Punk rock on Venus punky?

here's the actual quote:

I have spent the last few weeks down the beach in the South of France and a few of my mates in the know, were able to point out to me Bono's house. We stood there and listened to him play the album or at least a couple of songs from the Album. It took a little getting used to. The song Song for someone sounded pretty good and could be a single, I think. At first you think it is going to be a nice meandering little song but It has a nice movement in the song where the music comes round on itself and the Edge ramps it up about half way. There was another couple of songs, might have been the song Sirens but it was quite rock n roll, punk and frantic which I liked.

obviously, this could be anything.. maybe Eve was blasting the new Strokes album and this guy didn't know better, but if it was in fact Siren, than we know a little more about it based on this description

With all the volcanos and Iceland references going on (and there's a volcano erupting in Iceland right now), maybe the mysterious female voice on Song for Someone belongs to Björk? Now how cool would that be?

Yeah, Bjork's drive for mainstream attention is not nearly slavish enough to be appreciated by the likes of U2.

Blows my mind, personally. Seems to me the guys who actually wrote the song felt she had a really really good idea of what the song was/is about. They thought she was perfect for it, and she was.

If you don't like it, hey, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes.

But to say that she "sounds like she doesn't even know what the song is about" is one of the most asinine comments I've ever read on these boards, and this is a place that used to have a member who claimed in seriousness to have invented the retractable roof stadium.

I really really want to know how the fuck one came to that conclusion, for the statement has blown my fucking mind.

This here makes me a bit uneasy...as if the material is not THAT good in general or way out of what U2 would sound like...:crack:

I know what you mean. But this really could be a good thing. Imagine someone listening to excerpts from Achtung Baby on a beach in 1990...

Maybe they are gonna pull something off that's different for them. Now if it's different and GOOD is the question... :huh:

If you don't like it, hey, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes.

But to say that she "sounds like she doesn't even know what the song is about" is one of the most asinine comments I've ever read on these boards, and this is a place that used to have a member who claimed in seriousness to have invented the retractable roof stadium.

I really really want to know how the fuck one came to that conclusion, for the statement has blown my fucking mind.

Some peole just don't like rap.

Sent from

This here makes me a bit uneasy...as if the material is not THAT good in general or way out of what U2 would sound like...:crack:

That's the best part. I don't want something too familiar. I want even some disappointment from typical fans. Everybody has an idea of what they should sound like but they should be forced to listen to the music as it is. I like how they wanted Zoo Station to sound like there was something wrong with the CD player for U2 fans who expected more a Joshua Tree style.

that's the best part. I don't want something too familiar. I want even some disappointment from typical fans. Everybody has an idea of what they should sound like but they should be forced to listen to the music as it is. I like how they wanted zoo station to sound like there was something wrong with the cd player for u2 fans who expected more a joshua tree style.

agreed!!

Given some of the things said in this forum, that one strikes me as an odd one to take issue with. You could argue that the super-dramatic treatment Blige gives it destroys all the brooding and nuance of the original; therefore she didn't really capture the spirit of it. Just one possible interpretation, and not an absurd one at all.

Back
Top Bottom