LP13 - Still Waiting - 1980 days since Bono announced Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Somebody asked them if they're sure, and they say 'well, we're using the conditional but it looks serious' - the conditional is a tense that means exactly what it sounds like: Conditions apply :)

If Oct 27 is true then that means we probably won't get an official first single until early to mid-Oct considering previous patterns for the last 3 albums

Get on Your Boots was released a little over a month before NLOTH?

Actually if this is true the sirens tweet from last weeks backs it up nicely. A month in between.

I wish this was all misdirection and the album surprise drops this Tuesday.

Kind of surprised that U2 would still be going so traditional with this release.

I could also see them dropping the album on Oct 27 as a surprise to the public but it wouldn't be a surprise to us diehards on here.

I doubt they are going to do a surprise release at this point. Just announce the damn album and I'll still get excited.

ATYCLB was released Oct 30, so same time pretty much. Anybody remember when we first heard Beautiful Day? I forget, was thinking early Sept?

ATYCLB was released Oct 30, so same time pretty much. Anybody remember when we first heard Beautiful Day? I forget, was thinking early Sept?

It hi radio on or about 8/31 because I was just going back to college and was dying to hear it before I left.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Aww, must've been a pretty memorable day! (It was hard to resist the obvious pun here)

Memorable is an understatement. 27 hours of labour then an emergency c-section. She was 2 months early too. Plus, we were stuck out of town when this all went down. I do feel like I own a piece of that song. ;)

Not to be outdone, my son was born on 8/28 two years later. The radio premier of Electrical Storm. He came out a lot faster and to full term, but the cord was wrapped 3 times over his neck. Very scary minute there!

Fitting songs for their births. I'm making a custom display for their birthdays eventually. A copy of the specific promo cd and their 1st U2 concert ticket (next tour) with a picture of some sort.

And No. No I'm not having any more kids. I made absolute certain of that. :D

Memorable is an understatement. 27 hours of labour then an emergency c-section. She was 2 months early too. Plus, we were stuck out of town when this all went down. I do feel like I own a piece of that song. ;)

Not to be outdone, my son was born on 8/28 two years later. The radio premier of Electrical Storm. He came out a lot faster and to full term, but the cord was wrapped 3 times over his neck. Very scary minute there!

Fitting songs for their births. I'm making a custom display for their birthdays eventually. A copy of the specific promo cd and their 1st U2 concert ticket (next tour) with a picture of some sort.

I have one kid... Worst mistake of my life next to getting married

First premiered on radio 8/31. The day my daughter was born.

What an awesome story! It was indeed a beautiful day for you! Given this time line it means we could potentially hear a new song by the end of this month! But I am not holding hope that the 10/27 date is true! This is U2 after all! They could intend to release it that date and then bang they get cold feet again and say they are waiting for god to enter the studio and push it back to spring!

Wow what a story. Glad it turned out ok for both of them!!

I need to hurry up if I want kids before U2 quits... Although, I imagine a lot less money for touring :p

News! I can feel things happening... Feel it.

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

I have one kid... Worst mistake of my life next to getting married

What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.

Anyways, I must be the worst U2 fan ever because I don't know which, nor do I give a flying fuck if, any U2 songs were released anywhere near the dates of my kids' birth :lol:

So I have made a couple of observations about the few people I talked to about the upcoming U2 album.

One friend is formerly a HUGE U2 fan, but is also a 32 year old man who wants to be a hipster college kid. It's not cool or ironic to like U2 right now, so he doesn't. He said he's going into the new album expecting it to suck, just like the last 3 did. He is a 90s U2 elitist fan.

One friend was so soured by NLOTH that they probably won't even listen to the new album.

One friend hates anything new that one of his favorite bands does. "I'll stick with the classics, thanks" he said when I asked if he's heard the new Tom Petty album (another artist he used to really like).

These people have already made up their minds that they're going to hate the new album, and they're not alone. They could put out the best album ever, but it won't make these people budge on their stance. U2 are going to have to make a HUGE splash in a HUGE way to get these people to change their minds. It's more than just making good music. They need to remind people that they actually like U2. Say what you want about HTDAAB, but the hype surrounding that album was electric, and people really rallied behind it as a result. But having a song like Beautiful Day or Vertigo helps, whereas having a completely stupid song like Get on your boots will throw off most people. "

So I have made a couple of observations about the few people I talked to about the upcoming U2 album.

One friend is formerly a HUGE U2 fan, but is also a 32 year old man who wants to be a hipster college kid. It's not cool or ironic to like U2 right now, so he doesn't. He said he's going into the new album expecting it to suck, just like the last 3 did. He is a 90s U2 elitist fan.

One friend was so soured by NLOTH that they probably won't even listen to the new album.

One friend hates anything new that one of his favorite bands does. "I'll stick with the classics, thanks" he said when I asked if he's heard the new Tom Petty album (another artist he used to really like).

These people have already made up their minds that they're going to hate the new album, and they're not alone. They could put out the best album ever, but it won't make these people budge on their stance. U2 are going to have to make a HUGE splash in a HUGE way to get these people to change their minds. It's more than just making good music. They need to remind people that they actually like U2. Say what you want about HTDAAB, but the hype surrounding that album was electric, and people really rallied behind it as a result. But having a song like Beautiful Day or Vertigo helps, whereas having a completely stupid song like Get on your boots will throw off most people. "

Those fans always existed. If the album is really great then those fans will be surrounded by others who like it and then in turn some will follow the herd. Some will be contrarian. I knew one idiot that disliked Achtung Baby because "they sold out" and then after many years liked it. Some people just want to stand out.

I personally just want to immerse myself in the music and lyrics and make up my own mind. When you try and find out what the music is actually about (with any art) you'll get so much more than worrying about being for or against a fan group.

setlist leak:

Main Set:

Sirens 1

Sirens 2 Ramones snippett "I Wanna be Sedated"

Who's Gonna Run Your Wild Horses

Peace on Earth ( dedicated to Gaza )

Love and Peace

Sirens 3

Sirens 4

Sirens 5

Beautiful Day -- Windows in the Sky snippet

Sweetest Thing

Satellite of Love ( dedicated to Lou Reed )

One Tree Hill

Cant Help Falling In Love

All I Want Is You - OOTS snippet

Encore(s):

Lemon

Sirens 6

Dirty Day ( phone call to Putin )

God Will Send His Angels

Where the Streets Have No Name Killers snippet "Battle Born"

Bad - Invisible Snippet

You just described 70% of Interference (95% if you include the Random Music threads).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom