LP13 - Still Waiting - 1980 days since Bono announced Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember U2 was gearing up to release the album and as quotes showed earlier this year they decided not to do it for whatever reason (lack of interest in Invisible/2nd album not done/Don't like Danger Mouse direction/Invisible was only song finished). We still don't have the official reason as to what happened.

in hindsight, it should have be so obvious. I mean, seriously, look at this picture. look at their faces:

u22.jpg

I believe it's at this precise moment, they realized that they'd recorded a thunderous dud.

Yeah that's true ! What the hell has become of this video shot almost a full YEAR ago ??

Was this shot for a song that was scrapped too...? :crack:

They apparently shot this video at Jim Doyle’s pub in Bray...

Anyone willing to go on a mission to find out more info from that shoot ? *LARRY & ADAM's MISSION IMPOSSIBLE'S THEME SONG*

See the cover photo...

https://www.facebook.com/U2Valencia

in hindsight, it should have be so obvious. I mean, seriously, look at this picture. look at their faces:

u22.jpg

I believe it's at this precise moment, they realized that they'd recorded a thunderous dud.

Plus the picture looks like a cold bundled up version of HTDAAB cover.

They've admitted in the past that they like starting things but have trouble finishing them. Then with comments from Ryan Tedder that things are much better than 6 months ago we can see they weren't ready.

Remember U2 was gearing up to release the album and as quotes showed earlier this year they decided not to do it for whatever reason (lack of interest in Invisible/2nd album not done/Don't like Danger Mouse direction/Invisible was only song finished). We still don't have the official reason as to what happened.

And we're never going to find out.

Yeah, this dallas clip is very interesting. But U2 2000-now are overcooking things and some great ideas get lost in the process

Looking at some fun highlights of the new album situation from U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Lyrics, U2 Photos and more!

August 4, 2010: Just a couple days before the start of the 2010 tour, U2 did an interview with the Italian newspaper, La Stampa. In it, Bono says that U2 now has four separate album-related projects:

"an ambient album, Songs of Ascent"
"a rock album"
a "club music" album

"the soundtrack of Spiderman, the musical debuting on Broadway in November"

August 7, 2010:Hot Press quotes Paul McGuinness

"I heard him telling an Italian journalist that he had four albums ready. That's not quite it! But that's what he was saying [laughs].":huh:

August 17, 2010: In the September 2 issue of Rolling Stone, Bono again talks about U2 having four separate projects (see August 4th entry below):

There are also a lot of [new songs]: four new albums' worth. In addition to Songs of Ascent -- a second set of tracks from the No Line sessions -- and Bono and the Edge's score for the Spider-Man musical (finally set to open on Broadway on December 21st), U2 are working on a "rock album," as Bono puts it, "and a club-sounding album." He expects U2 will release a new record, drawn from that body of songs, in time for their return to North America next year. "That's going to be great. Those people are going to have tickets to a whole new show with new songs.:huh:

June 8, 2011: Rolling Stone reports that U2 is now looking at late 2012 for its next studio album. Adam told the magazine that they'll likely use the material from working with Brian Burton, AKA "Danger Mouse."

"We have to focus on what we do best, and the work we did with Danger Mouse came closest to that. We want to be in the clubs and make pop music as well as the thing U2 does, but in the end, the thing we did with RedOne doesn't feel like the right fit."

June 9, 2011: David Guetta says he has not actually done any work with U2 yet.:lol: His name has been mentioned in relation to the "club-sounding" album that Bono has discussed previously.

October 26, 2011: In the latest issue of Q magazine, Adam suggests that U2 will probably not be pursuing the Songs Of Ascent project and songs.

We thought there was more material left over from No Line... we now feel a long way from that material.

April 24, 2012: In an RTE article about Norah Jones, the author twice mentions U2's work with producer Brian Burton (Danger Mouse). The first mention says that Burton has "just finished" producing U2's new album, and the second mentions says he's "almost finished."

June 1, 2012: Bono appears on the 50th anniversary special for Ireland's Late Late Show and talks about what the band is up to these days.

"There won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special. You just gotta go to that place. You gotta dig a deep well and see what you can pull up. We've been through many songs and there's some great stuff. I would say we had the best three weeks in the studio that we've had since, like, 1979. Three weeks is all it should take...."

January 9, 2013: Larry Mullen Jr. told Dave Fanning that U2 will "hopefully" have its next album released by September, and it will be the album with Danger Mouse producing. He also suggested that U2 wants to release a second album "shortly afterwards," comparing it to when Zooropa was released less than a year after Achtung Baby.

March 17, 2013: Adam Clayton is interviewed in the new issue of Hot Press magazine. The interview was done in mid-February, around the same time as the Adam quote below. In this interview, Adam says:

We very much want to have a record out by the end of the year, September, October, November; that kind of time. We're working with Dangermouse who's a smart guy. He's on it; he's excited. It's a great team and feels very liberating at the moment -- anything goes. We have an abundance of riches, we could make three or four different records and justify that to ourselves, but to make the best record you can, you have to steer away from the ones you can make easily. We're really trying to get into territory that we're not comfortable in. If that makes sense...

In an interview with The Guardian, Bono's wife Ali offered this comment about U2's new material:

They're well down the road on the new album and it sounds good.:rockon:

May 24, 2013: U2 is in New York City with Danger Mouse, who's been mixing the new album at Electric Lady Studios. They have a playback session tonight, which prompts Island Records founder Chris Blackwell to tweet that U2 sounds #betterthanever.:rockon:

May 30, 2013: Globe and Mail music writer Brad Wheeler tweets some quotes from an interview with Daniel Lanois, who apparently heard the new U2 album when Bono visited him a couple weeks ago in Los Angeles. The full interview is published on May 31st:

Bono just came to my place in L.A. a few weeks ago. He let me hear the new record that they're doing with Danger Mouse. It sounded amazing. Very, very big and powerful-sounding. Some of it was adventurous. There were shades of Achtung Baby. A couple of songs I was familiar with, because we worked on them before but had not completed them. Now they're back on the burner. Bono is very excited, and he's singing beautifully. He makes me jealous. Those barrel-chested Irish tenors.

May 31, 2013: Coldplay's Chris Martin shows up at Electric Lady Studios today while U2 is mixing its new album with Danger Mouse. But it's not clear if he's there to participate or just to listen. It's also quite possible that he's involved in the same project that prompts U2 to record an acoustic version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on the studio roof after their mixing work is done.

June 19, 2013: Steve Lillywhite, frequent U2 producer, confirms that he isn't working on U2's new album.:applaud:

August 2, 2013: Bono has finally said something about the new album, but there's not much to it. In a recent interview with a German newspaper, Bono said

I am a bit out of touch with the rest of the world at the moment, I am down in a big black hole with U2, as we are busy working on our next album. We don't know yet when it will come out. It could be finished within the next weeks, maybe at the end of the year. We are just lost in it, and we surely don't wanna wake up out of this until the dream is done.:cocktail:

August 20, 2013: The Italian U2 fan site U2place.com posts that one of its contacts at Universal Music Italy says U2's new album "definitely" won't be released in 2013.:|

September 8, 2013: Based on recent quotes from Larry Mullen and Dallas Schoo, it appears that U2 is back in the studio working on new songs again.:doh:

October 10, 2013: Adam Clayton was on Irish radio to talk about the Walk In My Shoes mental health campaign, but also talked about U2's album progress:

"We are still at it. We hope to have it finished very, very soon. And it will be out, oh ... sometime early next year. But it's a very exciting bunch of songs right at the moment. But it's just about to be finished, so it's hard to know which way they'll go.

"I think it's a bit of a return to U2 of old, but with the maturity, if you like, of the U2 of the last 10 years. It's a combination of those two things and it's a really interesting hybrid.

"We're in the studio. We're trying to get these 12 songs absolutely right and get them finished by the end of November, and then we can kind of enjoy Christmas."

October 17, 2013: U2 have written a new song, "Ordinary Love," for the Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom film soundtrack. A clip of the song premiered today in a new trailer for the movie. It's not known if the song will also appear on U2's next album.:huh:

December 9, 2013: An LA Times article speculates that U2's album will be out in April. It mentions a new song called "Invisible" and describes the album in these ways:

"...a collection of songs told partly from the perspective of an innocent and partly from a seasoned veteran."
"it has traces of the Clash and Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk ... but it also comes laden with soul and old-school R&B."
"Thematically, the album will center on the collision between hard-earned wisdom and youthful hunger."

January 13, 2014: At a Golden Globes afterparty, Bono reportedly told one music writer that the new album will be out around June 2014.:cocktail:

January 24, 2014: At the WEF in Davos, Bono reveals that "Invisible" will be one of the songs on U2's next album.

January 30, 2014: In a USA Today article, Bono says "Invisible" isn't the first single from U2's new album, but it's being used for the (RED)/Super Bowl campaign because "it's the first song we finished.":cocktail: He also says the band will keep working on the album "for a couple of months. We want it to come out this summer, but you don't want to let anyone down." He also says U2 may experiment with a couple different producers in the final stages of album work.

February 4, 2014: The Edge gives Jo Whiley a pretty good explanation of what U2 is still doing in the studio these days.

We're trying to make sure that there's no fuzzy thinking involved. In the end, it's songs. You obviously want some innovative production, but it comes down to the same thing: Have you got a great melodic idea and great lyrics? And if you can't put it across on an acoustic guitar, you probably don't have that. So we're going through all that process. And on this album, we really went quite far out there and now this final phase is like bringing it all home and making sure that it's all tight and high, that there's no self-indulgent aspects to the work.

He doesn't give a release date, but says he won't have much of a summer holiday "because I'll be pretty busy."

February 18, 2014: The Edge tells Rolling Stone that U2 has about 30 songs "that we're excited about, in various states of being finished" and "six or seven [of those] are mixed and ready to go."

February 28, 2014: During a pre-Oscars interview, Bono tells his old friend, Amanda Brunker, that U2 is working on two albums.

March 7, 2014: Billboard magazine cites its own sources in reporting that U2's album won't be out until 2015, and a planned tour is also pushed back until then, too.

March 10, 2014: Replying to the recent Billboard report (see below), a U2 spokesperson tells the Guardian that U2 is still planning to release a new album in 2014.

March 25, 2014: Reports surface that U2 has been recording at The Church Studios in London, which is owned by producer Paul Epworth -- one of the people said to be working on U2's next album

PRODUCER(s): Lots of them! Since No Line On The Horizon was released, U2 has worked with Brian Burton (Danger Mouse), Will.i.am, David Guetta, RedOne, Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder. The Danger Mouse album is said to be the one U2 has been working on primarily. But in early 2014, as the record progress slowed down and he shifted to his Broken Bells project, Epworth and Tedder were reported to be taking over.

July 25, 2014:
GMA: Tell us it's out soon''

Ryan Tedder: ''Well, it's a lot closer than 6 months ago''

Hopefully this story is ending SOON!

U2 had a working title for No line on the horizon called The Pilgirm and the lack of progress. This new album has become Grim and still lack of progress. U2 found recording of No line on the horzion an real struggle. 2016 American election that goes for like 12 months could be a factor when U2 will tour again. U2 the political band would like to do concerts in united states of america in a election year. Fez was going to be first track on no line on the horzion and should have been the first single.:wave:

Hahaha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom