LP13: Oh well Oh Well Oh Well Oh Well....Tell Me More!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice...

Bv_W2VEIMAELAkx.jpg:medium

https://twitter.com/simonpeyda/status/504357914870833152/photo/1
Wow.

What is crazy is that it has been 5.5 years since we were told an album was imminent. Over 2000 days. You can deal with long breaks if they aren't stringing you along in the meantime, but I do t get how after 5 or 6 aborted efforts they didn't just learn to not say anything when asked.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

'House of Cards' by Radiohead; I have a strange feeling that the new U2 single might have that kind of vibe overall.

I don't know why. I always thought it could of been a U2 track in another life.

No it doesn't.

To say an artist with massive world wide appeal, say a Taylor Swift, will take away from a U2 release is a very logical statement.

To say Aphex Twin will is just silly.

This is not to say anything of the quality of the release or the artist. Just the mass world wide popularity.

Yep. Agreed 100%. And I love Aphex Twin.

'House of Cards' by Radiohead; I have a strange feeling that the new U2 single might have that kind of vibe overall.

The owls are not what they seem.

a cunning linguist once told me

If you're not wasted

the day is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY

One time i was driving to work, must have been 15 years ago, no - make that 14 years ago. I was driving along in traffic minding my own business, and traffic stopped and so we waited on a light or a train or an idonthaveafuckingcluewhat

So im sitting there stopped and i feel this little thump - bump...something

Car behind me tapped me in the rear bumper. So i get out to go see if there's any damage, well there wasn't. So i walk back to the car behind me and its this college kid sitting there looking completely dazed, freshly rolled up joint sitting there on his lap.

I asked him WTF? and he was like, Sorry Bro. I looked back at the little POS car i was driving and was kinda like, yeah, not big deal its not even my car anyways. But i would like to take a slow ride with you if you know what i mean.

He was like, okay get in, so we sat there and proceeded to do our thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDd02TTxBA

About the time we had reached enlightenment, all was good in the world, until our journey was rudely interrupted by scary figures in dark clothing beating on the window. At first we just laughed, and began to wonder what system they were from. Maybe they were lost and looking for answers?

The two dark figures were insistent that we acknowledge them, so we attempted to roll down the windows, which was no small feat, but somehow we got them down and offered peace and love and understanding to our new found friends & visitors.

They kept yelling something at us - something about the traffic and why we were blocking it - but it was all so amusing we were riding the wave and so peace out bro.

Before i knew it the sun had set and this shiny old spaceship came in and took away my little pod in which i was travelling. Another rugged old ship came in and took away my companions pod, and we were left sitting in the forest with umbilical cords wrapped around our wrists and daisies swirling around our heads in the final gasp of the suns misty rays.

The night opened old wounds long forgotten. Trees swaying and bowing to our presence, giant moons orbiting each other to confuse the poor dairy cows. An old rusty windmill came alive and chased us through the fields after we tried to snack on some yard bird babies, fresh in their oval cocoons.

The windmill chased us through the fields and into the muddy creeks were we found temporary shelter from its evil blades.

Finally the dark figures we'd met before saved us from the terrible beast and took us to a safe place where we could get some shelter for the night. It wasn't very comfortable and was a little bit crowded, but im still greatfull for their kindness.

What is crazy is that it has been 5.5 years since we were told an album was imminent. Over 2000 days. You can deal with long breaks if they aren't stringing you along in the meantime, but I do t get how after 5 or 6 aborted efforts they didn't just learn to not say anything when asked.

That's actually an amusing point. They shouldn't have made any mention of Songs of Ascent or anything of that nature. They were pretty much in the middle of promoting No Line and the accompanying tour. They should have kept that stuff on the downlow.

The gut feelings are strong with this one.

You think Rolling Stone and Q still have any influence? That's a half serious question - I assume the actual magazines are nosediving, and they certainly are not and never have been go-to online resources. It's easy to say they're the 'big' mainstream outlets for people like U2 (true), but that's really just positioning and history. I assume the 'niche' Pitchfork eeeasily gets many more eyeballs than both combined.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Int

That's actually an amusing point. They shouldn't have made any mention of Songs of Ascent or anything of that nature. They were pretty much in the middle of promoting No Line and the accompanying tour. They should have kept that stuff on the downlow.

To be fair, Bono's back injury and the extra time they had to spend on the Spider-Man debacle are huge factors in the delays/change of plans. It's not like they've simply been indecisive for no reason.

This does not, however, condone the idiocy of the Super Bowl promo without a subsequent release. But I think the trajectory of everything would have been a lot different without those two detours. A recuperating Bono likely had a lot of time on his hands and spent it second-guessing the band's work in the previous year or two.

You think Rolling Stone and Q still have any influence? That's a half serious question - I assume the actual magazines are nosediving, and they certainly are not and never have been go-to online resources. It's easy to say they're the 'big' mainstream outlets for people like U2 (true), but that's really just positioning and history. I assume the 'niche' Pitchfork eeeasily gets many more eyeballs than both combined.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Int

pitchfork.com Site Overview

rollingstone.com Site Overview

To be fair, Bono's back injury and the extra time they had to spend on the Spider-Man debacle are huge factors in the delays/change of plans. It's not like they've simply been indecisive for no reason.

This does not, however, condone the idiocy of the Super Bowl promo without a subsequent release. But I think the trajectory of everything would have been a lot different without those two detours. A recuperating Bono likely had a lot of time on his hands and spent it second-guessing the band's work in the previous year or two.

Reasoning aside, it still was pure lunacy to 'announce' songs of ascent a week after NLOTH. They couldn't win after that came out.

Reasoning aside, it still was pure lunacy to 'announce' songs of ascent a week after NLOTH. They couldn't win after that came out.

Yeah that was a bit ridiculous. And they'll probably continue making the same remarks about that rumored second album once this album comes out.

Yeah that was a bit ridiculous. And they'll probably continue making the same remarks about that rumored second album once this album comes out.

Probably. Although, the current secrecy culture gives me hope that they have finally learnt the lessob

The Super Bowl promo wasn't for the album - it was a single for (RED) to help in the fight against AIDS. Hardly idiotic.

At the end of the day no one on this thread has any inkling of an idea as to what is behind the timing of the album. I for one am looking forward to it whenever it comes out

The Super Bowl promo wasn't for the album - it was a single for (RED) to help in the fight against AIDS. Hardly idiotic.

At the end of the day no one on this thread has any inkling of an idea as to what is behind the timing of the album. I for one am looking forward to it whenever it comes out

the idea wasn't idiotic, no..

but, I think not capitalizing on that attention was a blow - a massive missed opportunity.

I thought that was clear. Don't know anyone here who thinks raising money for AIDS relief/research is a bad move.

Then again, I don't frequent Free Your Mind.

Bottom line is that when a band is gone for that amount of time and rumors are circulating about the completion of an album, the release of a single is understood to be promo for a that album. To buy the most expensive commercial time of the year and not use it as a springboard...we'll see if that delay was worth it. Because I'm sure most of us here recognize that the second-guessing on No Line and bringing in Steve Lillywhite did not do that album any favors.

I thought that was clear. Don't know anyone here who thinks raising money for AIDS relief/research is a bad move.

Then again, I don't frequent Free Your Mind.

Bottom line is that when a band is gone for that amount of time and rumors are circulating about the completion of an album, the release of a single is understood to be promo for a that album. To buy the most expensive commercial time of the year and not use it as a springboard...we'll see if that delay was worth it. Because I'm sure most of us here recognize that the second-guessing on No Line and bringing in Steve Lillywhite did not do that album any favors.
:up:

Fundamental misunderstanding of the opposing argument - AIDS research and fundraising is definitely not idiotic. The fact that they had a huge wave of publicity off the back if it after being away for so long was a missed opportunity.

To your second point, that is also incorrect. You just to know who to trust ;)

You mean you guys don't like the song Stand Up Comedy?

I find it amusing that everybody assumes silence is some sort of intentional secrecy - possibly to build hype (what hype, where?) - rather than the usual poor communication and inattention to a fanbase they assume will be there whether or not they say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom