LP13 - It all comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if the new album's a classic or not.
I really don't even care if its any good at all.
It's not about quality for me, at all, it's all about quantity.
U2 owe me and like the taxman or the grim reaper, im here to collect.
I want a double album, two of them, full of filler, clunkers, Get on your stand up comedy or ill go crazy tonight.
I demand a double album and i demand they release it NOW
I will not go gently into that good night
Release the double album now or there will be heads in mailboxes
all around the country
all across the world
bloody heads
still breathing
bleeding
beating
thirsty
meaty
heads

Presentation: 8
Content: 6.5

Sent from my prototype iPhone 6 ™2014 Apple Inc.

kaffeetrinker_2.gif

U2 radio had a sponsored post on my Facebook feed that the album is done. Clicked on it and there's no reliable source. Fucking liars !

What's with the author picture. His fingers kinda creep me out

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We already have confirmation the album is done. The only thing that held it back was summer holidays.

Er, we also had "confirmation" last summer that the album was done with Rolling Stone's reports on the listening parties at the studios in New York.

Er, we also had "confirmation" last summer that the album was done with Rolling Stone's reports on the listening parties at the studios in New York.

No we assumed it was done. The album was being mixed. Then they got into the Ordinary Love phase to try and get an Oscar. They've been in the mixing phase for a long time and working on two records plus agreeing to do another movie soundtrack for John Carney. I don't think they want to miss the Christmas season again unless they want to release in late 2015.

Let's all hope that when the album is released we will all say "THE WAIT WAS FUCKING WORTH IT, GREAT ALBUM !"

I will not attempt to compare it to JT, AB or ATYCLB because each album belongs to a specific era and are the pinnacle of that period ;

JT ; 80's
AB; 90's
ATYCLB ; 00's

This will be their first album of the 10's...and maybe their last one. So I hope that they will deliver a classic that will be a staple of this time. I know they don't owe us anything, but I'd love another classic album :pray:

This post got me thinking about all the other comments about U2 "not owing us fans anything". I agree with the sentiment in general but I understand why we should expect/hope/demand :madwife: greatness this time around. Its been 5+ years for one thing and the band gave every indication throughout the 360 era that a quick follow up was forthcoming. I think we all hope this album will be "worth the wait". My one fear at this point is that the extra delay will add songs that just don't fit or measure up to the rest of the album like the middle 3 in NLOTH.

JT's greatness was partially the result of young musicians coming of age with confidence and having the guts to issue WOWY as a single which was unlike anything you would have heard on top 40 radio at the time.

AB's greatness was partially the result of just how unexpected the reinvention was and the cohesiveness of the album.

ATYCLB was great because it was "comfort food" after a decade of experimentation. The incredibly solid but accessible lead single did not hurt either.

I'm hoping this next album will be great because the band wants one last great album and is willing to put in the time and energy to make it so. My fear is that the additional time will only hurt....

Hopefully we get to decide for ourselves soon.

I don't fear anything. If I like it, I like it. If I don't like it, I'll listen to their other albums I like more.

I'm sure there will be a couple songs I love, a couple I really like, and a couple that are ok or meh. I'm ok with that.

I don't fear anything. If I like it, I like it. If I don't like it, I'll listen to their other albums I like more.

I'm sure there will be a couple songs I love, a couple I really like, and a couple that are ok or meh. I'm ok with that.

This means you are not a real fan :wink:... despite your post count.

Fear may not be the right word but I think its fair to say that its likely that this current cycle could spawn their last studio album (albums?) and as a fan I want my favorite band to not mess up their legacy much in the same way that I want my sports teams to win...

Their legacy is cemented. If the album is a disaster, it's a blip on the radar. If it's a massive, massive critical success that has hits with plenty of artistic merit, it'll add an exclamation point to their legacy.

But it's almost mostly set in stone. Nothing they do will top what they did 1985-2001 (or pick whatever arbitrary start/end points, but it certainly has to include the Joshua Tree and Zoo eras) critically or commercially, and nothing they do will erode what they did during that time period either.

Their legacy is cemented. If the album is a disaster, it's a blip on the radar. If it's a massive, massive critical success that has hits with plenty of artistic merit, it'll add an exclamation point to their legacy.

But it's almost mostly set in stone. Nothing they do will top what they did 1985-2001 (or pick whatever arbitrary start/end points, but it certainly has to include the Joshua Tree and Zoo eras) critically or commercially, and nothing they do will erode what they did during that time period either.

:up:

Fair enough.

But when we talk about "legacy" I think of a band's whole career. I'd like to believe that U2 is in the conversation with the Rolling Stones and Beatles as the greatest of all time. Obviously the Beatles were done before they could become irrelevant but they were prolific and exceptional pretty much the whole time they were making music. The knock on the Stones is that they've been predominantly a touring band the better part of the last three decades.

As a fan that cares about how my favorite band is perceived by the masses (irrational or not as this sentiment may be) I don't want the knock on U2 to be that they released SH?T albums late in their career. As for this album being just a blip on the radar if its bad I'd have to say that the last really well received album/single would be HTDAAB/Vertigo and that was 10 years ago, this new album and NLOTH will surely represent a 13-15 year+ window once the next cycle starts if there even is one.

But I digress, I do agree and think its better to just not really care either way, if the new album sucks, fine, I'll listen to their old stuff. If the middle three tunes suck, fine, I'll skip them.

Cheers

Fair enough.

But when we talk about "legacy" I think of a band's whole career. I'd like to believe that U2 is in the conversation with the Rolling Stones and Beatles as the greatest of all time. Obviously the Beatles were done before they could become irrelevant but they were prolific and exceptional pretty much the whole time they were making music. The knock on the Stones is that they've been predominantly a touring band the better part of the last three decades.

As a fan that cares about how my favorite band is perceived by the masses (irrational or not as this sentiment may be) I don't want the knock on U2 to be that they released SH?T albums late in their career. As for this album being just a blip on the radar if its bad I'd have to say that the last really well received album/single would be HTDAAB/Vertigo and that was 10 years ago, this new album and NLOTH will surely represent a 13-15 year+ window once the next cycle starts if there even is one.

But I digress, I do agree and think its better to just not really care either way, if the new album sucks, fine, I'll listen to their old stuff. If the middle three tunes suck, fine, I'll skip them.

Cheers

I think it's easy to fear that the U2 legacy will get hurt because many of us here have experienced their great periods and are now experiencing the downslope of their career that is not so great. Also, the Bono public perception bull shit.

But... When the smoke clears (they are done and Bono has disappeared into obscurity) people will be begin to look back at this band and see how important they were to music and Bono's positive impact on our lives.

Once it's all unfolded people will begin to see the full story not just the small snap shots. There is no other story like it, it's incredible and won't be seen again.

Yep. I'd say their legacy was "cemented" with ATYCLB. At that point, they did it all...a well respected debut, huge commercial success, wide spread critical phase, reinvention, experimentation, critical backlash, a loss in popularity and finally culminating in a massive critical and commercial comeback which crucially created a new generation of fans. Everything a band can do, they've done. Nothing that they've done since 2001, or will do, IMO is going to significantly impact their legacy one way or another, and certainly comments that they're "damaging" their legacy are absurd. Despite them doing their best, most crucial and memorable work prior to 2001, that "comeback" was critical, IMO, to how they are regarded today.

Had they just fizzled out after Pop, it might be a different story. They'd still be respected and fondly remembered, but not among the elite of the elite as they are now.

Yep. I'd say their legacy was "cemented" with ATYCLB. At that point, they did it all...a well respected debut, huge commercial success, wide spread critical phase, reinvention, experimentation, critical backlash, a loss in popularity and finally culminating in a massive critical and commercial comeback which crucially created a new generation of fans. Everything a band can do, they've done. Nothing that they've done since 2001, or will do, IMO is going to significantly impact their legacy one way or another, and certainly comments that they're "damaging" their legacy are absurd. Despite them doing their best, most crucial and memorable work prior to 2001, that "comeback" was critical, IMO, to how they are regarded today.

Had they just fizzled out after Pop, it might be a different story. They'd still be respected and fondly remembered, but not among the elite of the elite as they are now.

I completely agree. At this point they're just proving it to themselves.

Great post. Agree with everything you said.

The other dimension to add to the legacy of U2 is that the last three tours have been off the charts successful, despite being new album promos, and not greatest hits tours.

yes their new albums have not been that good but their tours have been fabulous..still a great live band..if not a studio band..

And I think it's dramatic to say that they are in any way a 'bad' studio band now. Sure they haven't hit the previous heights, but the bar was very high. Each of the last three albums has some real highlights and lowlights. The biggest criticism of the last three is their safety for me, not so much the overall quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom