LP 13 talk & Bono's haircut tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only reason there could be even the smallest shred of truth to it is because of what Adam Mercer said months ago -- that the first record was all Danger Mouse's, and it makes sense if U2 want to have this be the last go around just to say fuck it, and do two albums.

It's less than a Dumb and Dumber Lloyd Christmas/Mary Swanson chance, though.

There's no way U2 will
A: Release an album this summer (we'll be damn fortunate to see it in 2014 at all)
B: Release a double album ever- They're too afraid to release a single album

Them playing the world cup is the most believable part about that. They're fans of football, they love Brazil, Brazil loves them.

"It's alive, afraid, a lie, a sin
It's magic, it's tragic, it's a loss, it's a win
It's dark, it's moist, it's a bitter pain
It's sad it happened and it's a shame"

The only reason there could be even the smallest shred of truth to it is because of what Adam Mercer said months ago -- that the first record was all Danger Mouse's, and it makes sense if U2 want to have this be the last go around just to say fuck it, and do two albums.

I will say it again; and I got fucking crucified here last February when that quote came out and I said it the first time...."That whole first record" means ORDINARY LOVE THE FUCKING SONG. It DOESN"T mean a whole other album....."records" in the UK can mean "singles" for Christ's Goddamn sake.....U2 ain't releasing a double album....if they do I'm the first to punch myself in the eye because I'll be so fucking happy I'll shit my pants.
But come on folks.....

I will say it again; and I got fucking crucified here last February when that quote came out and I said it the first time...."That whole first record" means ORDINARY LOVE THE FUCKING SONG. It DOESN"T mean a whole other album....."records" in the UK can mean "singles" for Christ's Goddamn sake.....U2 ain't releasing a double album....if they do I'm the first to punch myself in the eye because I'll be so fucking happy I'll shit my pants.
But come on folks.....

I never thought about it that way, but you're probably correct. Sometimes musicians refer to single songs as "records", instead of/in addition to referring to full length albums with mulitple songs as records.

I got crucified on here awhile back for suggesting fall 2014 as a possibility. Sometimes the unpopular possibilities just need to be said!

I never thought about it that way, but you're probably correct. Sometimes musicians refer to single songs as "records", instead of/in addition to referring to full length albums with mulitple songs as records.

I got crucified on here awhile back for suggesting fall 2014 as a possibility. Sometimes the unpopular possibilities just need to be said!

A year ago Fall 2014 was a ridiculous notion. Now it's our best case scenario and isn't by any means confirmed....

But come on folks.....

Crucified? Man, you love playing victim. It's easy to say you're right now, we all wanted 2 albums, but given their history most of us knew in the back of our heads. But given the context of Broken Bell's quote, quotes from both Bono and Adam, and the use of 'album' and 'record' it's clear there was a grand idea of two albums at one time.

The reason why people have argued this record theory of yours is because they used the word as a plural, also.

Crucified? Man, you love playing victim. It's easy to say you're right now, we all wanted 2 albums, but given their history most of us knew in the back of our heads. But given the context of Broken Bell's quote, quotes from both Bono and Adam, and the use of 'album' and 'record' it's clear there was a grand idea of two albums at one time.

Exactly. I'd say it's pretty clear he meant records as albums. It would just seem weird to say he produced that "whole song." Of course, who knows if we'll ever see two albums or they decide to mix the best tracks of each into one.

But come on folks.....

James Mercer is American.

The world cup starts two weeks today (come on England) so surely if they were playing it would have be announced by now.

Who are bono,edge,larrys and adams football teams anyway? I thought about this the other day. Celtic?

If there working on a double album ,i cant see it being released as a double, i reckon it would be similar to achtung and zooropa. The 2nd would be released while on tour.

James Mercer is one thing. Larry Mullen is another.

Do I think they're gonna release two albums? No.

That said, it's actually not so incredibly crazy.

Especially when you are reminded that Larry said this:

I'd say we will be finished by the summer - and hopefully we will have something released by September. Hopefully what we will be able to do is release September this year and shortly afterwards, release again. That's what we want to do.

Report: Larry Says U2 Planning New Album by September 2013

That's almost 16 months old by now...take it FWIW and I'm sure you guys will.

Personally, I expect one album...sometime before the zombie apocalypse.

This thread is getting funnier... and worse all at the same time...:lol:
:lmao:

The new album threads are no stranger to downward spirals.
:lol::lol:

tumblr_inline_n0qlynOCZm1qcjk35.gif

did u know that the digital-art tech guys ( and gals?) had to write special programing to make Merida's beautiful, curly, spirally hair move correctly.

obviously her hair moves in mysterious ways

:D

Bono and Edge now members of the Board Of Directors for Fender guitars.... Another thing to distract them!

I haven't seen Bono play a Fender guitar since the early 80s. Seems strange.

Also aren't Bono and Edge working on music for some movie? That'll delay the album approximately 6 months! ;)

But come on folks.....

No.

The context of the quote makes your theory make no sense.

Would he take breaks to work on the U2 record? Was he thinking of that at the same time as working on that record?

Yeah, he definitely was going back and forth. It was kind of fun to be able to hear the works in progress of U2 because I was such a huge fan of theirs in high school.

How's it sounding?

It sounds awesome. It sounds really cool. It was kind of cool to hear that they record in a very similar way to the way that I work, where you improvise and try your best to come up with melodies and stuff but you don't have any lyrics.

I can't wait to hear what he does with them.

Me too. I'm so hoping it's going to do well for both parties. I think it would be great to be a hit.

Is he going to do the whole record with them?

Apparently they've done just tons of material.
Apparently that whole first record is just Brian's work.

The entire discussion refers to work on an album. The direct question in which the quote is an answer to refers to "record" in a way that ONLY makes sense if they're talking about an album. Nobody would ask if he was doing "the whole song" with them, as if it were something newsworthy. Directly before Mercer's quote in question he discusses the huge amounts of material they've done. Again, something that makes the "record means song" theory make zero sense.

So yes, when one says "record" it is possible that they're referring to just one song... but in the context of this interview it makes ZERO sense, and is clearly referring to multiple albums.

Whether or not Mercer has any particular insight and accidentally let something slip, or he is just aware that they've worked with multiple producers and assumes there are multiple albums? Yea, those things can be debated.

But in no way is he referring to a "record" as Ordinary Love and only Ordinary Love. The context of the discussion makes that incredibly crystal clear.

No.

The context of the quote makes your theory make no sense.

Would he take breaks to work on the U2 record? Was he thinking of that at the same time as working on that record?

Yeah, he definitely was going back and forth. It was kind of fun to be able to hear the works in progress of U2 because I was such a huge fan of theirs in high school.

How's it sounding?

It sounds awesome. It sounds really cool. It was kind of cool to hear that they record in a very similar way to the way that I work, where you improvise and try your best to come up with melodies and stuff but you don't have any lyrics.

I can't wait to hear what he does with them.

Me too. I'm so hoping it's going to do well for both parties. I think it would be great to be a hit.

Is he going to do the whole record with them?

Apparently they've done just tons of material.
Apparently that whole first record is just Brian's work.

The entire discussion refers to work on an album. The direct question in which the quote is an answer to refers to "record" in a way that ONLY makes sense if they're talking about an album. Nobody would ask if he was doing "the whole song" with them, as if it were something newsworthy. Directly before Mercer's quote in question he discusses the huge amounts of material they've done. Again, something that makes the "record means song" theory make zero sense.

So yes, when one says "record" it is possible that they're referring to just one song... but in the context of this interview it makes ZERO sense, and is clearly referring to multiple albums.

Whether or not Mercer has any particular insight and accidentally let something slip, or he is just aware that they've worked with multiple producers and assumes there are multiple albums? Yea, those things can be debated.

But in no way is he referring to a "record" as Ordinary Love and only Ordinary Love. The context of the discussion makes that incredibly crystal clear.

Well done Headache, it's pretty obvious in the context as well, would have been easier if they had just said album, but it is what it is. Especially when he says whole, why in the world would you say whole for just one song, c'mon!

James Mercer is one thing. Larry Mullen is another.

Do I think they're gonna release two albums? No.

That said, it's actually not so incredibly crazy.

Especially when you are reminded that Larry said this:

Report: Larry Says U2 Planning New Album by September 2013

That's almost 16 months old by now...take it FWIW and I'm sure you guys will.

Personally, I expect one album...sometime before the zombie apocalypse.

Yeah, and then Bono brought it up around the Golden Globes or Oscars or whatever.

I agree with you, I don't think they're going to release two albums, but it does appear to at least be a possibility in their minds.

That said, I'm not buying the U2Valencia rumor, but I'd love to be wrong.

I mean, Bono even said there were two albums being worked on right before the Oscars in that interview with the Irish lady where they were knocking back highballs. Of course, it means little to nothing because they have said shit like that before. Not believing it is completely reasonable. But to deny its existence as a rumor or a consideration in the U2 camp is being obtuse.

Ok I'm wrong Mercer meant first record as an album, not OL the song.

Which then means they completed an entire album with DM at some point and have tons of material. And Bono and Larry have mentioned two albums.

And I can't wait to hear all the new stuff....what a treat it's going to be to get so much material.

Back
Top Bottom