LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's awesome to see how people on iWebsites are thrilled to see the next iPhone and are completely sure that the "one more thing" will be the SmartWatch. And we're waiting for U2 (or Bono) to appear between everything with a new song

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The iWatch won't be the "one more thing," and neither will U2. They haven't done "one more thing" since Steve Jobs died.

That was his thing, and should remain his thing.

This is a very sensible subject. I don't know about other people, but Everytime we receive some "tip", we just want to share with all the fans (after that being verified, of course). And it's so fragile to handle these tiny little pieces of informations...sometimes people say specifically not to told anyone (like on previous tour, when we knew about a week prior when the tour were about to pass here, and we couldn't share the information), and sometimes the info can't be verified at all (like the document from universal - we couldn't just released it when no one it was legit or not). And sometimes we need to spread the info in order to verify (like the whole Bridgegate situation. The only way to see if the info was real, was to spread the images and see if the locals should help).

So, maybe when people don't release the info they have right now, is because sometimes there's something holding on. Or maybe we tend to have a bigger sense of responsibility because we're a fansite and we handle with literally thousands of people believing in our word. It's a hard thing.

Not disputing what you are saying at all, but im curious about something, if this person really is a journalist who spent a lot of time with the band, what does he have to gain by going to one of the band's fansites and stirring people up? Does he expect special treatment for having been in their company?

Again not trying to knock you or him, or not trying to imply that you are him, or whatever. I just wonder....

If i were famous, or friends of someone famous, or in their inner circle during a period of intense creativity, im not sure i would make that public at their fansite. Most likely i would just try to distance myself from that type of behavior, perhaps write crazy stories or something, maybe hang out in the alley with the rejects and blow smoke bubbles out of my ass or something.

This!

Completely unprofessional and childish.

It's also questionable to say "I wasn't going to say this but..." and then expose him.

Uncouth all around.

Track listing for new album:
1. Zero
2. Ugly night
3. Infrared light
4. Small girls are worst
5. Stories for girls
6. Even worse then the fake thing
7. Without you or with you
8. Good
9. Who's ganna ride your domesticated dogs?
10. Mommy's ganna pay for your crashed boat
11.everybody hates a looser
12. Enter
13. If satan will send his devils (bonus)

It's also questionable to say "I wasn't going to say this but..." and then expose him.

I didn't "expose" anyone. And I'm not breaking any kind of confidence by saying what I know. And the only reason I brought it up now is because other people here keep bringing up the guy and attacking him, and I was responding to that.

Not disputing what you are saying at all, but im curious about something, if this person really is a journalist who spent a lot of time with the band, what does he have to gain by going to one of the band's fansites and stirring people up? Does he expect special treatment for having been in their company?

Again not trying to knock you or him, or not trying to imply that you are him, or whatever. I just wonder....

If i were famous, or friends of someone famous, or in their inner circle during a period of intense creativity, im not sure i would make that public at their fansite. Most likely i would just try to distance myself from that type of behavior, perhaps write crazy stories or something, maybe hang out in the alley with the rejects and blow smoke bubbles out of my ass or something.

Well, I don't know why he posts there. But he actually posts relatively rarely, it's just that when he does post it gets outsized attention. And I don't think he ever claimed to be friends with them, or in their inner circle as a friend. And certainly no longer.

But here's an idea Mrs. Garrison, you seem like a thoughtful, intelligent person...why not go over there and just ask him? All the guy has gotten from here has been personal attacks and ridicule (not saying you're doing this). If anyone has questions, for crying out loud just talk to him like a person.

Yea this is exactly how I feel.

As someone who's spent a lot of his adult life amongst the U2 fan web community, via developing my own site, or becoming life long friends with those who run other sites, tribute bands, etc etc etc... I am offended when somebody takes advantage of the fan base, because it belittles those who work so hard to provide a good service to all of us.

So frankly, I really hope that you're right about Fisher, Nick. I do. But I just see yet another troll who gets his or her jollies off from misleading a very emotional fan base.

The issue is dropped as far as I'm concerned, and I'll take you at your word that he isn't trolling... but I've known of people who were once "in the know" who became out of the know, but felt the need to continue to lead people on as if they were. They're pathetic. I hope for his sake and yours that he/she is not that person.

Chicken fucked, horse beaten, issue over.

Thanks for this. But really, he hasn't come and claimed any kind of insider info on this record...he's been upfront when he thinks he knows something and when he's speculating. But you know what...your point about people abusing the trust of U2 fans on these sites is well taken. And I'd rather have someone just come out and say "This is what I know, this is what I don't" then cryptic hints, winks and nods, all while implying they know more than they're letting on. To me, that's trolling. Has Fisher done that? Has he said "Hey I know X, but I can't tell you?"

If someone came on a U2 site today or a Mac site tomorrow (and both are doing it) and said "This is the name of the single" or "this is the name of the record"...how refreshing would that be? But just implying you know something that's already out there being speculated on by the press? That's not genuine to me.

Anyway, yeah, I don't enjoy arguing about Fisher any more than anyone else, In fact I don't think I've brought up Fisher debate since Diemen asked us not to...though others certain have, and not what I'd regard in a constructive way. So to the extent anyone believes anything I have to say on here, I'm convinced through checking it out myself (and not just based on what he says) the guy is genuine and not trolling. I know that others over @U2 in a position to know have done the same.

Anyway...yeah...Tuesday and hopefully all will be right with the world. :)

I use it for unimportant email (i.e., the one I use for online shopping and crap like that).

All I'm hoping for is a U2 song in some way, shape, or form. I'm guessing it will be played during the commercial they end up showing for one of their announcements on Tuesday.

I didn't "expose" anyone. And I'm not breaking any kind of confidence by saying what I know. And the only reason I brought it up now is because other people here keep bringing up the guy and attacking him, and I was responding to that.

Sure you did. People asked who he was and he said he didn't want to say. Now that you've exposed he's a journalist, then it's pretty easy to narrow down, not many journalist/photographers were allowed in the studio during Zooropa.

After all of the info we have received over the past 2 weeks, here is what Cosmo thinks will happen:

U2 will not pre-load their album on the iphone 6. Why?, because they are not in the business of giving away their music for free(single here or there but not an album).

U2 will not give away a single, not a lead single from an album 5 years in the making.

What I think is that U2s new single will be the song in the Iphone6/iwatch/Beats ad! Julian Lennon said they were shooting an ad for Apple, so this fits. we know that there was some sort of video being shot in Dublin but no U2 spotted and some actor was holding a phone(iphone) and had what appear to be Beats headphones on....ad???

This is the win/win angle that people cant find in the pre-loaded iphone scenario (in that scenario U2 gives away music for free?and does Apple really need U2 to sell their iphone?? ). BUT.....advertising is HUGE business and companies are always looking for music to hitch to their products (how many companies would love to have real hit songs hitched to their products vs generic jingles). So, Apple wins by getting what is presumably a hit U2 song that will be in peoples heads and they will think of the Iphone/iwatch/Beats and U2 gets free advertising of their new single through the holiday season.

Win...win!

Now its a thin line to walk for U2(or any artist) in that you really need to hitch your song to a product that involves music (see iPod), so I think it will involve Beats in some way.

And before people say "U2 is too old to make hits, the best they can hope for is Adult Contemporary or blah, blah", Beautiful Day and Vertigo were both hits and yes, Vertigo was 10 years ago but in the past 10 years they release only one album and the lead single was a Vertigo re-write(that was for Mikal).

Bottom line.....New U2 song will be featured in the new Apple Beats/iphone 6 ad that will run through the holidays. simultaneously, U2 will release the song to radio and a proper video will also be release....all on 9/9.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So what's going to happen when 9/9 rolls around and there's no mention of U2 at all?
I haven't seen any hard evidence at all that U2 are even remotely involved with this Apple iPhone thing. Just rumors and speculation.

So what's going to happen when 9/9 rolls around and there's no mention of U2 at all?
I haven't seen any hard evidence at all that U2 are even remotely involved with this Apple iPhone thing. Just rumors and speculation.
I'll be distracted by the damn keynote.

Ok, so my brother is a fairly prominent journalist in his field here in Australia, and I asked him about the pulling of the Independent article, and for some industry insight into the possible contexts. Here is his verbatim response:

From my experience there's only one reason why quotes would need to be changed like that. That's because the management / boss of the PR person who gave the quote is not happy when they see them in print and insist that the person backtrack.

But even then you're still left speculating about why they weren't happy.

For my mind it could be one of three things.

* PR company said the initial things genuinely believing them to be true. Management / U2 have freaked out because they aren't true and the bloke making the comment isn't in the loop. Hence the change.

* PR company said the initial things knowing them to be false, as a kind of misdirection. Management / U2 have told the bloke making the comments that he needed to be more subtle about it (the best PR people act dumb to avoid lying) and told him to change it.

*PR company said the initial things knowing them to be true. Management / U2 thought that pouring cold water on the hype being generated was a bad idea and suggested that maybe the comments be more ambiguous so that people like you keep speculating about it.

There is also another possibility....

*U2 are very smart and know that their loony fans will pour over every single little subtext of everything that is said or not said. The quotes were made and then changed deliberately so people like you will whisper about why and continue to speculate about whether the release is part of the launch.

interesting to revisit this article from last February..

U2 Talks Oscars, New Manager and Where They're Headed: 'We Don't Want to Be a Heritage Act' | Billboard

If Oseary, who's based in Los Angeles, represents a significant change, it might be a shift in the center of gravity to the West Coast. "That coast is becoming the place where everything starts and happens," Edge says. "All the new tech companies, Guy is very immersed in that. We're well-placed to start integrating new opportunities to meet our fans and to do cool things."

Oseary says, "L.A. is a lot closer to Silicon Valley than New York, Dublin or London. We launched the Mandela music through our Facebook relationship. We're working with YouTube on the next video. We're working with a lot of companies on functionality and innovation. That being said, there's innovation in other places. SoundCloud's in Berlin and Spotify's from Stockholm."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom