LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want music. When it comes to how it's going to sound or whether it's going to be better than the rest of their discography, that's not important to me. However, I can't deny that my expectations rose slightly after 'Invisible'.

I do think it's unfortunate that NLOTH really had some great moments where I felt they did branch out, while still incorporating a little bit of an Unforgettable Fire sound in there. BUT it was marred by too many low quality tracks.

I know asking for high quality, branching out, AND consistency is a tall order. But that is what I hope they can pull together for us one more time.

Well wasn't that the HTDAAB thing anyway? Returning to their "punk roots"? Didn't they say Bomb was their first record and all that? I'm not sure what they'd go back there again, but I guess anything's possible. This album being influenced by the Ramones and Kraftwerk seems so six months ago.

I always took this iteration of 'returning to their roots' as more 'retracing their steps' from where they started to where they've now ended up. There was a video explaining some unheard lyrics to Invisible regarding being in a train station, and the shoot had parts that looked awfully like part of an accompanying documentary. Why they'd shoot something,Ike that and just let it drops makes no sense unless it was just a peek into whatever the 'bigger picture' is for this.

http://youtu.be/z5zTUST4Yf4

Sent from my fingertips.

I really don't know which way they'll go on this record. OL and Invisible feel very different to me. I honestly have no idea what it's going to sound like.

The the thing I'm pretty certain of, however, is that this will be U2's last record. At least as a traditional, full length, 10-12 track stand alone record. They'll probably screw around with some other stuff, a movie song here and there, an app with a few songs, a tribute song when Desmond Tutu dies, stuff like that. But absent a complete artistic rebirth when they're approaching their 60's, I just can't see them going through all this again.

The thing that I'm almost completely certain of is that this is Larry Mullen's last U2 album. I think he's already pretty much checked out. I do think Adam will probably stick around essentially as a session musician for whatever Bono and Edge decide to do.

I just want them to release something so we can all say how shitty it is and how we wish they made music like the fly and until the end of the world.

I really don't know which way they'll go on this record. OL and Invisible feel very different to me. I honestly have no idea what it's going to sound like.

The the thing I'm pretty certain of, however, is that this will be U2's last record. At least as a traditional, full length, 10-12 track stand alone record. They'll probably screw around with some other stuff, a movie song here and there, an app with a few songs, stuff like that. But absent a complete artistic rebirth when their approaching their 60's, I just can't see them going through all this again.

The thing that I'm almost completely certain of is that this is Larry Mullen's last U2 album. I think he's already essentially checked out. I do think Adam will probably stick around essentially as a session musician for whatever Bono and Edge decide to do.

Sadly, I agree with this...they'very been incorporating drum loops for quite a while now and he never seems into it.

I do think that Bono and the Edge will be creating music in some capacity for another decade or so at the least...contributing songs to movies etc or guest vocals on something...together or apart.:sad:

Watching that video above reminds me that i love invisible. When invisible came out i played it to death, repeat after repeat. I havent listened to it for a while. I liked the song alot! Is it a song that is gonna storm the charts and re invent u2 again no it isnt but its a solid u2 tune.

Yeah. Whatever happens, Invisible will kick so much ass live that I won't care

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The the thing I'm pretty certain of, however, is that this will be U2's last record. At least as a traditional, full length, 10-12 track stand alone record. They'll probably screw around with some other stuff, a movie song here and there, an app with a few songs, stuff like that. But absent a complete artistic rebirth when they're approaching their 60's, I just can't see them going through all this again.

The thing that I'm almost completely certain of is that this is Larry Mullen's last U2 album. I think he's already pretty much checked out. I do think Adam will probably stick around essentially as a session musician for whatever Bono and Edge decide to do.

I agree about Larry. Last album he was interviewed about 'taking his kids to school' & how that was what he enjoyed. I think he even talked about the end of U2.

With him doing some small acting roles & being out of the limelight I think he is done as a rock n roll star. I believe this delay is really about the band waiting for him to get on the U2 machine again. And he probably just doesn't know how or want to let 'U2' go. Has he even said anything about new songs or album?? He's been doing this since 14?? Crazy.

The '5th' member checked out (Paul Mcguniess). Guys are just in a different place now. :sad:

I agree about Larry. Last album he was interviewed about 'taking his kids to school' & how that was what he enjoyed. I think he even talked about the end of U2.

With him doing some small acting roles & being out of the limelight I think he is done as a rock n roll star. I believe this delay is really about the band waiting for him to get on the U2 machine again. And he probably just doesn't know how or want to let 'U2' go. Has he even said anything about new songs or album?? He's been doing this since 14?? Crazy.

The '5th' member checked out (Paul Mcguniess). Guys are just in a different place now. :sad:
I wouldn't be surprised if we're close to the end, and I would understand their reasons for stepping down (particularly Larry and Adam). They deserve it.

Bono & Edge, however...they're going to keep playing shows (like the Clinton Foundation performance in 2011) and do a billion other projects. I don't see those two stopping.

Leaving the stadium singing along to There is no them,There’s only us would work wouldnt it

From Hot Press...

U2's new album will not be launched as iPhone 6 tie-in

“They are not releasing their album on the iPhone, and they are not performing at the iPhone launch,” an official spokesperson has definitively confirmed.

This story seems to have been published today, after the Independent article was deleted. So take from it what you will, it may just be a repeat of the stories from yesterday, but the wording from the spokesperson, I believe, is different.

Wouldnt the spoke person say " there not involved at all" if they wasnt. The statement sort of tip toes around the rumours.

From atu2

Of course, "not performing" doesn't mean "not appearing." And "not releasing their album on the iPhone" doesn't mean they're not going to let Apple stream it exclusively via Beats Music. Or that the promotion is more tied to the single, rather than the album. Similarly, the "not aware of" comments earlier this week mean nothing -- that's a common PR way of issuing a non-denial denial. PR speak is a funny thing.

Or, in the end, U2 will really have zero involvement at all in the Apple event on Tuesday and all of the recent activity that seemed to be connected to Apple will have amounted to a really crazy coincidence. By the way, the Apple event will be streamed live online, but be sure to see the tech requirements in small print at the bottom.

Sorry if this has already been posted from Hot Press...but it seems like pretty big news:

This story seems to have been published today, after the Independent article was deleted. So take from it what you will, it may just be a repeat of the stories from yesterday, but the wording from the spokesperson, I believe, is different.

:doh: I expect hopes to be raised and dashed again like this several more times before Tuesday.

Poor Larry. Always gets a bum rap around here. Hasn't he seemed "checked out" since at least the early 90s? :D

Not that I disagree, I do believe he will be the one to pull the plug when he's done, but sheesh- I remember some fairly positive statements from him within the past year or so. Give the introvert some space, y'all.

Poor Larry. Always gets a bum rap around here. Hasn't he seemed "checked out" since at least the early 90s? :D

Not that I disagree, I do believe he will be the one to pull the plug when he's done, but sheesh- I remember some fairly positive statements from him within the past year or so. Give the introvert some space, y'all.

As the thread in EYKIW might suggest: I highly doubt him leaving would equal a pulled plug.

:doh: I expect hopes to be raised and dashed again like this several more times before Tuesday.

chico-7.jpg

It's been a roller coaster of emotions :sad:

so... this thread has gone from pandemonium to "the end of U2." It's like skewed stages of grief. And we're at, what? Acceptance? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom