LoveTown TOUR what was really like ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
You know people , this is one of the tours , that despite being close to the beginning of the 90s , i have a little bit of info about it , you may not believe it , but I've never seen a complete live video song of it , I know there was a video for AATWT , but I couldn't never catch it , and I've seen very few photos of the tour . Pretty much all I know is the sound , I've heard , great BTW with that whole great solos in Desire , One Tree Hill , but now I ask you , what was the stage like ? what was the show like , like in a visual way , If you could put some photos of it , I would appreaciate a lot , thanks for any help and time.

J_NP said:
You know people , this is one of the tours , that despite being close to the beginning of the 90s , i have a little bit of info about it , you may not believe it , but I've never seen a complete live video song of it , I know there was a video for AATWT , but I couldn't never catch it , and I've seen very few photos of the tour . Pretty much all I know is the sound , I've heard , great BTW with that whole great solos in Desire , One Tree Hill , but now I ask you , what was the stage like ? what was the show like , like in a visual way , If you could put some photos of it , I would appreaciate a lot , thanks for any help and time.

The stage was basically the same stage as the Joshua Tree tour. Except it had a screen back drop that images were projected onto at times. It also had red, white and blue type of graffiti on it, mainly on the side ramps. I'm sure there are some pictures of it if you look around.

Here is a pic I found on the net.

11870Lovetown_stage.JPG

Thanks a lot people , all of you , specially for the clips , thanks guys.

FYI...

Lovetown was a party for U2 and their fans, they were playing songs that they hadn't played in a while, like Two Hearts Beat As One...

theu2fly said:
FYI...

Lovetown was a party for U2 and their fans, they were playing songs that they hadn't played in a while, like Two Hearts Beat As One...

Which was only played one time on the Lovetown tour.

Actually, the Lovetown tour was to make up for the cancelled Joshua Tree Australian/Japan dates and they tacked some Europe shows onto the end. Otherwise I dont think that tour would have happened. The next tour would have been Zoo. The band themselves appear to have not actually enjoyed this tour that much. Larry has commented before that it was one of the worst times he has had on tour. He felt like they were becoming a live jukebox of hits.

That being said its one of my favorite tours as far as the setlist and performances. So I guess it goes to show the fan perspective can be completely different from the bands on a tour or shows. :shrug:

Last edited:
Shag On A Rock said:
Even though All Along the Watchtower is one of fav songs I don't have any memories of it from Lovetown. How odd. I do recall Hawkmoon and the flashing red lights though. :drool:

The only tour I regret missing.

J_NP said:

I attended one show on the Lovetown Tour and the band, musically, were in great form. Although they played a lot of 'hits' it still goes down as probably my favorite U2 set list for a show I was at. I would also say it was a perfect way for the band to sign off that stage of their career before they moved into the 'Zoo' era onwards.

Thanks to the guys who have posted youtube links on here too. I had the entire Australian Lovetown documentary on video somewhere - christ knows where that is now, so if anyone can point me in the direction of where I may be able to pick that up, I'd be really grateful. I also had the hour or so long Rattle & Hum documentary that was shown on tv and have been unable to locate that either, so if anyone can point me in the direction of that one also, I'd love them forever!!

I've heard they re-used the actual physical arena stage from 87/89 tours in 2001. it's custom and was in Dublin u2 storage unit for about a decade(I imagine it folds up)

u2fp

timothius said:
I know somone who would've loved this thread. :sad: :wink:
yes.....:(

Anyways, I looooovvveeddd this tour, and it's interesting that U2 now claim they hated it, cos I saw them at their best on the first show they did after Bono regained his voice. He was on fire and you could tell he hated not being able to perform. He was like a demon unleashed :drool: Ah memories......:wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

yes.....:(

Anyways, I looooovvveeddd this tour, and it's interesting that U2 now claim they hated it, cos I saw them at their best on the first show they did after Bono regained his voice. He was on fire and you could tell he hated not being able to perform. He was like a demon unleashed :drool: Ah memories......:wink:

I wouldnt say they hated it. I think it was one of their less enjoyable tours based on alot of things. Its not something they are just now claiming either. The Larry interview I'm talking about was done during the tour.

Blue Room said:

Actually, the Lovetown tour was to make up for the cancelled Joshua Tree Australian/Japan dates.

So would that make these upcoming rescheduled shows Lovetown II? :wink: (Still figuring out what to call it - Vertigo Leg 4, Leg 4b, Leg 5, Arm and a Leg... :) )

Originally posted by Blue Room The band themselves appear to have not actually enjoyed this tour that much. Larry has commented before that it was one of the worst times he has had on tour. He felt like they were becoming a live jukebox of hits.

Funny you should say that - My recollection is really hazy (16 years ago) but during the last Sydney show (which was the last Australasian date) there was an incident which I found really strage. During 40 someone (pretty sure it was Bono) made some sarcastic comment I think towards Adam. Can't remember exactly what it was although I think it was something about a leather jacket??? Anyway I left the show with a feeling all wasn't well...

I saw a few of the shows on that tour and they were awesome gigs. Very laid back and way cool (especially with BBK).

You should listen to the Love Town Rotterdam bootlegs... Last dates of the tour, special feeling (the end of an era)...

Maquaman said:

Anyway I left the show with a feeling all wasn't well...

Bono said he started writing the songs that became Achtung Baby while in Sydney for those shows. I say, whatever mood he was in, a big "fuck yes" to that!

imo, Bono's voice hit it's peak on that tour. I listened to some shows that have just surfaced from Melbourne on u2torrents last night and there's a Streets intro with Heartland over the top! Also, the crowd just seems mental!

Hawkmoon=best opening song ever.

Why can't they do stuff like that now. Each night was different.

I was at two Love Town shows Amsterdam 12-18-89 and Rotterdam 01-10-90.

In Amsterdam Bono lost his voice and the two remaining shows in Amsterdam got cancelled.
The band would return early Jan 1990 to make up for the cancelled shows.

Amsterdam was sad for Bono but cool for everyone else I think?
The band almost played an entire set expect for the B.B. King encore.
Hawkmoon 269 was such a cool opener.
The only time I saw the HM269 , Unf.Fire and God Part 2 live in person.

Rotterdam ( last show ) was out of this world.
The last time before the big change of Zoo TV.
The set was super , Out Of Control and 11 O`Clock Tick Tock got played , the band was on fire that night.
Bono`s voice was in top form.( quite the oposite of the Amsterdam gig )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Forgot to mention , Edge singing and playing Van Diemen`s land was:drool:

chrissybaby said:
imo, Bono's voice hit it's peak on that tour.
It depends what you mean by 'hitting its peak'. He has great range, but he oversang everything. He learned the art of subtlety for ZooTV, either by choice or by necessity as it became more nasal.

chrissybaby said:
imo, Bono's voice hit it's peak on that tour. I listened to some shows that have just surfaced from Melbourne on u2torrents last night and there's a Streets intro with Heartland over the top! Also, the crowd just seems mental!

Hawkmoon=best opening song ever.

Why can't they do stuff like that now. Each night was different.

The new sources on u2torrents are great! I've been "upgrading" some of the shows I had. I still think the second half of the second leg shows were the best.

Canadiens1160 said:
It depends what you mean by 'hitting its peak'. He has great range, but he oversang everything. He learned the art of subtlety for ZooTV, either by choice or by necessity as it became more nasal.

a agree that his singing was a bit affected and over-dramatic but he has never sounded so free with his range. I feel uncomfortable when i hear him sometimes now, even though he sings great on Miss Sarajevo for instance, his voice still sounds rough.

Mauwer said:
I was at two Love Town shows Amsterdam 12-18-89 and Rotterdam 01-10-90.

In Amsterdam Bono lost his voice and the two remaining shows in Amsterdam got cancelled.
The band would return early Jan 1990 to make up for the cancelled shows.

Amsterdam was sad for Bono but cool for everyone else I think?
The band almost played an entire set expect for the B.B. King encore.
Hawkmoon 269 was such a cool opener.
The only time I saw the HM269 , Unf.Fire and God Part 2 live in person.

Rotterdam ( last show ) was out of this world.
The last time before the big change of Zoo TV.
The set was super , Out Of Control and 11 O`Clock Tick Tock got played , the band was on fire that night.
Bono`s voice was in top form.( quite the oposite of the Amsterdam gig )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Forgot to mention , Edge singing and playing Van Diemen`s land was:drool:

euhm....do you have audio of rotterdam?
I would really really want that....

een bandje is ook goed :)))

Back
Top Bottom