Lovetown Tour and ZooTV Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO zooTV was better than lovetown

sure lovetown had more varied setlists but the 'stale' zooTV setlist was perfect and didnt need change. I prefer the zootv songs and think it was this tour where Bono's voice reached its peak.

The four Lovetown Dublin shows are arguably the highest point U2 ever hit. It's hard for me to say that, considering how absolutely on fire they were during the first leg, but those four shows had nearly everything. Bono's voice, despite the troubles earlier in the tour, was absolutely soaring - I have never heard him sing better than on 26 December 1989. The Resolution And Independence intro to Streets doesn't even sound like him!

His voice came to me was like a stream
Scarce heard; nor word from word could I divide;
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream
Sam Beckett dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett dreamt of other lands
Of another home, of another home
Where the streets have no name!
Take me! TAKE ME!

And then One Tree Hill, with the improvised solo and the verse from nowhere - you'd never catch that on ZooTV, or any other tour for that matter. That one single performance is, I think, U2's greatest ever.

But oh goodness, have you seen the Channel 10 footage from 27 September 1989 in Sydney? That is some amazing stuff, from the slide intro to Hawkmoon 269, through to the cameras running on stage during Desire and "this is THE EDGE!" shredding right in front of them. A glorious sight to behold. :drool:

And to add to the Lovetown gushing, All Along The Watchtower / In God's Country (snippet). Pure genius.

Right at the end:

Desert sky, dream beneath a desert sky
The rivers run but soon run dry
We need new dreams, we need new dreams
Tonight, tonight, tonight, tonight!

That also worked sensationally as an intro to Where The Streets Have No Name.

Axver said:
But oh goodness, have you seen the Channel 10 footage from 27 September 1989 in Sydney? That is some amazing stuff, from the slide intro to Hawkmoon 269, through to the cameras running on stage during Desire and "this is THE EDGE!" shredding right in front of them. A glorious sight to behold. :drool:

Is that the Lowenstein video you're talking about? Is this something different, which I HAVEN'T seen? :grumpy:

And as for the comment that U2 were bored on the Lovetown tour, I saw them play their first concert after they had to cancel when Bono lost his voice. Bono was like a wild animal unleashed that night, he was so glad to be back performing. I will never see a performance to top that night, I think.

blueeyedgirl said:

Is that the Lowenstein video you're talking about? Is this something different, which I HAVEN'T seen? :grumpy:

Lowenstein video? I know of only two proshot videos from Lovetown:

- 27 September 1989, Sydney, Channel 10 news, Hawkmoon 269/Desire/Watchtower and a bit of a couple of others (Angel and Pride, I think)
- 18 November 1989, Sydney, the half-hour documentary with stuff like Hawkmoon 269, Desire, Watchtower, God Part II, AIWIY.

Lowenstein video has got the Nov show, Hawkmoon, God Part II etc, then in between lots of shots of Kings Cross, Alannah Hill (in a lovely rose patterned dress) interviewing people, and U2 about the difference between love and sex.

Oh and shots of dolphins.:huh:

i would be hardpressed to find ANY shows EVER that top the shows at point depot from the lovetown tour...as i said earlier on in this thread, Bono's voice was at its best ever during this tour, especially these concerts (the 26th was unimaginable)...can ANYONE make a compelling argument against this??

rock888nwo said:
i would be hardpressed to find ANY shows EVER that top the shows at point depot from the lovetown tour...as i said earlier on in this thread, Bono's voice was at its best ever during this tour, especially these concerts (the 26th was unimaginable)...can ANYONE make a compelling argument against this??

No. There is no argument against it.

blueeyedgirl said:
Lowenstein video has got the Nov show, Hawkmoon, God Part II etc, then in between lots of shots of Kings Cross, Alannah Hill (in a lovely rose patterned dress) interviewing people, and U2 about the difference between love and sex.

Oh and shots of dolphins.:huh:

Right, yeah, I've got that one.

Interviewer: Edge, are you a virgin?
Edge: Of course I am!
Interviewer: Then how come you have kids?

:lmao:

I adore the Love Town shows... however, I'm very glad there was a change.

One reason Love Town stands out so is Bono's voice. Clearly this was the most powerful, most operatic, most dynamic he's ever sounded. Listening to Love Town was not only Bono at his best, but perhaps the best male rock vocal - period! He was able to cover all ranges, all emotions! However, his vocal acrobatics came with a HUGE price. U2 had to cancel shows because Bono's voice often failed (due to that ridiculous range he was showcasing). Also, the operatic voice - while great to hear in moderation - became a bit too much. For example, I love hearing it now and then on this current tour - Bono uses that voice well. But back on Love Town, every song had his operatic wailing! It was a case of "too much of a good thing". Then there was the preaching... ugh... And lastly, I wouldn't want Bono in the 90's or in the 00's to look or sound like that guy again. Little silly vests, long greasy hair, pants tucked into boots... it was fun then, but now, uh... :uhoh:

The second reason Love Town stood out was because The Edge really ripped up the 80's songs. Finally some of the JT-era songs came to life during the Love Town tour. It was great fun hearing him just really rock out and have these outstanding solos - something that Edge really hasn't done much before or after.

The third reason Love Town was fun was hearing B.B. King. This collaboration, along with the Voices of Freedom, was unique in the U2 touring world. However, like many U2 fans, I prefer my U2 to be just that - U2, not a group of others on stage. A guest here and there is fantastic. But nightly collaborations, as was done with King, seems too contrived and planned. Talk about the lack of spontaneity. :rolleyes: I don't mean this with any disrespect to the always outstanding B.B. King, but I'm just glad U2 doesn't do this any more.

The ZOO TV Bono changed his vocal style, but this was done for many reasons. First, if Bono continued to sing as he was doing on Love Town, there wouldn't be a ZOO TV tour. I don't think his voice would last. JT and R&H had Bono wailing away, but those moments were few and far between on AB. Of course, the more toned down vocals on AB also meant less opera-style vocals on ZOO TV as well. Consequently, an operatic Bono would not work with ZOO TV at all. All of this said, Bono's vocals on ZOO TV were fantastic. He was still strong and powerful, and hit outstanding falsettos (his falsetto was the best of his career on this tour hitting notes in the stratosphere) while portraying a vastly different side to his personality. U2 had to change, and Bono led the way.

Additionally, Edge seemed to continue his style of just ripping songs on ZOO TV. Maybe his solos were less, but he made many of the new songs shine immediately in concert. Songs such as "Mysterious Ways", 'The Fly" and "Until the End of the World" were brilliant. Furthermore, U2 didn't appear just to be "jamming" like they did on Love Town. U2 sounded fresh, yet powerful and professional - and this is due to both Edge and the brilliant rhythm section.

The apparent dynamic set-list of Love Town is fun, but really, for the most part, it was just order changes, with perhaps a few token new songs thrown in here and there. Mixing up the order isn't really mixing up the set-list, IMO. ZOO TV, by the very nature of the tour, had to be more static due to the video connection. I realize that some fans hated this aspect, but it seems to me that U2 have always worked toward finding a perfect set-list, which they vary only when they do three or four nights at a particulare venue. This was true way back when and remains true today.

So while both tours were great, I actually give the nod to ZOO TV. It's fun to "visit" Love Town, but it's like a good memory - one you are happy to have, but wouldn't want to repeat.

Axver said:

I am an adult. It's not as if age is of any relevance here anyway, though. Find a more sensible argument.

Work of art? :lol: Work of show-off-ery, more like it. Oooh, big fancy stage. Last time I checked, music was about the audio, not about the visuals.

There's some truth to that, but for a tour to be truely great, it's gotta have the visuals too. They hung friggen trabaants from the rafters and used their headlights as spotlights on the crowd for crying out loud! A WORK OF ART. ZooTV created its own little world, like Popmart after it did too. I get the feeling those who saw ZooTV in person may well have forgotten they were in a stadium for a bit.

This is not to say that Lovetown isn't good, it's GREAT, but ZooTV and Popmart just took it to another level.

My main criticism of Zoo was not the music, or the stage or the whole Fly thing, (I luuuuuuurrrrvvveeeed all that :drool: ), it was the between-song Bono banter. Now that seemed so scripted and overdone. I know Bono is too verbose for his own good anyway :wink: but hearing him say the same crap was what got up my nose. You just felt like shouting "just shut up and sing" :ohmy:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom