Love With Or Without You ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
A Tribute To WOWY EP

1. The audio of Bono?s reflections on WOWY (?it whispers its way into the world?) and The Edge talking about and playing along with it in Classic Album?s The Making Of The Joshua Tree
2. The Edge?s instrumental version of WOWY with Wyclef Jean in Dublin / 2002
3. The version of WOWY from the Rattle And Hum DVD (we?ll shine like stars in the summer night.?)
4. The version of WOWY from Rocks Hottest Ticket boot / Chicago April 1987 which includes the Joy Division snippet ?love will tear us apart?
5. A version from the ZOOTV tour which includes the often used intro by Bono ?Let?s go Vegas ? Let?s get married ? at least for a little while.?
6. Any other unique versions ? or exceptional ones from the PopMart Tour or the Elevation Tour ?

Elevation - 31 May Buffalo - interesting ending (also the rehearsal version from 22 March is lovely).

Other than that, any version with "shine like stars".

The Rattle and Hum performance is phenomenal. I have a recording from Dublin in 1998 that used the same song structure (you know how there are always variations), and it was a bit more sentimental and not quite as overtly powerful. I have a little bit of pride in saying that my favorite version of WOWY was performed just a few miles from me, in Sun Devil Stadium. That rendition was one of U2's greatest moments, in my opinion. I know there will be others that say it was just a pretty standard version of it for the time, but there's just something about it that makes it special.

It's a great song when done right. I'm actually not all that fond of the album version, and I think it needs a live setting to really come to life.

Last edited:
The Dublin 1993 version was cool. I like how it opens with,"Regrets, I've had a few".

Also, Bercy (Paris?) 1992 is also great. It has a super-extended solo in the end , longer than the typical "stars" ending. Worth downloading!

:yes: My favorite song - of anything. Today in Biblical Theology class *gag* I was bored and wrote out the lyrics to WOWY....INCLUDING the stars verse.

*edited b/c I forgot to say my favorite version - Rattle and Hum.

AchtungJedi said:
The Rattle and Hum performance is phenomenal. I have a recording from Dublin in 1998 that used the same song structure (you know how there are always variations), and it was a bit more sentimental and not quite as overtly powerful. I have a little bit of pride in saying that my favorite version of WOWY was performed just a few miles from me, in Sun Devil Stadium. That rendition was one of U2's greatest moments, in my opinion. I know there will be others that say it was just a pretty standard version of it for the time, but there's just something about it that makes it special.

It's a great song when done right. I'm actually not all that fond of the album version, and I think it needs a live setting to really come to life.

Right on! I've heard many people say there are better versions, but I haven't heard any that can even compare.

i wish the rattle and hum version was on the cd too. i've rewound that part of the movie to watch it over and over just to hear the song

I have that version on a CD... I'm listening to it right now. :cute: Unfortunately I don't have a CD burner. :tsk: Maybe somebody else has it and could help you guys out?

i have it, it's on a tape...

everything good is on a tape when i don't have batteries for the tape player

One of my fav versions of WOWY is from Elevation Paris 21/07 show. Apart from including the "Stars" bit (which is always a bonus) the audience are just fantastic on this version. IMHO its a real "sends shivers thro ya" version :)

If I had to pick versions from most famous shows, I'd say Rock's hottest Ticket, alone for incredible voice from Bono puts out.

I've always been very fond of the Rocks Hottest Ticket Chicago 87 version..not as smooth and carefully executed as the Rattle and Hum version but Bono really throws himself at the song..also makes you feel that "..love will tear as apart.." is as much a part of the song in the live setting as .."we'll shine like stars" has become..works beautifully

one of my classmates had a discman at school the other day...he had the wowy version that says "shine like stars..." in the end.
bono's voice truly sounded the best i've ever heard it. It is very deep and clear. The whole sound of it is incredible. I heard the song twice even though im already bored of the album version, i was so blown away by it.

While that could technically be any number of renditions, the survey says it's probably the Rattle and Hum version.

One of U2 best songs ever. It was a little sad to hear some fans knocking it on the Elevation Tour. All of the reason mentioned in the original post where right on. Talk to any fan who remembers hearing 'With or Without You' for the very first time, especially if you were a fan in 1987, and they will tell you just how special of a song WOWY will always be to them.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom