Love is Blindness ( is it addicting?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodysunday972

War Child
Sounds like a silly question but It makes me wonder especially Edge's guitar rifts which are almost hypnotic..... I found myself asking this question after listening to AB today.

Great song, one of their best closers ever. Always listen to the live version though on ZOOTV, Edge's solos :drool:

the pulsating bass in the song is incredibly hypnotic..

everytime I get to the end of AB I tend to space out, stare and bob my head..

IMO by far the best closer, although 40 is definitley up there too

And that deadpan look on The Edge's face while he's playing. It ironically adds more emotion to the song; specially when it's inspired by his divorce. I can't think of a more daunting and desolate feeling as the last verse:

Love is drowning
In a deep well
All the secrets
And no one to tell

I always thought the song was about the terrorism in Ireland. it makes more sense to me this way, at least.

Listening to Achtung alone, lights out in headphones is usually a very trippy experience...............

Saturnine said:
I always thought the song was about the terrorism in Ireland. it makes more sense to me this way, at least.

Yeah, it's almost like foreshadowing what happened at Omagh what Bono would later focus on :(

Which makes the song all that much more haunting.

Very addicting. Great song, best album closer ever. And live, Edge's solo is just to die for. :drool:

korczykp said:
I'd also venture to say this is probably their most haunting song as well...

Mmhm. Agree wholeheartedly with that one.

I remember going through a period last year where I just played Achtung Baby over and over and over again-not a day went by during that time where I didn't play it-and I remember one night I was listening to it and "Love Is Blindness" came on and I just kind of went into a trance. That rarely ever happens to me during any song, be it U2-related or not. That moment really did something for me regarding the song. I'd always loved the song, but that just really clinched it for me. Easily one of my favorite U2 songs of all time-as stated, it's so haunting, the music is just gorgeous, and I love the lyrics and the way it's sung...just all around perfect.

Angela

Palace_Hero said:
It definately alludes to terrorism in Norther Ireland.

"In a parked car, in a crowded street, you see your love, made complete"

What else can that mean, but a bombing?
Yeah, and the guitar solos always struck me as reminiscient of bombs going off.

Even reading the lyrics is enough to bring tears to my eyes sometimes.
I can't think of a more passionate/ emotional/ hypnotic/ addictive song by anyone in history.

This song has never been a real favourite of mine but is a top example of why Achtung is the best album ever. It used to be the only track I didn't like, and I thought the organs were ugly.

However as I've matured and can understand songs better, aswell as giving the song a proper chance, I now see the greatness. It is the execution of a musical idea and theme at it's best. Like I say, not an all time favourite, but an example of why Achtung is because of LIB's pure depth, both in song and to the album.

According to Bono...

Love Is Blindness was wrote during the Rattle and Hum period.
It portrays love at the end of it's tether.
Deceit, betrayal and infidelity.
It also mimics the atmosphere when making Achtung Baby when the band, their families and their relationships were all feeling the strain.
But in the end it's about the dark side of love - a theme Bono tends to revisit again and again.

Not political at all, but the trouble with politics is that people can see something that isn't there.

Well, it can mean a lot.

"Love is Blindness" goes with the "cold steel, fingers too numb to feel etc etc" as, basically, the opposite of "Love is sunshine and flowers and puppy dogs". For a lot of people, a lot of the time, love is a dark, hurtful, horrible thing. The blindness is the 'living a life in darkness'.

"Love is Blindness" could also be loving something so much that you are blind to the truth. For example, loving your country, your religion, any belief so much that you become disillusioned and blind to what your actions truly are eg terrorism as an extreme example, but it could also be something smaller, closer to home. Blind to an abusive partner for example.

In the end they can both fit together.

Love Is Blindness is an extraordinary song. Beautiful, heartbreaking. Edge's guitar part through the song is the best prayer ever written.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom