Lousy Photos in Liner Note Booklet? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #21
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:57 AM
I actually think this is better than what they put out in the nineties. The Achtung booklet is bloody awful, especially the cover. I hide my copy of that.

Though at the end of the day, I don't think anyone really cares about booklets. To suggest this will impact the classic status of the album is completely absurd. Most people I know don't even look at booklets unless they're really into a band. I've only looked at U2 booklets; for all other bands, I completely ignore them.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I've only looked at U2 booklets; for all other bands, I completely ignore them.
Really? Wow. I guess that I just look at the concept of an album differently, you know? It's not a big deal, but when I analyze an album (while I OBVIOUSLY spend the VAST majority of my effort on the music), I look at the WHOLE thing: the music, the lyrics, the performance, the vocals, the liner notes, the cover, etc. To me, it's the whole shebang, so to speak.

Also: I love the cover for Achtung Baby!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha. I really think that some of the photos are brilliant and that all of them are pretty damn interesting and well-composed. It just...feels right. It feels like the album, to me. When I saw that cover so many years ago I already knew what the album was like. It told me everything I had to know. I think I'm in the minority, though...isnt' that cover almost universally reviled by fans? I hope I'm wrong on this one...

Old 12-03-2004, 04:42 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I said i'd not post here again but here is a quote from Bono, from u2.com, about the whole new album "experience" thing i was saying here (and if you shout... agrees) and was bashed for saying that a great cover/booklet can help make a classic album.

Come on now, you can bash Bono... But...not really, you ppl won't bash Bono... He's not the easy target is he?

"The idea, says Bono, is that in the age of the download, the CD itself can still remain a little bit apart, a bit special - like the way a Beatles LP was.

'It's trying to make the CD a more important object, because when the Beatles put out Sergeant Pepper, it wasn't just a listening experience, it was a thing you held in your hands and opened - gatefold - and it had all these characters in it. That kind of inspired us to do something special with the packaging (of the new record) - so it's not for everybody but for the ones who get to it I hope they enjoy it.'

Shame on U2 Bono, apart from your good will... You didn't succeeded in making a great art work for HTDAAB mate.

I say the art for AB, Zooropa and Pop are miles ahead of the "art"?? work from those last 2 albums. They are lazy, uninspiring and boring. It's like U2's laughing at our face so bad it is.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:33 AM   #24
The Fly

I remember reading in Until The End of The World that Corbijn wanted to use a single image for the Acthung Baby cover, but the band was against it. After lengthy discussion, instead of choosing just one image, they plastered the cover with all the photos that they were choosing from. If my memory serves me, Corbijn was not happy about the decision.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #25
War Child

Who cares if Corbijn was happy with it or not?

Achtung is their best CD booklet to date, followed by Zooropa. If the new album is anything like what Corbij is happy with, may we be evermore blessed with his scowl.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 06:57 PM
AB is hands down the coolest album art I have ever seen. It totally fits tyhe music. Like someone else said, you can tell what the music will be like just by looking at the album art. POP was very good in this same way as well.

The new cover is great except for the cover (why that photo?). I love the images inside. Has kind of an apocolyptic feel to it. I am not sure it fits the music well though.

ATYCLBs artwork bored me to death...kind of like the music. So with that one at least the art fit with the music.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2_Guy
I said i'd not post here again but here is a quote from Bono, from u2.com, about the whole new album "experience" thing i was saying here (and if you shout... agrees) and was bashed for saying that a great cover/booklet can help make a classic album.

I disagree. A cover/booklet does not make a classic album.

JT had a very simple cover/booklet pictures but it didn't make the album what it is.

Speaking of Corbijn, I can't remember the last time he only provided 2 pics apart from the cover for U2.
(OK Zooropa doesn't count because it had no band shots and it used the tour images)
Not that I don't like the computery feel of 8mm pics, it's just...interesting.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Re: Lousy Photos in Liner Note Booklet?

Quote:
Originally posted by NHChris
I suppose someone here will chime in and claim that horribly grainy black-and-white photos of the band--clipped from VIDEO footage no less!--is somehow a 'cool' and 'artistic' thing.

I disagree.

That booklet is certainly nothing to crow about, mostly because of the photography. That there's no color is understandable: 4-color printing is expensive. I do not at all understand why grainy pictures from 8mm video footage was 'THE' thing to do here.

How many people here really, really LIKE the photography in the book and agree that it was handled properly? I know U2 pores over details like T-shirt designs and stuff before signing off on them. Indeed, the band probably pored over the booklet design as well. And that has me scratching my head.

Good thing the CD itself is, in my view, the most listenable of all their repertoire.

Its obviously pointless to discuss ART with someone who calls a piece of artwork a "cool artistic thing" sarcastically. So I won't. Too bad because I do this kind of work and I had some really great thoughts about it. Later....
Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The photos and booklet in general for this album are DISGRACE!!!! I was just flipping through the POP booklet last night, reading the amazing lyrics and noticed how completely awesome the photography and printing and layout is. Really very cool in all aspects. I opened the flimsy little booklet for this album only to find blurry smudges that look like something I might have taken with a $5.00 110 camera when I was eight years old. Only much WORSE!!!

With piracy being a problem, I would think that making quality artwork would be a priority to get people to the stores to buy the real thing.

Get it right next time guys.

P.S. - The cover art may not MAKE an album a classic, but it does help to complete the whole classic package. Think about it. the cover of the JT is iconic, as is Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt. Pepper, Zepplin IV, Nevermind, etc...
Old 12-04-2004, 12:06 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Achtung Baby: BEST--PHOTOS--EVER. I could go on and on about this. The one with Bono blowing out the smoke, the black & white w/ sleeveless Bono, the widescreen Bono & Larry at the cars, The FLY, the band in DRAG photos!!! Say what you want, but U2 will NEVER be cooler than they were in 1991. Maybe people don't place a lot of importance on this stuff, but as great as Achtung Baby was to listen to, it was poring over that booklet that probably made me truly love the band. There was something to chew on. Such reckless abandon...you really felt that the recording of the record was an adventure, not popping over to "HQ" and then a vaykay session in the South of France. This new album is great, but I'd love to see them record somewhere exotic and see what happens. Jamaica, maybe?

It's a little unfair to criticize the Bomb booklet without exception though, because the collector's book really is a piece of work that doesn't seem tossed off. There's a lot of heart in there, and stuff that really makes you think. It's not often that you get a peek into the doodlings and musings of the band members. Plus, Larry painting?! That's worth $30 right there. Perhaps the booklet for the regular version should have featured little-revealing close-ups of the book's artwork. A little tease for those that might want to see more.

One last, scary possibility is that they left the good Corbijn photos out of the booklet so they could sell more 2005 calendars. It just came to my head! Don't shoot!

laz
Old 12-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Lazarus, are you Laz from wire, J's adversary Laz?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

I am he, risen from the dead. What made me sign up here finally was reading too many of J's trolling posts.

The batte continues...

laz
Old 12-04-2004, 03:53 PM   #33
Babyface

Local Time: 03:57 AM
I have to agree about booklet art. It's a bit lousy indeed and looks like something made in a hurry. It's miles behind "Achtung Baby" - that CD had the best booklet in the history of record industry (at least out of these CDs that I've seen
Old 12-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I don't like it. They always seem to distort themselves in some way on the cover or in the booklet, from blurry grainy B&W of most of the albums to the dayglo of Pop. I don't know why, they must be insecure about their true appearance and think they are not hot. They are wrong.
I don't think that being secure about their appearance or not thinking they're "hot" has anythig to do with it, but that's just me...
Old 12-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #35
War Child

I don't mind the cover, but the booklet is lousey, compared to the beautiful photos on the calendar. I wish they would re-do it. Of course, it doesn't make or break the album , yet it would be nice to have some nice pictures to complement such a nice album.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:51 AM   #36
musicidalist

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I actually think this is better than what they put out in the nineties. The Achtung booklet is bloody awful, especially the cover. I hide my copy of that.
Well, if you ever need to get rid of it I am game...

I lost my copy of it at the Brooklyn show. Took it with me just in case I was able to get autographs and since it is my favorite record, cover etc I had to take it. I am going to have to buy a CD off of ebay just to get the art work back though it won't be the same. That was MY cover for MY CD
Old 12-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:57 PM
liek ogm i hait da ablum art lol!Q!!/// its so gay lol!!111 wut if i hait da albm 2 lol!!111//we

Well, okay, I agree that it's rather crappy (though I LOVE the photo on the last two pages...that photo should have been on the cover imo) but I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of it. For me, the booklets and such are just an added bonus... I let the music speak for itself. Though I do agree that album covers are influencial... everyone knows the cover for The Joshua Tree. However I like the cover for How to Dismantle, mainly because it's visually simple and visually appealing, with the red lines and such. Achtung Baby on the other hand was very chaotic and dark...and brilliant. I agree, that booklet is great. Pop has a great booklet too... I do wish U2 would have spent more time on the HTDAAB booklet, but then again I don't really care that much. They spent all their time on the music and that's cool by me...the music and that odd book of drawings I swear reading that thing gave me a headache...I love it but it takes some time to decipher some of the handwriting!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #38
The Fly

yeah, totally lo-fi. it's on purpose. just like the website probably.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:15 PM   #39
Refugee

Lousy pictures in the book and the complete collection being released in a lossy format. To keep this theme going I think that all official photos and press shots taken at concerts should be taken with cell phone cams and tapers should record shows with cassette recorders with a built in mic.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:03 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:57 PM
i have to agree that the booklet is kind of disappointing, especially when compared to the rest. i personally the collector's edition book, and most importantly the music. now we just have to hope that the upcoming tour will make up for the lousy booklet...