Lots of people buying the album today... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Lots of people buying the album today...

I was in Costco today and saw 4 separate people in the lines buying HTDAAB.

Then I went to Best Buy to pick up my copy, and saw at least 5 other folks in line purchasing the album.

Very encouraging from a sales standpoint!!!

I don't think there was this big of a rush or hype with ATYCLB...seems back then the band had to come out of obscurity and work their way back to the spotlight. I don't think there was as much of a mad rush to purchase the album as there is with HTDAAB.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 AM
When I went to Tower Records last night at 11:45pm for the pre-midnight sale, I was a bit disappointed in the number of cars in the lot. It was packed for ATYCLB. As I was walking in, a few people were walking out with the album already.

They apparently started selling it at 10pm (to coincide with midnight Easter time). I actually had to go to the back stands to get a copy. The two front displays were empty but for a handful of the regular CDs. I picked up my deluxe version along with 6 other fans buying multiple copies.

This morning, I went to Best Buy to buy the collector's and I swear, every single person in line had U2 CDs in their hands. We all had the same smirk of excitement waiting for our turn to pay.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:42 AM
At Circuit City today I witnessed 5 different purchases too. Very cool.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #4
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:42 AM
We were at Target this morning when the doors opened at 8 and there was good sized crowd waiting to get in. A few were there for Harry Potter, a few for Seinfeld but most for U2.

The three people in line in front of us at the check out were buying the collector's edition of HTDAAB as were 2 people at the next register over

They had to re-stock the collector's edition just in the few minutes we were there.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 06:42 AM
I bought the regular and collectors editons at Target at 8 am this morning. There were about dozen people waiting outside. I was the only one there for U2. When they opened, they hadn't put the new releases on the sheleves yet. They were still boxed up in a shopping cart ready to be shelved. I got a copy of the regular edition, and asked a clerk for the collector's edition. She had to go back into the stock room to find one. I went back later this afternoon and it looked like they had sold several copies. I guess I was the only early bird!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Was there at 9:00a.m. PST with about 10-15 other people. I saw at least 5 of those people buy HTDAAB, along with 3 of us who bought the Deluxe Version.

A friend of mine from Tennessee of all places said that 430 + copies had already flown of the shelves of one Tower Records in Nashville....hmmm???
Old 11-23-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Refugee

Re: Lots of people buying the album today...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic
I was in Costco today and saw 4 separate people in the lines buying HTDAAB.

Then I went to Best Buy to pick up my copy, and saw at least 5 other folks in line purchasing the album.

Very encouraging from a sales standpoint!!!

I don't think there was this big of a rush or hype with ATYCLB...seems back then the band had to come out of obscurity and work their way back to the spotlight. I don't think there was as much of a mad rush to purchase the album as there is with HTDAAB.
U2 and obsurity hehehe, don't fit in the same sentence surely.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #8
The Fly

I bought the new album at Tower Records in Dallas last night, and I swear there had to have been close to 100 people there. The line wrapped from the back of the store, around the magazines and approached the front.

And they even stopped playing the album over the PA system, per more than one fan's (myself included) request.

james
Old 11-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #9
Refugee

The collector's editions were sold out at Best Buy. I saw people in line and coming out of the store who had bought it.

I'm betting a lot of copies are being sold this week. (probably 670,000)
Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
The Fly

I live in Tennessee too,though a small no wheresville place and too my surprise I went to Sam Goody and the display had like 1/3 left by the time I got there, I got 1 of the 3 remaining limited edition sets,One of those being stuck to a side of the display you had to lean all the way around to see what was on the side so someone hid it there lol. I will probably go back tomorrow and buy at least 2 more copies of the cd for gifts.
Of course I could not make it out the door without opening it up, I had downloaded about half the songs but they sounded so much better on the cd. Love and peace or else was instant love as I had not heard it. I also was happy to see fast cars on there from seeing so much discussion here at interference.
So far my favorites are Yahweh,Sometimes,Original, A man and a woman,and now Love and Peace.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #11
Babyface

I was at a Best Buy in Iowa a couple of minutes after open and saw at least 15 people buying the album. When I returned for lunch there was a good portion of the albums gone, including all of the collectors additions. I love the Temple Bar Edit of Vertigo and the book but was disappointed there was no sleeve with the lyrics with the CD. Very happy with the songs! Way to go boys!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

At the store I went to last night, there were four others who had shown up to get it.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #13
War Child

I was alone at Tower, but the display was definitely almost empty.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #14
New Yorker

I wonder if this is how Eminem's albums flew off the shelves...
Old 11-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ADecentMelody

This morning, I went to Best Buy to buy the collector's and I swear, every single person in line had U2 CDs in their hands. We all had the same smirk of excitement waiting for our turn to pay.
That's so cool glad to hear everyone's buying it...after school I walked over to Indy CD & Vinyl, a cool little record store, to buy my copy. This lady was there asking the worker if that was the only version of the album they had (they had the special edition CD + DVD one). He said yes and she bought it (along with the Electrical Storm single, I noticed), and then I snatched the last copy... I think it's really cool that even in a little neighborhood record store there were multiple people that went to buy the A-Bomb.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Yay!

I posted bout my experience in another thread....my fingers are tired!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
Babyface

i got the special edition for $26 bucks at best buy! what a steal! and it has FAST CARS on it???????? i thought it was on the import only???????
Old 11-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:42 AM
I was at Tower on Sunset Blvd. last night at midnight and there were 125+ people in line. From what I could tell most people were buying U2, followed by Gwen Stefani and then the Nirvana box set. I waited more than 45 mins in line.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I went at about 10 am to Best Buy in Orlando. It looked not so good here. Only about 40 albums missing out of probably about 300 or so in the display. Had to ask where the special edition was and they had to dig under the counter and look around for a while to get it. Idiots. Anyway, glad to hear it's doing well elsewhere.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:41 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 04:42 AM
I was at Tower Records near the space needle in Seattle at midnight. Well over 100 people there. I thought for sure that they were there to buy Nirvana but a large majority of the people I spoke to and witnessed buying cds were going for U2.
I bought both of course...