loquacious affirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey

The Fly
Prior to this, not some time ago, I posted my reflections on how I’ve resolutely felt that U2 are so much more than just a great musical engine, but real life heroes (in my life). I suppose, what I was largely looking to sample was whether there were people out there who saw them in a similar light. I’m not exactly in a U2 neighborhood (currently residing in Dubai, UAE), and I spend quite some time in the Orient, so it’s often artists such as Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, N’Sync and bubblegum pop that have the pulse of the people. Oh people have generally heard of “one”, or, “with or without you”, and they all seem to like “mysterious ways” (grumble), but it’s tough to follow an act like U2, without growing up or being familiar with the cultural mores of Europe or North America – not saying it’s impossible, but rather that ingrained concepts in traditional Western philosophy & ideology, would allow for an easier connection to U2’s content. Examples: Greek/Roman mythology (everybody’s practically been exposed to it in the West), Theology/Christianity, Democracy, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s movements, hell, even Lennon/Elvis and their ramifications ect…

For those who are still with me after all that, I am garrulous, I do admit. I apologize – I’ll try to “get on with it”

The point of all this is that I’ve been out of Canada for some time, and, well, sharing a U2 bond, at an intimate level is tres difficile while I spend life on this end of the planet. There truly are heavenly things I’ve picked up being on this side (which is after all why I choose to be here), but U2, is spectacularly missing. I don’t mean “mysterious ways” U2, more like “drowning man” U2. (See? 98% of everybody reading this would understand)

(okay, okay moving along dammit!!!)

So, it is/was only natural that I would find myself at interference.com, looking to seek affirmation – which I did get (I sincerely thank all of you who expressed that you could relate to what I wrote)

Erm…there was a point to why I started this, I just lost track of it. I’m sure that if I continue plugging away It’ll eventually come back to me…umm, oh goodie, I recall now.

What I wanted to ask/inquire about, was whether there are people, (sworn in as U2 faithful) on this site, who perhaps see synchronicity in the material they’ve put out. Do the albums, do the tours, does the content connect together over their amazing 25 year span? Perhaps I ought to explain what I mean a bit further, if that helps.

The transition from Boy ~ How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Does everything in between seem to fit in place. For me, U2 has been sort of like one large, epic book (foundation like). Perhaps it may be the fact that in my own life I’ve always been a few years behind them in maturity and theme exploration. I was indignant, I revolted, I was confused, I turned to love, I absolved love, I felt superhuman, I lost that, I certainly had to leave my experiences/beliefs behind…I still haven’t found faith yet. Not a comforting kind that is reassuring, but I believe I’m getting there shortly. My point is that it’s relatively easy for me to see the journey from Boy > HTAAB so far.

Maybe they’ll mindf**k me on their next album and go into circle of love like sonnets, but you know, I think I’d understand that too. Once you’ve acquired reassuring faith, who gives a toss – what anybody thinks? My father, after 67 years, seems to have acquired such an annoying aura.

I’d like to hear from any of you on this, I don’t need such affirmation, but I am the type who would genuinely appreciate it.

Is this too verbose? I’m sure it is. Oh damn, I’ve lost circulation in my legs (writing this from the potty)

regards/adieu

As Bono himself has said in many an interview about the latest album "It feels as if we've come full circle". And the first time I heard Vertigo it struck me as to how young Bono sounded. I think each U2 album has a thread, in Finland we call it "punainen lanka" i.e. a red thread meaning there's a continuity in all of U2s work. The music may have changed but the themes have remained the same, love and faith being the main ones. The Boy has grown up into the 4 lovely men we today, growing pains and all!:heart: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :heart:

I really feel the same...but couldnt really put it to words.
you said it better.

(and didnt want to say the overused--but true--"soundtrack of my life" phrase)

I had a friend who turned to the Bible, whenever she had problems...opened it at random, and found answers.

thats u2 for me...growing and ageing as myself.

hcbiggs
if there ever is a regret I've got to come to terms with, it's not digging deeper into European perspectives. I'm rather gravitated to your concept of a punainen lanka...continuity. Don't quite know if you've had the misfortune of reading Ayn Rand, but that sent me well off the deep end for a number of years. I like continuity, the Finnish approach sounds smashing - need to flush Rand out of my system. U2, faith, continuity, your lanka...these are where I'd rather be.

smilla
rather generous of you to compliment my use of words, I misplaced my point half way! (but thank you, none-the-less). I'm not religious by nature, but the themes U2 cover transcend religion into everyday, practical, application. Nobility, pain, sacrifice, redemption, humanity, hypocrisy. U2 do a masterful job of opening up doors that I can normally be quite cynical and reserved about. I trust them, somehow it's implicit.

"growing and ageing"
beg to differ, but those are a more eloquent choice of words. It's all I really wanted to say actually (to somebody who would understand where I'm coming from).

Back
Top Bottom