Looking for a U2 related research topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
In English class, we have to do a research project and write a paper on it. I'd like to do something U2 related, but that I'll be able to find enough information on. Any suggestions?

The first thing I thought of was something about U2's Christian references.

But I think a better topic would be something like "How Pop-Culture Has Effected Political Issues In Modern History."
You could talk about events like Live Aid and Live 8, as well as some of the artists who have written protest songs about various issues in the past. Things like Bob Dylan's The Hurricane, all the Vietnam protests, as well as Sunday Bloody Sunday would be relevant I think.
You could also throw in the Stop Sellafield concerts and all of Bono's side projects to up your U2 quota.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have fun! :wave:

Meghan said:
The first thing I thought of was something about U2's Christian references.

But I think a better topic would be something like "How Pop-Culture Has Effected Political Issues In Modern History."
You could talk about events like Live Aid and Live 8, as well as some of the artists who have written protest songs about various issues in the past. Things like Bob Dylan's The Hurricane, all the Vietnam protests, as well as Sunday Bloody Sunday would be relevant I think.
You could also throw in the Stop Sellafield concerts and all of Bono's side projects to up your U2 quota.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have fun! :wave:

That sounds like it would be a great topic! It's good that it wouldn't be completely U2, but there's still a connection there.

I did a paper on protest songs last year. I only briefly mentioned Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky, but it was a fun paper to write.

If I could write a research paper on U2, I'd maybe want to write something about their influence on the music world, from the invention of the b-stage to bands like Coldplay that have an obvious U2-influence. But that may be too broad a topic, depending on how long it has to be you could probably narrow it down to their influence on live performance. U2 Show would be a great reference.

Christian themes in U2's music would also be easy because, well, it's everywhere, and there are multiple books on it. If you wanted to go the lyrical interpretation route, you could also try songs about Bono's mother or something - I Will Follow, Lemon, and Mofo are some examples. Hell, write an entire paper on Mofo. Or write a paper on the themes of either Popmart or ZooTV. Write a paper on the American theme in Joshua Tree. If you do a paper about lyrics or themes or whatever, I know there's at least one book that has the story of every U2 song (through ATYCLB, I don't think there's an update for HTDAAB yet). If you write anything about the AB era, there's plenty of material in "U2 At the End of the World."

Now that I really think about it, I'd probably write a paper about why Pop is the best album ever :wink:

or you could write a paper on the Cuban missile crisis like I did then giggle to yourself whenever U2 spy planes are mentioned. :wink:

probably more fun of a topic than christian themes in music but I guess it depends...

Back
Top Bottom