Looking back on a brilliant time (2004-2006)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Well folks, it's been 1 1/2 years since Bomb's release and the boys are back in the recording studio. The tour is being put on hold, and we're waiting, so I think now would be a good time to be nostalgic over what's happened the past 2 years.

June/July 2004
---------------
BEACH CLIPS!!!! :drool: I remember hearing these and being :hyper: for hours just thinking of what will be coming to us. Those clips were brilliant, and I've got to say thanks to those lovely spanish men who talked over Miracle Drug....

August 2004
-----------------
Vertigo single artwork revealed. Many of us were tricked into thinking this was the actual album's cover. We were wrong. :| The album's name was revealed: "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". The overall fan reaction?

:|

September 2004
-----------------------
Vertigo single release. I remember getting this on its release date from a spanish radio station. The quality was terrible, but I loved the song and played it over and over for hours on end. What a night! Overall fan reaction?

:ohmy:

Also, the album's artwork was released. Overall fan reaction?

Not good.

October 2004
------------------
Waiting. :| Until one day...LEAKAGE! Oh those days were glorious! Tracking down each and every song on the album in mp3 form and going :drool: Overall fan reaction?

:drool:

November 2004
---------------------
The big day! I bought it the day before Thanksgiving, loving the packaging and having a great time. Bomb is awesome.

Critics reaction?

:up:

February 2005
-------------------
Announcement that the tour would be postponed for an entire month due to illness. My reaction?

:(

March 2005
---------------
The tour kicked off in San Diego, and contained some surprising picks including "Zoo Station". We got to see Bono play drums on LAPOE for the first time which spawned the brilliant bono drum smiley!

And really, things just went on from there. The tour was a smash success, and now we're here waiting and wondering. Again. Will we get more beach clips soon? Will the cycle start under our very noses? Who knows?

So, share your memories! Be nostalgic!

Don't forget the whole Indie 103.1 fiasco.. When they played U2 songs all day and promised the world premiere of Vertigo.. But they never played it and at the end of the day when they were done with playing all U2, Henry Rollin's show came on and he had some not-so-nice hings to say about U2.

I dont wan to sound like a total w_nker but if you really want to remember great times, nothing beats the month before Achtung Baby was released, culminating with the release of The Fly and ending with the release of Zooropa. There is no comparison with the period that you are remembering unfortunately!!
I truly wish that U2 would announce that they are going to their Dublin studios with Lanois/Eno and that they will record 3 albums, in a similar way to Jonny Cash
I personally couldnt give a shit if they dont tour for another 5 years. What I want is more beautiful music from my 4 musical heroes!

david said:
Don't forget the whole Indie 103.1 fiasco.. When they played U2 songs all day and promised the world premiere of Vertigo.. But they never played it and at the end of the day when they were done with playing all U2, Henry Rollin's show came on and he had some not-so-nice hings to say about U2.

I'd forgotten about that! :mad: :lol:

An Cat Gav said:
I dont wan to sound like a total w_nker but if you really want to remember great times, nothing beats the month before Achtung Baby was released, culminating with the release of The Fly and ending with the release of Zooropa. There is no comparison with the period that you are remembering unfortunately!!
I truly wish that U2 would announce that they are going to their Dublin studios with Lanois/Eno and that they will record 3 albums, in a similar way to Jonny Cash
I personally couldnt give a shit if they dont tour for another 5 years. What I want is more beautiful music from my 4 musical heroes!

Well, duh. :lol:

david said:

:lol: That was irritating at the time, but now it's kinda funny. Rollins pulled a fast one on us!!! A$$hole!!!

Also, remember when Universal went power mad for a week right before the album's release and closed down a bunch of tablature sites and were threatening to remove all U2 lyrics from the internet? :| That was horrible then, but it's :lol: now!

those were exciting times... the beach clips were great. I remember the day Vertigo came out, I was so excited. I couldn't believe it was U2! I was at school at the time, and the sponser of the computer club burned it on a CD for me, and it's like all I listened to for the next few days. I remember later that day walking into a restaurant and the radio station that was playing premiered Vertigo, playing it three times in a row! that was so cool. and of course when the album leaked, that was fantastic. listening to a U2 album for the first time is great fun. I loved it.

Vertigo Tour was awesome. One of U2's best tours, and certainly one of their most varied. Both shows I went to were fantastic. December 10th, 2005 was arguably the best day of my life. It ruled, anyway.

I remember when HTDAAB leaked I didn't listen to Vertigo as much because I wanted to listen to all the "new" songs, but now I think Vertigo is one of the best songs on the album. Vertigo and OOTS win it, for me.

SNL was great...Bono lap dance :drool: and U2 on Conan was awesome too. about time they appeared on Conan.

yep the last two years have been a lot of fun and I can't wait to see what U2 comes up with next... I'm hopeful. I think it will be better than HTDAAB. Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll dig it. U2 has never truly disappointed me.

The highlight for me was U2 on Conan.

edgeheartsurkel5bq.jpg

The Edge :heart: Urkel

LemonMelon said:

Wow, October 2004 really sucked then, didn't it? :lol:

Well, in a sense it had "leaks" as we got to hear some new material after U2 played it live. I still remember the excitement after COBL was played at the BBC carpark. Good times.

Axver said:

Well, in a sense it had "leaks" as we got to hear some new material after U2 played it live. I still remember the excitement after COBL was played at the BBC carpark. Good times.

Yeah, I remember Top of The Pops and CD: UK. Some great sound quality on those shows.

Danny Boy said:
You guys are forgetting the original U2 iPod and The Complete U2.

Why would we want to remember it? "Hey, long-term fans, buy all the songs you already have to get 11 you haven't heard before!"

I remember getting an email from a friend in NY saying, "U2 just went by my window" and then being able to see my friend's office in the video!

I'd be lying if I said I looked back on this time with nostalgic delight. To me, this was the most disappointing u2 era I've ever lived thru. So much hype. So many expectations. So many lies and letdowns. So many fucking I-pod commercials.

cheerio!

Ill look back on these years as I looked back on previous eras especially with Interference and the Internet around. A time of complaining "hard core" fans that dont ever seam to be satisfied with what the band is doing.

Yahweh said:
Ill look back on these years as I looked back on previous eras especially with Interference and the Internet around. A time of complaining "hard core" fans that dont ever seam to be satisfied with what the band is doing.

Yeah, really. Some of the interference members here need to make a serious band and try and outdo U2. Submit the album to an impartial critic along with U2's upcoming album, and see how they're compared.

I think a lot of folks here would shut their mouths for a while. :|

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, really. Some of the interference members here need to make a serious band and try and outdo U2. Submit the album to an impartial critic along with U2's upcoming album, and see how they're compared.

I think a lot of folks here would shut their mouths for a while. :|
Ha, come on. I'm getting tired of pointing people to the obvious logical fallacy in those statements. That one can't do something better themselves, doesn't mean that their complaint is invalid.

Compare this:
- man, this beer tastes awful :barf:
- well, set up a beer brewery then and make something better yourself :|

Or:
- this country sucks :madspit:
- well, make your own country then, let's see if it's better :|

In the end its U2's music not yours and I am sure they wouldnt be making a record if it wasnt interesting to them.

Get it through your rockbrained skulls, if you dont like the record dont buy it, I dont mind that people say they dont like something once or twice but its the same people bashing whatever material they dont like over and over again in countless threads countless times.

Danny Boy said:
Oh, come now, how many people on this board actually bought them? :wink:

:reject: i did...

well in my defense, i became a U2 fan in mid- 05 (so i missed all this fun stuff, looking forward to it starting all over again) but yeah, i only had HTDAAB and my mom had bought Rattle & Hum from a music service, but otherwise...the complete U2 was needed haha

Yahweh said:
Get it through your rockbrained skulls, if you dont like the record dont buy it, I dont mind that people say they dont like something once or twice but its the same people bashing whatever material they dont like over and over again in countless threads countless times.

I can't speak for others but personally I criticize the last 2 albums only if the subject is brought up. Or if all of a sudden I notice some bad lyrics or cliched stuff somewhere while listening and decide to make a thread about it. I would never keep saying the same thing over and over again like 'omg u2's new material sucks, they haven't made anything good since Pop' just to get somebody's attention or to get a rise out of people. I know some people here do that though. Besides, I don't think there's anything wrong with thoughtful analysis over why some of us don't like a certain album or era or whatever. Doesn't mean we're trying to concoct theories just to push our opinions down people's throats, like somebody once claimed. :|

Back
Top Bottom