LOL! at the mix in OOTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I was just listening to this song today, as it is a favourite of mine from the new album, and suddenly realized how much Larry got screwed in the mixdown for this one. I know drums have taken a back seat on the entire album, leading some to criticize Larry for some odd reason, but OOTS is just hilarious.

I almost feel bad for the guy, the rhythm accoustic guitar strums, although you can't even hear the chords, are louder than his drumming :lol:

It is well known fact that Steve Lilywhite ain't a drum man. I have heard in the past that when U2 worked with Lanois, Lanois took a very big interest in Mullen's drumming and used to push him hard. If you watch the Classic Album programme for the Joshua Tree you can hear Lanois talking about this. Also if you compare the rhythm sound on this album to Achtung Baby(Lanois production) it is nowhere near a comparision, in fact I would go as far as saying compared to Achtung Baby the rhythm sound on this album sucks!

I think larry has some really great moments on HTDAAB...he plays a huge part in what makes the first three tracks on the album so powerful, in my opinion.

One of the things that attracted me to U2 was the strong agressive drumming on the War album. Larry could have been gone on the album and it would have been the same, unfortunately. I still like HTDAABB, though.

Agree with SpaceBoy. Larry's drums are awesome in Miracle Drug, part of what makes the song for me... especially as the song reaches it's climax..

i think that it's a testament to U2 that the whole is put ahead of the individual. if you think that lillywhite had mullen intentionally mixed down because he doesn't care for drums then you're crazy. he's one of the best producers in the business and is well aware of the fact that you can't hide drums. listen to many of the other albums he's produced (not involving U2), he certainly has no bias against drums. rather, U2 collectively came to the conclusion that the overall sound that they wanted was to be achieved by mixing larry in the manner in which he was.

for example, adam's bass is nowhere near as pronounced on ATYCLB as it is on, say, Pop or Achtung Baby or the Joshua Tree; but that's how U2 wanted it done. When each band member fights for equal volume level you end up with Van Halen or Metallica: loud, bombastic sounding records where everyone is drowned out, there's no emphasis on anything, and virtually all ambient sound is gone, lending the record credence as a glorifed bootleg more than an album.

james

holy cow, you're not kidding. i can't believe i didn't notice this sooner.

that's pretty bad.

James U2 said:
i think that it's a testament to U2 that the whole is put ahead of the individual. if you think that lillywhite had mullen intentionally mixed down because he doesn't care for drums then you're crazy. he's one of the best producers in the business and is well aware of the fact that you can't hide drums. listen to many of the other albums he's produced (not involving U2), he certainly has no bias against drums. rather, U2 collectively came to the conclusion that the overall sound that they wanted was to be achieved by mixing larry in the manner in which he was.

for example, adam's bass is nowhere near as pronounced on ATYCLB as it is on, say, Pop or Achtung Baby or the Joshua Tree; but that's how U2 wanted it done. When each band member fights for equal volume level you end up with Van Halen or Metallica: loud, bombastic sounding records where everyone is drowned out, there's no emphasis on anything, and virtually all ambient sound is gone, lending the record credence as a glorifed bootleg more than an album.

james

:yes: :yes:

rjhbonovox said:
It is well known fact that Steve Lilywhite ain't a drum man.

Huh? Larry is the most prominent on U2's first three albums and they were produced by, guess who, Lillywhite.

Back
Top Bottom