Live8/All Along The Watchtower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Two questions here -

1. What songs did U2 perform at Live8?

2. My friend has a song on his mp3 player called All Along The Watchtower. Isn't this by U2? Does anyone have a clue as to why my friend has it? I know it's not the U2 version.

All Along The Watchtower was originally a Bob Dylan song then Jimi Hendrix covered it using electric guitar, Dylan's was acoustic. U2 covered it for Rattle and Hum.

U2 played Vertigo, Beautiful Day and One at Live8 and Bono performed Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band with Paul MacCartney.

U2 performed the following songs at Live 8:
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (with Paul McCartney)
- Beautiful Day
- Vertigo
- One

As for All Along The Watchtower, although U2 have played the song (and released it on Rattle And Hum), it isn't their song. Bob Dylan wrote it and it originally appeared on his album John Wesley Harding. The most famous (and arguably best) performance of this song is by The Jimi Hendrix Experience (on the album Electric Ladyland). I don't know your friend and the type of music he listens to, but he might have this version.

C ya!

Marty

Thanks guys, I exxpect it is the JHE version as he and another of my friends are both into JH.

That Live8 set looks good, I saw Sgt Peppers and Beautiful Day but would have liked to see Vertigo and One.

DMC did a cover of All Along the Watchtower in Barrie during his Live 8 set... but the lyrics are mostly changed

was still cool though, to hear Paul McCartney do Helter Skelter and DMC do All Along the Watchtower-- now only if U2 could bring themselves to do one of those songs again

Back
Top Bottom