Live Versions Vs. Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thecrackedjack5

The Fly
Now that we have some official high quality live version of 3 songs from the new album, how do you think the live versions stand up against the studio ones?

The live versions are much better. Live is where they live and Bono´s voice just amazes me (especially on Sometimes and MD!)

I just hope they will find a way to play OOTS. Beautiful song, but difficult to bring well...

Live all the way. I am just so excited about this tour, regardless of ticket prices. These songs are going to sound awesome.

Live versions kick ass! Its amazing how good U2 are live, the tour can't start soon enough!!

Live versions for the most part are superior, but it's good to have the studio versions as jumping off points.

Have you guys tried to go back to the studio version Until the End of the World, for example? Almost impossible to listen to without the energy from the live version. Almost... :wink:

U2 are definitely a live band, where the energy, passion, and soul of each performance makes the songs live and breathe. Live music rules.

live, always live.

my dream version of 'original'--get edge to pull out that jangly guitar for the whole song. forget the piano.

:up:

dandy said:
live, always live.

my dream version of 'original'--get edge to pull out that jangly guitar for the whole song. forget the piano.

:up:

I agree. If you block out the piano portion of the studio version (particularly in the second verse forward), the electric guitar is awesome. Similarly, you can hear the electric guitars on the snippet from 2001.

for OOTS, how about play the piano over the PA, and for the firist minute or two (before Larry kicks in) it's just Bono? That would be great, the stadium pitch black but for a spotlight on Bono, walking around on the b-stage or something.

COBL is fuckin' amazing on the album but EDGES SLIDE GUTIAR is so great!!!!

I can't wait for LaPoE, AMaaW, and Fast Cars.

Oh yeah, if you see and Los Angeles shows and you hear constant shouts of 'Mercy!' then it's probably me

discothequeLP said:
COBL is fuckin' amazing on the album but EDGES SLIDE GUTIAR is so great!!!!

Yes, the slide just adds so much more to it! I was just listening to the full Brooklyn show courtesy of U2Exit. I keep moving the slider back to COBL just for the slide. :up:

I will also be shouting "Mercy", and plan to make a PLEASE PLAY MERCY sign to go with it. If we can get people in each city to support the song maybe it will happen down the road. Telling Bono to play it while he's signing your CD outside the venue might help too. And even if you don't see it, you'll get to hear it on a bootleg (or i-Tunes live show).

laz

ADecentMelody said:

Yes, the slide just adds so much more to it! I was just listening to the full Brooklyn show courtesy of U2Exit. I keep moving the slider back to COBL just for the slide. :up:

Ooooh, what application are you using that allows you to 'rewind' like that?

Back
Top Bottom