Live songs from Pop officially released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
These are the live songs from Pop that were officially released as b-sides...at least they are the ones that I have:

Please and Staring at the Sun, live from Rotterdam, both from the single Please
Discotheque, If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Last Night on Earth, live from Mexico City, all three from Beautiful Day enhanced australian single
Gone, live from Boston, from Walk On enhanced australian single

Is that all? I believe so. I?m not considering the Pop songs from Hasta La Vista Baby, because that one was not available for purchasing, so I don?t have it.

So, which one of those 6 would be your fave and why?

I love them all, but I have been really into Last Night on Earth, from the BD single, lately. It?s a great live song, with a very powerful arrangement, sounds much more heavy live. I love when Bono sings in this performance: Mexico, Mexico, Mexico City, how did it get so high?...very, very nice version of the song.
I might change my pick tomorrow though...I?ve been so changeable... ;)

Cheers
MT

Making a choice... :hmm:

That's too difficult for me.
Yes, LNOE is a great song and the live version kicks ass!
But Gone is great too, really love the breakdown in the middle as they did on the Elevation tour.
Then you have Please, an awesome song in a tremendous live performance.
And finally there is Staring At The Sun, performed with a whole stadium singing along (including me!).

It just too difficult to choose!!! :no:

C ya!

Marty

this is easy. please from popmart may be their best live effort ever. it definetely is best from the list above.

i confess that i don't like LNOE that much as a song, however i recognize that the live version is great, especially the "I Wanna Meet God" intro - that is really chilling.
Anyway, from these list I don't have any doubt in choosing please as my favourite, not just because is one of my top5 songs but also because the arrangements live are from out of this world.

Last Night On Earth is one U2's best live songs ever and the best one from POP. They should bring it back for this next tour!!! And Bono's intro for it is awesome!

Gone from Boston is fantastic too, very, very rock n' roll! I just love when The Edge throws his guitar to the ground then kicks it away!!!! I like this kind of attitude!!!:edge: = :mad:

Last edited:
POP Live CD

1. Pop Muzik (Hasta La Vista Baby) (3:07)
2. Discotheque (Hasta La Vista Baby) (5:07)
3. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Hasta La Vista Baby) (5:38)
4. Mofo (Hasta La Vista Baby) (4:35)
5. Last Night on Earth (Beautiful Day Single - Mexico City) (6:30)
6. Gone (Walk On Single ? Boston DVD) (5:05)
7. If You Wear that Velvet Dress (Beautiful Day Single - Mexico City) (2:43)
8. Staring at the Sun (Please Popheart EP - Rotterdam) (5:33)
9. Wake Up Dead Man (Slane DVD) (2:04)
10. Please (Please Popheart EP - Rotterdam) (7:11)
11. Where the Streets Have No Name (Please Popheart EP - Rotterdam) (6:33)
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone (Hasta La Vista Baby) (4:40)
Staring At The Sun (Hasta La Vista Baby) (4:30)
Please (Hasta La Vista Baby) (6:57)

Last edited:
A reply to myself! I wonder how many U2 fans would prefer this POP Live CD over the POP album itself (even without Streets)? Some great live versions and it doesn't have the songs that many fans say they do not like such as Playboy Mansion & Miami.

I always enjoy U2 live than any of their studio albums. Songs just come alive and take on their own meaning.

As for the best live song off Pop. Gotta go with Please. Its so beautiful to hear that song live then go into streets. They took that combo around the world to huge stadiums. VERY COOL!!!!

POP had more songs officially released live than any other album in U2's storied career. U2 were so desperate to stick the live versions up the fans asses to make them forget the substandard unfinished album versions.

POP's songs were also redone by U2, either as single versions (Last Night On Earth, If God Will Send His Angels, Please) or as new versions with the best of 1990-2000 (Gone, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun). A new version of Playboy Mansion was supposed to come with the accompanying single of THTBA but it didn't push through since the song failed to win an Oscar.

Bono has also admitted POP was "unfinished" and vowed never to do the same "mistake" again with subsequent albums. Brian Eno labelled POP as "disjointed".

So you can find many live POP songs and new versions of POP songs in abundance because U2 wants to shove these alternate versions down the fans throats so that original POP will be totally forgotten and done away with. My guess is that they are embarrassed about the album after revisiting it during the ATYCLB period and during the making of the Best Of 1990-2000.

Cheers,

J

That doesn?t surprise me at all jick...I mean, that you think that way, but please, don?t try to speak for other fans as well. I surely don?t think they were trying to shove the songs down my throat, because I love them, album or live versions.

Seems that Please is the majority?s fave. The Rotterdam version is outstanding, no doubt. Good choice for a release of a live performance. The combo Please/Streets is still my fave.

Cheers
MT

jick said:
U2 were so desperate to stick the live versions up the fans asses to make them forget the substandard unfinished album versions.

So you can find many live POP songs and new versions of POP songs in abundance because U2 wants to shove these alternate versions down the fans throats so that original POP will be totally forgotten and done away with.

:blahblah: :yawn:

Maybe they released more live songs from Pop to remind people that it was indeed a good record.

LOL martha, good one.

This morning I was checking this special project of mine, again :D I mean, listening to the 6 performances I mentioned...yeah, I?m that weird, lol. As usual, I realized what a promising live song Velvet Dress would be. I say promising because, as far as I know, they never played it in full and that?s a pity. The version from Mexico is one of the shortest, I think. I?m sure the one from S?o Paulo has at least one verse more. Btw, there?s a specific bit from the Mexico version that gets me chills, it?s towards the end, Bono lets his voice sort of fails a bit...not exactly fails but he goes "if you weaaar..eear that velvet dress"...gosh, tough stuff to describe in a language that?s not mine, lol...but I hope you get my point, it?s 2:03 to 2:06 min into the song.

Cheers
MT

martha said:
Maybe they released more live songs from Pop to remind people that it was indeed a good record.
well, I think the truth is to be found somewhere in the middle

I'm quite sure they wouldn't have released all those POP songs live if they weren't proud of those songs

they are probably very proud of a lot of their live songs though and still don't release them from other albums in this quantity
so it's hard to ignore that they probably wanted to revenge themselves a bit for the the songs not working out on the album as they had hoped (it does seem to be their opinion that POP could have been a better album no matter whether you agree with that or not)

Please was one of the highlights of PopMart for me
so I'll also go with that one

U2Soar said:
What was the best performance of Miami by the band along with the best recording of it?

Interesting question, cause I happen to love Miami live. Another little special project of mine was a collection of performances of Miami, with a little help from my friend rafmed (hi rafmed :wave:) The one I like the most so far is from New Jersey, 06/01/1997. It?s recorded from Bono?s mike and it?s really cool. The end it?s quite funny, with Bono joking about Edge?s singing. Edge is doing his "pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa" and Bono goes "pa pa pa yourself The Edge!" :laugh:

Cheers
MT

Salome said:
they are probably very proud of a lot of their live songs though and still don't release them from other albums in this quantity
so it's hard to ignore that they probably wanted to revenge themselves a bit for the the songs not working out on the album as they had hoped (it does seem to be their opinion that POP could have been a better album no matter whether you agree with that or not)

That might be true, because they really shine live, but for me it?s different from trying to shove the songs down the fans?s throat as said previously. Anyways, if it was done as a sort of revenge it was a sweet one, I think ;)

Cheers
MT

Hi meximofo...long time no see :D

Okay, talking about about Miami...I?ll post here an attempt to transcribe into english something I wrote a couple of weeks ago to one of my local groups. It?s about Miami live. Sorry in advance if it sounds weird, I mean, my writing, not my ideas :lol:

Miami seems like a cursed song, the one U2 fans dislike the most, even deplore it, as well as Pop, the album where it belongs. There?s nothing wrong with people who feel that way, for sure, but I have a theory. I believe that many would change their minds if they listened to Miami live, any performance. It?s so good, really special . Along with Velvet Dress, Miami is one of the best examples of something I love in Pop, which is sensuality in U2 music. Both songs form what I would call a seductive duo, Velvet Dress with its lyrics, Miami with the sound, the music, the rythm, and all of that is highlighted in live performances. It?s all about guitars, bass, drums and some sequencer at the service of sensuality and sexuality. Miami is plenty of that. Forget about the lyrics, which may be considered nonsense for some. Although the verses portrait the city, I think that Bono was more concerned about the sound of the words, the combination of those sounds, than about the meaning itself when he wrote it. Focus on the sound, the warm beat, the perfect combination of bass and drums, a rocking guitar and a sexy, sexy voice. Even the sequencer sounds like a mantra or something. Try that with your earphones on and you?ll see, better saying, you?ll feel it. If that doesn?t change you mind, nothing will do it ;). That?s the reason why I think they commited a regretable mistake when they dropped Miami from the Popmart setlist. But oh well, those days are gone.

Cheers
MT

Leeloo said:
I think I misunderstood, this isn't really being released, this is only what we would like?

Actually the 6 performances I mentioned in my original posts were the ones officially released. ;)

Cheers
MT

follower said:
Hi meximofo...long time no see :D

Okay, talking about about Miami...I?ll post here an attempt to transcribe into english something I wrote a couple of weeks ago to one of my local groups. It?s about Miami live. Sorry in advance if it sounds weird, I mean, my writing, not my ideas :lol:

Miami seems like a cursed song, the one U2 fans dislike the most, even deplore it, as well as Pop, the album where it belongs. There?s nothing wrong with people who feel that way, for sure, but I have a theory. I believe that many would change their minds if they listened to Miami live, any performance. It?s so good, really special . Along with Velvet Dress, Miami is one of the best examples of something I love in Pop, which is sensuality in U2 music. Both songs form what I would call a seductive duo, Velvet Dress with its lyrics, Miami with the sound, the music, the rythm, and all of that is highlighted in live performances. It?s all about guitars, bass, drums and some sequencer at the service of sensuality and sexuality. Miami is plenty of that. Forget about the lyrics, which may be considered nonsense for some. Although the verses portrait the city, I think that Bono was more concerned about the sound of the words, the combination of those sounds, than about the meaning itself when he wrote it. Focus on the sound, the warm beat, the perfect combination of bass and drums, a rocking guitar and a sexy, sexy voice. Even the sequencer sounds like a mantra or something. Try that with your earphones on and you?ll see, better saying, you?ll feel it. If that doesn?t change you mind, nothing will do it ;). That?s the reason why I think they commited a regretable mistake when they dropped Miami from the Popmart setlist. But oh well, those days are gone.

Cheers
MT

I couldn't agree more :applaud: :bow: :up:

Back
Top Bottom