Live Nation expands reach with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Fanatic4ever said:

the only way that is gonna improve is if they change their policy on membership of the fanclub, i.e putting a time frame on when you can join (like what Duran Duran and REM do for example) prior to future presales otherwise it is going to be the same damn fiasco all over again. :mad:

yeah Pearl Jam has it set up like that too, you have to be an active member for a certain amount of time before a tour.

I want to take this all as a good thing....

ntalwar said:

What happens with other acts isn't important to me. I think we'll get a solid production and overall experience. You haven't really given specific examples of risks to a U2 tour.

Isnt Live Nation U2's production company?? That is how it threatens a U2 tour. You dont exactly want to be locked in for 12 years for what is assuredly a sinking ship. There have already been problems w/ U2 and LiveNation. One of the reasons they did not do American stadiums like they did on Joshua Tree(a tour similar to Vertigo in structure and also in the sense that the stage was not elaborate like zoo tv or popmart) was because livenation had a problem with their pricing system for GA floor admission. They could have easily filled stadiums, grossed a higher amount, and done a few less shows to help Bono's voice, etc. LiveNation had a big problem w/ real fans and not corporations who dont give as shit being down on the floor and the around the catwalks. They are already had to bend to their demands, and will even more so now that they are locked in with them. These people are the least flexible people you will ever deal with, and they literally are not smart enough to know not to pick fights w/ U2!

you claim to know alot considering you only have been to one u2 show...:huh:

I don't believe that was the reason they didn't do stadiums in the US.. Elevation and Vertigo Tours here in the US were intended to be more intimate aka Arenas that was the intent of the band.. With the exception of Hawaii which was a stadium.. They had a hard time selling tix for this one and was never close to a sell out..

Anyone else care to elaborate.. I'm tired and am at a loss on details,etc..

Last edited:
U2387 said:

Isnt Live Nation U2's production company?? That is how it threatens a U2 tour. You dont exactly want to be locked in for 12 years for what is assuredly a sinking ship. There have already been problems w/ U2 and LiveNation. One of the reasons they did not do American stadiums like they did on Joshua Tree(a tour similar to Vertigo in structure and also in the sense that the stage was not elaborate like zoo tv or popmart) was because livenation had a problem with their pricing system for GA floor admission. They could have easily filled stadiums, grossed a higher amount, and done a few less shows to help Bono's voice, etc.

If they had a problem with pricing, they could have charged a higher amount like the promoter in Brazil did for GA. And if LiveNation goes under, I'm sure all contracts will be void.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I don't believe that was the reason they didn't do stadiums in the US.. Elevation and Vertigo Tours here in the US were intended to be more intimate aka Arenas that was the intent of the band..

That wasn't it either. When the Spring tour went to hell ticket-wise, they had to put the Fall tour on sale waaaaaay earlier than it should have been, to quell some of the public outcry. They had a load of the arenas on hold anyway, in case they couldn't do the Spring tour at all (due to Edge's concerns), so they just put those venues on sale as the "third" leg.

They WANTED to do a stadium tour in fall 2005 in the States, it just wasn't an option as they already had obligations re: arenas.

A bit more about U2.com.
From the Irish Times.

As a result of the deal, the Irish rockers are now nicely set up for retirement. Bono will be in his 60th year by the time the contract runs out in 2020 while the other band members are just a year younger.

"We've been dating for over 20 years now - it's about time we tied the knot," Bono said yesterday. "With regards to U2.com, we feel we've got a great website, but we want to make it a lot better. We want a closer, more direct relationship between the band, its audience and Live Nation has pledged to help us with that."

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0401/1206977164640.html

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
you claim to know alot considering you only have been to one u2 show...:huh:

I don't believe that was the reason they didn't do stadiums in the US.. Elevation and Vertigo Tours here in the US were intended to be more intimate aka Arenas that was the intent of the band.. With the exception of Hawaii which was a stadium.. They had a hard time selling tix for this one and was never close to a sell out..

I am not claiming to know alot, I do know this stuff. I am not some little hack claiming to know everything just to feel good in front of a bunch of strangers on the internet, that would be a little pathetic, dont you think. Iam just saying what I have read/learned that concerns me about my favorite band going with a company that I know is far from spectacular. Just because I have only been to one U2 show does not mean I do not follow the band, read stuff on websites, watch on youtube and read about previous tours. You can learn alot these days, let me tell you. My aunt has been to about 30 shows, is a fan club member, has sat everywhere for most tours and I talk alot to her. Dont make this personal, instead, show me what you know and prove I'm wrong instead of talking about how many shows I have attended. I have worked doing my job now for 2 years and have worked more shows than some people who have been w/my company for 20 years since it is all I do in the summer. I know all the promoters, and they talk alot about how things are in the business because it affects us all. Anyways, one of the reasons they wanted to go back to arenas was the intimacy, no doubt, but it was not like they wanted to exclude stadiums. See 2nd leg Vertigo Europe, South America, Australia, etc. All I am saying is the ticket pricing was one consideration, livenation owns many stadiums in the US and they have 100% veto power over who goes into them and what the pricing system is. They even have alot of pull when they just produce but dont own a venue outright. They threatened and twisted the arms of the Police to change their pricing for the Fenway shows last summer 2007 and they did, because changing their production/promotion business was just not an option mid tour. Not worth the aggravation. Livenation insisted that the pricing be done traditional way for all stadium shows in the United States. Am I saying this is the only reason U2 did not do stadiums? No, and I never did. I was just using it as an example of how LiveNation affects U2.

ntalwar said:

If they had a problem with pricing, they could have charged a higher amount like the promoter in Brazil did for GA. And if LiveNation goes under, I'm sure all contracts will be void.

No, they could not have done that! LiveNation was insisting that the GA not just be charged a higher amount and still be lower than the rest of the seats, but that the GA be the highest priced tickets in the house. They were insisting on this for all American stadium shows. They can demand more in America because that is where they own and control almost all of the business. Brazil and other places, they operate on a completely different set of rules as there are all kinds of tax, regulatory and travel considerations. They have to rely alot more on local promoters that they have not quite taken over yet. In the US, they have bought out the locals for a long time now and they can have their say of the policies. Of course, I know all contracts would be void if LiveNation goes under, that is obvious. The point is, what we should all be concerned about, is that this company does not know what the hell they are doing. If they are losing business by the day, does that speak too well to their ability to sell merchandise, promote tours and do all the other things they will be doing with U2? No, not at all. U2 is fine, they can stand on their own, and this contract, regardless of whether livenation stays around or not, will not last 12 years, mark my words. There will be conflict, turmoil, and McGuiness will stand up to them at some point, use the enormous leverage of U2, and some one will come and buy out the contract. Again, I am not trying to be an asshole here, I have firsthand experience with this company and genuinely do not think this is a good move. I am not the arrogant type and am always happy to defer to someone who comes along who is more knowledgable than myself. Read some of my other posts elsewhere here and you will see that very pattern during my short time on interference.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
With the exception of Hawaii which was a stadium.. They had a hard time selling tix for this one and was never close to a sell out..

You are using an unanticipated emergency as the normal pattern for how ticket sales would go at US stadiums here. The original April 8,2006 scheduled Hawaii performance sold out in 1 hour, the fastest ever sell out for a stadium anywhere. Due to the postponement of the tour and all the problems surrounding it, Hawaii did not sell out, but it was, in fact, close. A near sellout:http://www.u2station.com/tours/archives/2006/12/120906_honolulu.php
Popmart, the tour that promoted their weakest album had plenty of US stadium sell outs. Its freakin U2, they will never have to worry about not being able to sell out stadiums(Latin America anyone). I know that, even with the one concert under my belt I know that!

U2387 said:

They were insisting on this for all American stadium shows.

If it takes live nation to keep them in arenas, I'm all for that.
Arenas :up: - I get to see more shows that way. I don't care about behind the scenes politics, etc. They will probably stick with Fogel, wherever he goes.

ntalwar said:

If it takes live nation to keep them in arenas, I'm all for that.
Arenas :up: - I get to see more shows that way. I don't care about behind the scenes politics, etc. They will probably stick with Fogel, wherever he goes.

Fair enough, you will be happy. :) I like stadiums as well as arenas, both have their good aspects. Fogel is a good guy, and I absolutely see him being used by whoever is smart enough to hire him, and that is certainly U2!! As I am sure you know, probably better than me, Fogel predated live nation and will be around after them.

U2387 said:

No, they could not have done that! LiveNation was insisting that the GA not just be charged a higher amount and still be lower than the rest of the seats, but that the GA be the highest priced tickets in the house. They were insisting on this for all American stadium shows. They can demand more in America because that is where they own and control almost all of the business. Brazil and other places, they operate on a completely different set of rules as there are all kinds of tax, regulatory and travel considerations. They have to rely alot more on local promoters that they have not quite taken over yet. In the US, they have bought out the locals for a long time now and they can have their say of the policies. Of course, I know all contracts would be void if LiveNation goes under, that is obvious. The point is, what we should all be concerned about, is that this company does not know what the hell they are doing. If they are losing business by the day, does that speak too well to their ability to sell merchandise, promote tours and do all the other things they will be doing with U2? No, not at all. U2 is fine, they can stand on their own, and this contract, regardless of whether livenation stays around or not, will not last 12 years, mark my words. There will be conflict, turmoil, and McGuiness will stand up to them at some point, use the enormous leverage of U2, and some one will come and buy out the contract. Again, I am not trying to be an asshole here, I have firsthand experience with this company and genuinely do not think this is a good move. I am not the arrogant type and am always happy to defer to someone who comes along who is more knowledgable than myself. Read some of my other posts elsewhere here and you will see that very pattern during my short time on interference.

as I said in my last post.. I am not going to get into it with you... Not wasting my energy explaining it all to you.. Just not worth it..

Let someone else do that if they choose to.

sue4u2 said:
A bit more about U2.com.
From the Irish Times.
As a result of the deal, the Irish rockers are now nicely set up for retirement. Bono will be in his 60th year by the time the contract runs out in 2020 while the other band members are just a year younger.
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0401/1206977164640.html

Does anyone else find this thought a bit scary? :huh:

And can't the Irish times get their ages right? Adam is older than Bono.

They posted the article on Perez Hilton with the nasty picture of monk Bono and the dead baby on the ground. Not cool. One thing that most of these articles and sites are failing to mention is that U2 HAS been dealing with Live Nation for the past 20 years. Everything has worked fine up to this point regarding merchandise. I'm not sure how much they can do to improve the website in making it more personal, ect. They should totally put up the studio cams again with live web streaming!!!:drool: Anyways, back on topic. Yes, tickets have gone through TicketBastard, and see how thats worked. Anyone besides them is a good replacement!

last unicorn said:

Does anyone else find this thought a bit scary? :huh:

And can't the Irish times get their ages right? Adam is older than Bono.

I did actually. 12 years is a long time if things go badly from the get go. :eyebrow:

what!! newspapers to do research! Surely you jest. :lol:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

as I said in my last post.. I am not going to get into it with you... Not wasting my energy explaining it all to you.. Just not worth it..

Let someone else do that if they choose to.

First you use personal attacks and try to peg me as some kind of know it all, when I work closely w/ all this stuff and have researched it, and then you say that you do not have to respond to me with any facts. Ok, fine, dont waste your energy, but who is the know it all now? The one who will explain why they think what they say is true, or the one who will not do the same? I am just supposed to accept somehow that I am wrong because you say so? Not much logic there my friend. Save your energy, I do not need you to explain anything to me. That was the policy live nation insisted on for the American tours. Promoters have told me, tour managers have told me, it has been talked about elsewhere on this and other forums, so just go and do a little research instead of condescending. You are only making yourself look like an idiot. Nothing you say or think you know will change livenations policy RE: US stadiums. Anyways, no one else is going to refute me on this, I know it for a fact, so why dont you be a man of your word and have a try? Its the least you should do-back up a personal attack on what you think someone knows by showing that person where they are wrong. Just do us all a favor and get lost from this post, I would not be this persistent with it if I did not know what I was talking about.

P.S. I am always more than happy to defer to someone who has information from inside on these issues and is willing to share it with us here at inteference. Again, do you think I would just post this stuff for the hell of it, just to make waves and show that I am somehow smarter than everyone else?? When I know something that I think I can contribute, I post. What reason would I have to lie about what I hear from people I deal with on a daily basis in the summer and at least a monthly basis year round? My personal work schedule has changed many times due to LiveNations stadium policy. Just because I am 21 does not mean I am a complete idiot.

U2387 said:

First you use personal attacks and try to peg me as some kind of know it all, when I work closely w/ all this stuff and have researched it, and then you say that you do not have to respond to me with any facts. Ok, fine, dont waste your energy, but who is the know it all now? The one who will explain why they think what they say is true, or the one who will not do the same? I am just supposed to accept somehow that I am wrong because you say so? Not much logic there my friend. Save your energy, I do not need you to explain anything to me. That was the policy live nation insisted on for the American tours. Promoters have told me, tour managers have told me, it has been talked about elsewhere on this and other forums, so just go and do a little research instead of condescending. You are only making yourself look like an idiot. Nothing you say or think you know will change livenations policy RE: US stadiums. Anyways, no one else is going to refute me on this, I know it for a fact, so why dont you be a man of your word and have a try? Its the least you should do-back up a personal attack on what you think someone knows by showing that person where they are wrong. Just do us all a favor and get lost from this post, I would not be this persistent with it if I did not know what I was talking about.

P.S. I am always more than happy to defer to someone who has information from inside on these issues and is willing to share it with us here at inteference. Again, do you think I would just post this stuff for the hell of it, just to make waves and show that I am somehow smarter than everyone else?? When I know something that I think I can contribute, I post. What reason would I have to lie about what I hear from people I deal with on a daily basis in the summer and at least a monthly basis year round? My personal work schedule has changed many times due to LiveNations stadium policy. Just because I am 21 does not mean I am a complete idiot.

look... I was not making personal attacks on you and certainly wasn't name calling as you are doing here.. You are trying to provoke me into something I said I didn't want to get into. Calling me an idiot is uncalled for....
I am not calling you an idiot nor did I say anything remotely close to that at all. You are the one that making this into a big deal..

Last edited:
Alright guys, how bout everyone take a nice deep breath and step away from the personal jabs? No need to over-react and certainly no need to be rude.

Thanks.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

look... I was not making personal attacks on you and certainly wasn't name calling as you are doing here.. You are trying to provoke me into something I said I didn't want to get into. Calling me an idiot is uncalled for....
I am not calling you an idiot nor did I say anything remotely close to that at all. You are the one that making this into a big deal..

I said look like an idiot, I did not call you an idiot. Either way, not the best choice of words, should not have said that. I was not trying to provoke you into saying anything, just pointing out how you wanted to call me a know it all, but then did not want to get involved. Fair, your choice. I truly do not want to start a personal war here and we can stay out of further discussion of this, no problem.

...They should totally put up the studio cams again with live web streaming!!!:drool: ..... [/B]

Wouldn't that be a great thing. People would run to join. It would most likely run better than during the Pop recording. Me wants.

I do fear, this again is a step forward to create more of an "event" than a concert.
On the last tour you already could see – and get really angry about – that shortly before the lights go down, dozens of people were let in the front area. People, who were dressed up elegantly with their cocktail glasses in hands, men looking like bankers and the women giving the idea of an opera ball. These people had wristbands gven to them, either by having bought so-called "VIP"-packages (the less, I guess) or were sponsors and 'friends' of the arena, where U2 played. This thing happening for sure by the knowledge of U2's Management, it's not right.
These people are not there because of the music, but because of the party-event: heavy chatting inbetewwn songs, with thier phones laways talking about any rubbish – while Bono sings, and drinking, drinking drinking. They do not only block the space and view of real fans, who weren't able to enter the area (of course a lot of space was left free there for the VIPs), but they create an atmosphere, I don't like. An atmosphere of a cocktail party ("Hey, I have no idea what they are about, but I saw this group U2")

Now if you take U2's decision for Live Nation with their industrial behaviour during the 'Madonna'-Tour or the last 'Stones'-Tour being the biggest grossing one in history (therefore the spot, U2 want be at ...) we can count with really high ticket prices, the block of the best available seats being sold only as 'exclusive' and as part of way over-priced 'VIP'-packages and maybe the FOS area being sold separately for much more money than the rest on the floor.
The band will make more money than ever with this deal. Fine for them, but I really do hope, that the fans will not be forgotten – we are the real VIPs, folks ...

Looks like u2.com finally launched a new webmail that actually looks more robust that what they were offering before.

Let's see how/if it works. At least they are making an effort to improve.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
I do fear, this again is a step forward to create more of an "event" than a concert.
On the last tour you already could see – and get really angry about – that shortly before the lights go down, dozens of people were let in the front area. People, who were dressed up elegantly with their cocktail glasses in hands, men looking like bankers and the women giving the idea of an opera ball. These people had wristbands gven to them, either by having bought so-called "VIP"-packages (the less, I guess) or were sponsors and 'friends' of the arena, where U2 played. This thing happening for sure by the knowledge of U2's Management, it's not right.
These people are not there because of the music, but because of the party-event: heavy chatting inbetewwn songs, with thier phones laways talking about any rubbish – while Bono sings, and drinking, drinking drinking. They do not only block the space and view of real fans, who weren't able to enter the area (of course a lot of space was left free there for the VIPs), but they create an atmosphere, I don't like. An atmosphere of a cocktail party ("Hey, I have no idea what they are about, but I saw this group U2")

having some experience with the whole "VIP" thing... i did not see anyone in tuxedos and gowns like you seem to be making it out to be. at least not at MSG, which is the epicenter of celebrity and big money snobbery. nobody was allowed to take a bottle, glass or other drink out of the bar where the VIP pre-party was held down into the arena, seeing as the bottles and glasses were, in fact, glass and you're not allowed to have glass items in the arena it's self for obvious reasons. they did, however, sell plastic glasses of champagne and other hard liquors on the floor of the garden, readily available to any and all comers, not just the "VIPs" that you seem to be speaking of.

did some of the people at the pre-show VIP parties get wristbands into the ellipse without having to go through the whole GA process? yes.

did everyone in the pre-show VIP parties get wristbands into the ellipse? no. some had seats, some got wristbands to the floor and hung out by the VIP/soundboard area. most of the people there, and it was only 20 or so people, at least at the ones that i went to, were invited guests of band management... friends and the like, not business people who bought their way in.

is it fair? :shrug: that's for you to deicde.

Last edited:
From this deal i hope

- Tickets prices dont double
- It doesnt stop u2 playing stadiums in the US
- It doesnt force u2 to continue playing live shows when there past their prime
- Doesnt comprise creative stage designs

vaz02 said:
From this deal i hope

- Tickets prices dont double
- It doesnt stop u2 playing stadiums in the US
- It doesnt force u2 to continue playing live shows when there past their prime
- Doesnt comprise creative stage designs

why would it?

It's the same people they've been working with for almost 20 years.

essentially, nothing has changed.

mooncat said:

why would it?

It's the same people they've been working with for almost 20 years.

essentially, nothing has changed.

It's Interference. Everything's a controversy.

There is a lot of "speculation" in this thread without pointing any fingers...

Lets see...Madonna signed with LiveNation due to the fact she would rather put all her "faith/handling" in the company that makes her the most money. Artists like Madonna and U2 receive a huge majority of their income from touring. LiveNation (touring) gets them the millions while (for Madonna at least) the record labels can't figure out how to sell their music and make them any money.

Why work with a label on album sales (small $$) and have the label demanding a % of concert revenue, than work with the concert promoters who make you millions, and let them figure out how to make more of the music you do want to sell.

I would like to see some FACTS on why this deal seems SOOO bad...One thing I do trust is U2+PM knowing how to make a buck. They certainly seem to know what to do overall as far as business goes...

Back
Top Bottom