Live material or new material for 'b' sides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitty

Babyface
I was listening to the CD singles from ATYCLB today and wondered what other U2 fans prefered as a 'b' side - new material or previously unreleased live material. Personally, I'd prefer to see a balance between both (now if that isn't sitting on the fence, I don't know what is!) What's your preference?

yes, i like new material. with the occasional live stuff thrown in, too. since often times U2 releases at least two versions of every single, it's cool when one version has new stuff, while the other has live stuff.

Remixes bugged me all the time already and not only at U2 singles......
New stuff would definitely be better, but certain live songs like versions of 'The Fly' or 'Mysterious Ways' would be extreme cool b-sides in my opinion.....

1st choice: new
2nd choice: remixes
3rd choice: live (but I collect bootlegs, so it's a bit of a moot point) :huh:

Actually, I like all three.

The "dream" CD single for me would contain the following:

1) Full (or album) version of the a-side song
2) Radio edit of a-side or NEW song
3) NEW song (b-side)
4) remix of a-side
5) a remix of another song
6) live song (of a-side if possible)

This may seem like a lot of songs, but I've encountered CD singles with 6 remixes alone.

I love remixes and always love hearing them on the CD singles. Live songs can be fun, but I usually prefer listening to either a whole concert of one or two VERY specific songs (which usually are not on the CD single). Regardless, I do not feel that live songs or remixes should EVER replace a new song. IMO, U2 have more than enough material to release at least one b-side with every single. I'm willing to wager that most of us would probably rather hear a new b-side that wasn't quite perfect than another remix, radio edit or live song - so U2 doesn't have to be perfect with their b-sides.

I have most of the singles U2 has ever released and I'd have to say that even though there is more excitement when I know a new song will be on it, eventually it's the singles with the live songs that I like the most followed by the remixes. Let me explain. The live songs they select for their singles are very smartly chosen. The songs on the Popheart EP and the live tracks that surfaced with the ATYCLB singles are great stuff. The live versions of BTBS and Love is Blindness that came along with the live format of the Stay single were excellent as well. And who can forget the version of Stay from Toronto on the Stuck/Walk On single (depending on where you live)? Plus North and South of the River, a song which many of you express your love for is live as well. It was recorded at the Omagh tribute. The original version is more electronic and doesn't have the feeling or emotion the live version has. As for remixes, there are good ones and there are out right horrible ones. The POP singles with remixes are guilty of having just utter crap thrown on them. A few remixes shine though, like a few of the Discotheque and MoFo remixes. The IGWSHA remix and the Dirty Day remixes were alright as well. The Lady With the Spinning Head extended dance remix is incredible and the Elevation remixes were awesome as well. Who can deny the Influx remix? I'm not saying he new b-sides are not great as well, but sometimes they get tiring. I love Salome, WDIAGW, Summer Rain, Always, and Big Girls are Best, but they always seem to get old quick. Which is why they are b-sides. Also, we've overlooked the covers. Night and Day, Fortunate Son, Everlasting Love, Paint it Black, Unchained Melody, Dancing Barefoot, amongst others are great tracks. Personally I'd like to see more covers as b-sides. I think U2 could really put out some great versions of some of their favorite songs. Anyway, this got a little longer than I though it would be. So signing off.....

Since Achtung Baby...

U2 doesn't seem to have as much original recordings of B-sides anymore as the 80s (IMHO)....

Zooropa, you had about two and a half (I think): Slow Dancing, I've Got You Under My Skin, HMTMKMKM <---- movie soundtrack

Pop, you had Pop Muzik, Holy Joe, North and South of the River, Happiness Is A Warm Gun <---- a lot of these were remixes tho, except North and South.

Then you have: Stateless, Falling at Your Feet (If Sinatra duet counts, this prolly should too.... oh yeah, then there's Miss Sarejevo

Ok... so there's a lot of B-sides... but TOO MANY REMIX versions...

I always liked the variations of songs when U2 plays live... it's refreshing to hear something other than a straightlaced version of the single record.

Muad'zin said:
New material, but if there is none then go for live stuff instead of those crappy remixes. I refuse to buy any single with remixes as B-sides.

(*clears throat*)

Uh, you don't LIKE remixes?!?
(*redness swells in face*)
(*veins bulge*)

of course I would prefer new material
however it would already be an improvement when - if they put live tacks on there - they mix it up a bit so that I am not left with 8 different live versions Streets

Back
Top Bottom