Listening to Pop...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gherman said:
The problem with POP was the marketing of the whole theme. POP is a bad name and Popmart is even worse. I like it because I get it and what U2 was trying to do... I get the joke. Problem is that the general public didn't get the joke. They were daring with this album and tour. They could have been safe and called it something else and the public probably would have perceived it diferently.
Agreed. I just think that Pop/Popmart are great names. The bad thing is the bad publicity and image created around the theme (media's fault, not U2's fault).

elevated_u2_fan said:
^ I agree with allot of what you say here, I am another fan who did not become a "the U2 guy" as my family, friends and co-workers like to call me, until I heard POP. I was 19 at the time and while I had liked U2 before POP I loved U2 after that...

Because it was the turning point for me personally, I do tend to take it personally when POP gets bashed... I don't really care what people on the forum have to say or even what critics say (although it's true that originally reviews were much more positive)it's the band's attitude that bothers me.

I don't care if you think it's unfinished or not the way you like it, you released it to the public, and in a way it no longer belongs to you, these are my songs now and I have strong associations with almost all of them. I don't know, it's hard to describe I guess...

I do know that this debate will probably never end, which is okay I guess. That is the nature of these type of forums, you have the newbies who show up and want to talk about their thoughts on a subject and you have the regulars who have heard the same argument 100 times over...

I can identify with this. Pop came out when I was in third grade, and it was the first album I truly loved. It took just one listen to Discotheque to make U2 my favourite band. I have so many memories associated with Pop. It's a part of me.

It makes me sad to hear the band pick on Pop, but if that's how they feel, that's how they feel. Doesn't change my opinion of it all.

Do You Feel Loved might be my favourite song of all time. Isn't that mad? It's been the most played song on my iPod for like two years.

POP came out when I was in 7th grade, and I bought it in Key West while I was on vacation with my family.

That whole era for me was the breaking point of truly getting into music. POP did it, and I will always hold it sacred. I love the album, and POPMart was my first concert. You can imagine a 13 year-old walking into Franklin Field in Philadelphia and taking it all in (can't you?). As they came through the crowd to Pop Muzik and climbed on the catwalk and made their way to the stage and played Mofo, my knees were so wobbly, I thought I was going to collapse. It was the most magical moment.

Are you saying the lyrics are shit, or just saying that if they were the song would still be great? Because I love 'em; they're sexy and adult without being vulgar. :drool:

I don't think it's weird that DYFL is one of your favorites, AtomicBono. It's probably somewhere in my top 10.

Listening to Pop, I've noticed that it's one every 2 to 3 seconds and I need to remove it from the microwave.

Allanah said:
Are you saying the lyrics are shit, or just saying that if they were the song would still be great? Because I love 'em; they're sexy and adult without being vulgar. :drool:

agreed! of course as a kid I didn't really know what the lyrics were about, but now... :drool:

there is something about DYFL though...the mood of it... sure it's sexy, but it's also dark... somehow it's this song that can fit any mood for me. It's got a good groove so you can listen to it when you're happy, but I've also let myself get lost in it many times when I'm depressed or upset. I'm never not in the mood to listen to it. I think that's why it's my most played.

i agree with Do You Feel Loved? It's my favorite song of all time too. It's the chorus guys...the way Bono sings "Do you feeeeeeeeeeel loveddddddd" with the edge's guitar. shit man...gives me chills everytime.

Allanah said:
"Even if the lyrics were shit, the instrumental was worthy enough to make the song great."

So... that means I like the lyrics.

Aygo said:
No, it is not. DYFL is one of U2's best songs. Even if the lyrics were shit, the instrumental was worthy enough to make the song great.
I totally agree. Do You Feel Loved and Discotheque were the two songs that I REALLY loved when I heard, not to say that I don't like the Pop album, because I LOVE it. It quickly became one of my favorites when I was in the 5th grade and still is to this day.

It totally irks me when people like to say it's a bad album.

I was already a u2 fan before I ever listened to Pop, but my 1st listen to Pop made me a huge u2 fan. Especially my 1st listen to Mofo. That did it for me. I was absolutely gone from there on out. But Do You Feel Loved is always the 1st song I listen to when I put on the cd, followed by Mofo, then I skip all over the place. Gone is still one of my favorites on the album too. The album still is and always has been in my top 3, and I usually don't listen to more than 2 other u2 albums in a row before I listen to Pop again. Weird thing is though that it also contains my least favorite u2 song. (PM)

And although I like POP's tracklist, there's just one thing that bothers me...

When MOFO ends, I'm always waiting (after 10 years) for another uptempo, or at least, another track that has some of the energy of the previous 3 tracks.
I think that the tracklist could be inversed and fit in Bono's quote "begins in a party and it ends in a funeral".
Maybe put Gone after Mofo (connecting the distorted guitar with Mofo's airplane sounds) and here we'd have the perfect moment to start the midtempo to the downtempo decreasment.

Aygo said:

When MOFO ends, I'm always waiting (after 10 years) for another uptempo, or at least, another track that has some of the energy of the previous 3 tracks.
I think that the tracklist could be inversed and fit in Bono's quote "begins in a party and it ends in a funeral".
Maybe put Gone after Mofo (connecting the distorted guitar with Mofo's airplane sounds) and here we'd have the perfect moment to start the midtempo to the downtempo decreasment.

Are you saying that IGWSHA is too downtempo a song after Mofo? I thought that was intentional. After the chaos of Discotheque, DYFL and Mofo it seems like a "wait! stop and be introspective" kinda moment, with a distant bleak sounding "Nobody else here baby...." :drool:

Aygo said:

What about something like this:

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Gone
Miami
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun
If God Will Send His Angels
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

Kind of like a match - Big flash and burn in the opening and then a slow burn to the end...

The only one I tend to have a problem with is Velvet Dress, while I like the song, it sounds out of place, I'm not sure where else it could go. I love Please -> Dead Man, that has to stay.

I think the main problem with Pop's tracklisting is that we don't get another GOOD song until 4 songs after MOFO ends (Gone).

Lancemc said:
I think the main problem with Pop's tracklisting is that we don't get another GOOD song until 4 songs after MOFO ends (Gone).

:lol: I have to disagree. Cos I lovvve IGWSHA, SATS and LNOE. :drool:

the main problem with pop is that we dont get a good song before sats.

Lancemc said:
The main problem with Pop is that Adam looks ridiculous during the concerts.

By that logic almost all of U2's music would have problems, every band member (yes, even Larry) has had a questionable outfit or two over the years...

Exibit A:

http://forum.interference.com/t172350.html

But I will agree that the metal soup bowl on the head with the dust mask is not the best look...:wink:

Lancemc said:
The main problem with Pop is that Adam looks ridiculous during the concerts.

Ok that made me laugh, but I'll agree, because there's nothing else wrong with Pop! :p

This raises an interesting question (I think):

if U2 had released POP under another title and had done a different tour without all the PopMart glitz and irony or costumes what would be the outcome?

Basically if the whole POP concept never happened and all that was left was just those 12 songs would it still be such a "failure" in the eyes of the public/media/band?

I'm not sure if it would be viewed as a failure exactly. I don't think the album title has nearly as much to do with it as Popmart did, but regardless, it would still be my second least favorite album, so for me, yes it would. :shrug:

elevated_u2_fan said:
This raises an interesting question (I think):

if U2 had released POP under another title and had done a different tour without all the PopMart glitz and irony or costumes what would be the outcome?

Basically if the whole POP concept never happened and all that was left was just those 12 songs would it still be such a "failure" in the eyes of the public/media/band?

This is what I put for my earlier post:

"The problem with POP was the marketing of the whole theme. POP is a bad name and Popmart is even worse. I like it because I get it and what U2 was trying to do... I get the joke. Problem is that the general public didn't get the joke. They were daring with this album and tour. They could have been safe and called it something else and the public probably would have perceived it diferently."

gherman said:
They could have been safe and called it something else and the public probably would have perceived it diferently."

So are you saying they should've been safe?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom