Liam should get his mouth washed with soap ! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2002, 10:16 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Zooropa:
AS far as every saying they are Beatles sound-alikes. You are wrong... I own every Beatles album and every Oasis and there are no songs on them that sounds like exact replicas of Beatles songs.
You own every beatles album and you don't think Oasis and The Beatles sound alike? I'm sorry, but there is no way in the world I can believe either of those statements. Especially the one about you owning all Beatles records. Since you claim to own every Beatles records, you must be a huge fan. Makes sense no? So tell me this, which Beatles song was based on a poster of a traveling circus. Very simple question that any decent Beatles fan would know.

I like Oasis, and one of the reasons I enjoy their music is because it reminds me of the Beatles. This is my opinion, I didn't get this from any Music Magazine. Typical for a POP fan to say such a statement. "If you don't agree with me, then obviosly you are just letting the mass media tell you how to think".

I know what I like and I don't need anyone to tell me what to think.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:00 AM   #22
The Fly

The anwser to your question is "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite." How about that? And yes I do own all their albums, is that so hard to believe?

And POP is a great album and I see no reason why that would have any relevance in this conversation about whether I think Oasis and the Beatles sound the same. And has been stated before by someone, Oasis sounds much, much more like T-Rex than the Beatles.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Zooropa (edited 04-25-2002).]

Old 04-26-2002, 12:48 AM   #23
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
this is yet another extremely effective publicity stunt by the masters of it!
I don't think Oasis will sell 3 more singles because of this

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 04-26-2002, 12:50 AM   #24
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by holyjoe5:
3. "Definitely Maybe" and "What's The Story Morning Glory" are two of the greatest and most influential albums of the 90's!
umm, no
not even in Great Britain

------------------
Salome
Old 04-26-2002, 02:22 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl:
chutzpah?!?

Is that seroiusly a word?
Yes. It's of Hebrew origin, and basically means "to have the gall to do something" or to have "the nerve" to do something.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:22 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
what's so great about this thread is that all of you are honestly taking what Liam says seriously, holy shit, have you people making a big deal about this been living under rocks?? this is yet another extremely effective publicity stunt by the masters of it!
Not too sure about the effectiveness part with I absolutely agree with the rest.

------------------
In this Ozland
Old 04-26-2002, 06:26 AM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by holyjoe5: 3. "Definitely Maybe" and "What's The Story Morning Glory" are two of the greatest and most influential albums of the 90's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome: umm, no
not even in Great Britain
You're right.
Those two albums had zero impact on what happened in British rock in mid-90's.
Nirvana's "Nevermind" wasn't influential either, nor was the The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".
No, they weren't influential at all...

[This message has been edited by holyjoe5 (edited 04-26-2002).]
Old 04-26-2002, 07:16 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
AS far as every saying they are Beatles sound-alikes. You are wrong. I'm sorry, but that whole Beatles thing was just some comment that caught on.

I'm sorry, but YOU are wrong! Don't insinuate that I'm a sheep. I never listened to the press here. I listened for myself. Yep, imagine that - I can think for myself and form my own opinons all without the help of the media.

I remember VERY well when Oasis first came out. The very first song I heard on MTV - as MTV were doing a little special on them - sounded EXACTLY like a Beatles' song, just done in the 90's. Then I saw Liam ranting on and on about how much better they were than the Beatles and how many more copies their album sold the first week in the U.K. as compared to the Beatles' albums (never mind the 25 year time difference). He just slammed the Beatles, almost proclaiming them as garbage as he was simultaneously claiming that Oasis was the best band ever.

Bold claims - I might have even admired his chutzpah, if I didn't see footage of Oasis doing a Beatles' cover tune just a few minutes! How nice of Oasis to cover a band they just slammed! It was at that moment that I realized how much Oasis sounds like the Beatles - not just in their overall sound (as that cover song was near perfect) but in their new songs as well. The new material sounded like Beatles in the 90's.

Could the Beatles have specifically made "Wonderwall?" Maybe, maybe not - but that's not the point. We don't need specifics. It's the overall sound of the song that screams "Beatles!" that convinces me of this claim.

I formed this opinion WELL before the press jumped all over it. Of course, it wasn't just me that felt this way about Oasis - MANY people do, not some token people in the press. Just because the press makes this claim too, it doesn't mean that people don't have their own views.

If Liam or Noel want to rant and rave about the music industry as a whole, I have no problems. However I don't appreciate their often unfounded attacks on their fellow artists. And I am especially annoyed at these attacks when I don't find their music original and I really think they are starting to lose relevance.

Bottom line: If you adore Oasis, great. But don't imply that I'm a sheep following a trend because I don't find Oasis to be that talented.

*edited for grammer only.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 04-26-2002).]
Old 04-26-2002, 07:22 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think it's a bit unfair that Oasis gets singled out and picked on because "they sound like The Beatles". As if there ever was a band that somehow evolved in a sealed glass jar without any musical influences of any kind whatsoever. Sure, some of their songs remind me of The Beatles, but it also has Oasis' own loud and brash personality stamped all over it that doesn't remind me of The Beatles at all.

I like both Oasis and Blur, sadly their respective singers are the wankers I wouldn't wanna touch with a ten-foot pole.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:46 AM   #30
The Fly

IMHO, if it's OK to call Oasis a Beatles cover-band, then it's also justified to claim that U2 have been doing the same song forever, Edge playing the same riff forever etc. etc.

The Beatles are an obvious influence on Oasis, but they are definitely not the only one (or even the biggest one) - I'd go as far as saying that their only influence on Oasis, is the lyrical one.

If you don't agree with me, then listen to bands like T-Rex, Slade and The Jam, and you'll see that those bands have influenced Oasis' sound way more...

On a side-note, if we're getting really technical here (which we obviously don't want), The Beatles are probably, in a way or another, an influence on every band out there trying to write a piece of melody!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:14 AM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:25 PM
I think the opinion of Oasis being a Beatles cover band is a crock of steamy pile of poo. They are influenced, no doubt. But as people said, they are influenced by several other bands as well and have managed to fuse those influences together to make something their own. And I don't have that many Beatles' albums compared to super Beatles' fans, but I know one thing... the Beatles' were never really as loud or as raucous as Oasis.

When Oasis did the cover of "I Am The Walrus,"... it may have been an okay cover but it defintely did not sound like the Beatles' version of it from Magical Mystery.

Oh yeah, Liam is an arrogant, obnoxious prick who likes to make controversial statements in order to market himself/ Oasis. Part of Oasis' reputation is to make brash statements. Almost punk rock in their attitude towards authority. I think that is part of their appeal and people seem to expect it. So Liam making these statements are expected IMO and part of the philosophy he seems to live (and it has worked in the past in terms of their UK popularity - the obnoxiousness that is).

I quote...

"Let's get down to Beatles, here. We're not saying we're better than the Beatles. But we are more of a band than the Beatles..."

"And when we were sixteen, we didn't think, 'Oh let's not be the Beatles.' I thought, 'Fuck the Beatles, fuck the Rolling Stones.' They have been our musical idols, but every band in the world thinks it's better than the Beatles. They are the blueprint. And we are fans a in awe of their music, but we're not reverent. It'd be childish of us to say that we're better than the Beatles, or we're worse than the Beatles. I'm just saying we're more of a band."

In these words is some of the attitude of Oasis IMO. They may be childish but that is primarily Liam and he is a prick. They love the Beatles but not to the point of being sycophants.

Also those above quotes are from Bono. So my gosh Bono said U2 was more of a band then the Beatles! Say that to some Beatles fans and you'll get your head ripped off.

Morning Glory was huge in America and Oasis is supposedly vey big worldwide as well. Europe and Japan. So the Creed/ Dave Matthews Band popularity comparisons don't fit. I remember Be Here Now selling poorly in the US and well world wide, that is for sure.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 04-26-2002).]
Old 04-26-2002, 09:33 AM   #32
Kid A

Local Time: 05:25 PM
no salome? now everyone who mentions this story will mention that Oasis has a new single, it puts Oasis back in the spotlight, maybe you don't think it will sell them records, but neither would obscurity
Old 04-26-2002, 10:43 AM   #33
you are what you is

true

------------------
Salome
Old 04-26-2002, 10:56 AM   #34
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by holyjoe5:
You're right.
Those two albums had zero impact on what happened in British rock in mid-90's.
I really can't think of that many bands who have been influenced by Oasis (compared to all the Radiohead clones that have appeared)
but I don't follow it that closely so maybe it's just me

the Oasis - Blur battle was fun though

------------------
Salome
Old 04-26-2002, 11:00 AM   #35
The Fly

Quote:
And POP is a great album and I see no reason why that would have any relevance in this conversation about whether I think Oasis and the Beatles sound the same
I still don't believe you own every beatles record

You ask me why the POP issue is relevant. I didn't bring up POP initially, you did.

Why does everyone defend Liam like he's a god. He's an arrogant Talentless Son Of Bitch. Noel is the real talen in the band. If Noel had a better voice, there would be absolutely no need for Liam.

When Liam bitches about U2 and anything NON-Oasis-Liam related, people say: "it's ok, he's right, he's a god."

But when it's Henry Rollins saying something about U2: "He deserves to burn in hell!"

And I still think Oasis and The Beatles sound alike!
Old 04-26-2002, 12:56 PM   #36
The Fly

I am in no way saying that Liam is a god, in any form or fashion. I don't particularly agree with many things he says because, frankly, he talks a lot of shit. Obviously Noel is the brains behind the band, although Liam has picked up in the song writing area.

My initial point (probably in another thread, i have begun to mix these Liam thread up) had to do with Liam saying that U2 was in it for the money. His point was that U2 decided to stay and play shows even though Bono's dad was dying. His take on it is that since they stuck around and played their shows, U2 must be in it for the money because in his opinion the correct decision would have been to be at his father's side the whole time and forget about the shows. I think I wrote about all this in another post about Liam's bad mouth already. I am sure Liam still has respect for Bono and U2 and loves their music and live show, but just doesn't agree with their personal politics.

And I still don't think Oasis sounds like The Beatles, although they take heavily from them lyrically and idea wise. Their sound is totally different. Also, I am sorry if I offend a few of with my first post. I probably came off as an asshole, I am sorry. Please excuse my poor word choice.
Peace.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:30 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky:

> That cunt is
like, 'Is
> there a bandwagon passing? Park it outside my house.'
I don't care too much for Liam's antics, but that phrase is hilarious! I'm definitely borrowing it...

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart
Old 05-01-2002, 09:40 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Money-orientated???
Old 05-02-2002, 12:51 AM   #39
The Fly

I just rediscovered Oasis after 3 years, and man, they put out great records.

I get the feeling Liam was just bullshitting.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 05-01-2002).]
Old 05-02-2002, 09:58 AM   #40
War Child

The press are great at making fire outta shit, this is all crap, either that or he said it while drunk and laughing his ass off! I remember him and his bro were at the same london gig as me, and I heard a comment from them afterwards saying it was one of the finest gigs and performances by any band they had ever seen.