Levitate Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
Just heard Levitate for the first time. It's a great tune. From what I understand, it was recorded during the ATYCLB sessions, but was left off the album. It sounds much different than the other stuff on the album, so I can understand why it was left off ATYCLB, but the song is intriguing. It's an epic tune, kind of a close cousin to Zooropa and Mercy - great stuff. To me, it's definitely in the U2 top ten list for this decade, even if it has only been issued digitally thus far (iTunes).

yeah, well done on your 'obscure taste'...

:wink:

seriously though, excellent track! Can't get enough of it!

Yeah, I definitely see the similarities with Mercy too. It's something you have to listen to a few times before it starts to sink in...there's a lot going on...

better than most songs on ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

an absolute crime this wasn't a single.

what are they thinking sometimes???

Actually Edge said that Levitate is a left over from POP. It´s in the digital booklet The Complete U2, page 33. I´ll copy what he said:
"Songs like Levitate from the POP sessions which just don´t fit in". Surely it couldn´t fit in ATYCLB, no doubt. Btw, I love the song, really, my fave from those Unreleased & Rare.

MT

follower said:
Actually Edge said that Levitate is a left over from POP. It´s in the digital booklet The Complete U2, page 33. I´ll copy what he said:
"Songs like Levitate from the POP sessions which just don´t fit in". Surely it couldn´t fit in ATYCLB, no doubt. Btw, I love the song, really, my fave from those Unreleased & Rare.

MT

Some version of the digital booklet credit it to the Pop sessions, and others credit it to the ATYCLB sessions.

But, in the fall, 2000 Rolling Stone interview, Bono mentions it as a song that almost made ATYCLB.

starvinmarvin said:
Jack In The Box and Joshua87, you've got mail!

Enjoy!!!

Starvinmarvin, can you do me a massive favour and send it to me as well?!

Many thanks!

I HATE 'Smile', after hearing Levitate I was bloody appalled at that track, just dull...

I've always heard Levitate with the feeling of ALTYCB. It sounds like the last breath of Pop.

Back
Top Bottom