letter from larry @ u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An open letter from Larry Mullen
This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation.

There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't.

I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn't get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own web site is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that.

If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience.

Slainte
Larry.

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse
U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

-- This is very good news. I'm glad I've got insomnia to be reading this. Looks like there's hope of getting some GA love in the fall.

U2utah2U said:
An open letter from Larry Mullen

<snip>

I thought that FOAD was just one word?

:D

I was e mailed it. I was so upset that I didn't get tickets that I cancelled mu subscription straight away. :sad:

It is not U2's fault though, I still love them :wink:

I like that ending below the signature. :up:

On the other hand, think this is really him writing? I could see Bono or Edge say something, but Larry? :confused:

Nice letter, but ...

U2utah2U said:
The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined.

Fuck that. So now even Larry supports superiorism by age/length of membership? Here I was, thinking all fans were equal.

Axver said:
Nice letter, but ...

Fuck that. So now even Larry supports superiorism by age/length of membership? Here I was, thinking all fans were equal.

Purely from the point of fairness I guess its the best option, although not ideal. I guess its like frequency flyer points, you award those who have invested in you the most first...:shrug:

Axver said:
Nice letter, but ...

Theres over 200,000 members at U2.com now. I'm not aware of how many are paid members but I recall a while ago a remark that they were 100,000 paid members. Some sort of priority order needs to be established.

Going by a sort of length of service seems to be the least unfair method. What other methods are there? Alphabetical order?

Any method is not going to be fair to someone. I was never a member of Propaganda because the financial exchange rate made membership not financially viable for me personally, but thems the brakes.

I'm just pleased they have taken the situation and addressed it. The presale was a stuff up, many people missed out on tickets, but now a remedy is in place, and this kind of situation shouldn't occur again.

Ha, that was fantastic. The only person I never would have expected to hear something from is the one that comes through.

I realize that some people will just never be satisfied until there is some sort of public flogging, well as the now famous line goes....I only have two words for you.

I can't wait to see the reaction to this. It will be interesting to see what people come up with to give this negative spin. I mean come on we have some real pros at that within our midst.

And Axver, don't worry, I really think whatever they try to do, it will be fair to everyone. Are you coming back to NA in the fall anyway? You're doing GA in Boston :wink: , please you should be celebrating from now until May, you're going to have a blast. NOTHING SHOULD BRING YOU DOWN. ;)

i think it's fair that people who have been members of propaganda and u2.com the longest should get choice for tickets first. having paid the most money over the years and been loyal members of propaganda rather than those who just joined u2.com last minute only for tickets.

This was such a pleasant surprise to wake up to this morning. Sometimes patience and faith pay off.
And yeah, I totally didn't expect Larry to ever say anything about it...

ramblin rose said:
And Axver, don't worry, I really think whatever they try to do, it will be fair to everyone. Are you coming back to NA in the fall anyway? You're doing GA in Boston :wink: , please you should be celebrating from now until May, you're going to have a blast. NOTHING SHOULD BRING YOU DOWN. ;)

You most certainly speak the truth! :) I guess I'm just ranting about the principle, as I desire an equal playing field that doesn't favour one fan over another (or if it does, favours those who worship Lovetown :wink:). I don't suppose figures were released of the number of Propaganda subscribers? Someone on LiveJournal raised the legitimate point that it's doubtful there's enough Propaganda members to take away a sizeable number of good tickets from other members.

But anyway. I guess it's a minor point. The rest of what Larry wrote was brilliant, especially the end, and I do admire the attempts to rectify this situation, even if I'm not so keen on some of what's being done. I will hopefully be returning for the third leg - my father will throw a fit when he finds out, but he'll throw a fit when he finds out a lot of things so that's no concern of mine. I'm very much looking forward to the company of good friends with good music in a foreign country. It doesn't get much better than that!

*mouth drops open*

(really, i'm serious this time)

:shocked:

Well feck me. I didn't see that coming.
As for those two words... i'm happy assuming that they're something along the lines of 'hug me'

I don't agree with the ending. He admits himself that U2 had some involvement in this whole process, so to go and tell U2 fans who were suspicious or angry at them to 'two words' off seems a little conceited.

I'm good that one of them stepped up like this off of their own back, although I would never have expected it to have been Larry.

Last edited:
The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

I've been completely quiet during this whole thing but I'll be pissed if this is the case. For I was a member of Propaganda and they "lost my records" so I got one little magazine and then had to repay 40 just to get snubbed on tickets.

...Larry Mullen :D said:

--

that's the point: well said :) ...there are many of this self-defining U2 fans also here in this community: i'm glad i'm not in that category.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I've been completely quiet during this whole thing but I'll be pissed if this is the case. For I was a member of Propaganda and they "lost my records" so I got one little magazine and then had to repay 40 just to get snubbed on tickets.

Yep, same here. I'm not going to complain too much, since I miraculously got tickets with my presale code, but I still don't enjoy the prospect of getting screwed with the fall tickets like I did with the membership fee. I love that Larry sent out this email and that they're going to try to solve the problems with ticketing, but it's too bad they never acknowledged, much less solved, the problem with former Prop members getting left out in the cold.

In that light, I'd like to ask any former Prop member who didn't originally get their code, but eventually received it, what they did in order to get it. As in, who did you email, what did you say, etc. I'm still not giving up hope that I can get them to acknowledge me as a Prop member. Anyway, thanks to anyone who is willing to share.

beau2ifulday said:
*mouth drops open*

I don't agree with the ending. He admits himself that U2 had some involvement in this whole process, so to go and tell U2 fans who were suspicious or angry at them to 'two words' off seems a little conceited.

I think the point is that there are fans out there (no names) who made some pretty strong statements that U2 was only interested in screwing fans for as much money as possible, whatever way possible.

I think Larrys response in the ending is a fair indication of what the band thinks of those people, which is fair enough to me. There has been a lot of hysterical reactions/posts going on here that have been over the top in relation to fans trying to get tickets. Hopefully Larrys message will explain to all what happened.

I guess the fact that some people questioned U2's integrity in the first place was enough to get Larry to make the ending he did make. And why not? I really think if fans think U2 are just interested in the money aspect then they don't know the band, the ethics of the band members or what they stand for very well.

Last edited:
It was fun to receive that email from Larry Mullen Jr. this morning.
And actually, I'm not at all surprised that it's Larry who's responding to this. He's always been heavily involved in the merchandising/tour side of the business. And when we were told recently that a particular member of the band was working closely on the tour planning, I immediately assumed it was Larry.
(Also, I couldn't really imagine it being any of the other three!)

I don't think that the Propaganda membership was too large. I joined in 1995 and I was number 12000 and something. Even if they tripled membership in 10 years it would only amount to 36000, which is small when scattered over the US or world. I don't know if my member ID was a US only or world wide numbering system. :shrug:

Sadly I moved in the last couple of years. I let Prop know that I moved, but the database was a little old... so we'll see. I sent an email to someone that's supposed to be in the know. I found the email address in another thread.

This letter is great! :lol: I laughed when I read that last bit. I'm a little worried about the priority for Prop members, just because I wasn't in a financial position to ever join Prop and this will be my first chance ever to see them live. I just want a shot at good seats.

Axver said:

Someone on LiveJournal raised the legitimate point that it's doubtful there's enough Propaganda members to take away a sizeable number of good tickets from other members.

This is probably true anyway, and I'm sure the guys will be as fair as possible to all the fans.

"By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...
"

Larry took that last few words out of my mouth. It made me laugh and wanted to shove that quote down to a few fan's throats ;) for quickly accusing U2 of wrong doing. (No offence but I got really really annoyed but held my cool and been very patient)

I've always had faith in them regardless. We're all human and we make mistakes. Doesn't mean U2 can't make one either.

beau2ifulday said:
*mouth drops open*

(really, i'm serious this time)

:shocked:

Well feck me. I didn't see that coming.
As for those two words... i'm happy assuming that they're something along the lines of 'hug me'

I'm good that one of them stepped up like this off of their own back, although I would never have expected it to have been Larry.

That's not how I interpreted it.

He admits fault - but it's the equivalent of saying that you misplanned or miscounted. They probably didn't anticipate the enormous response they are receiving. Add to that any possible personal issues (like the illness rumor) that could have led to cancelled shows and the demand for tickets became even higher. So clearly they weren't as prepared as hoped.

But that's not to say that they were unseemly. Some "fans" have been tearing into U2 saying how they are "greedy" and "sold out" and on and on simply because these fans didn't get tickets. One moment, they are buying every little U2 item they can - the next they are disparaging U2 because they didn't get their dream tickets that they so "deserved". :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I think Larry had every right to end his note that way. It's really insulting - but then, I've found many U2 fans to be this way. There are some brilliant ones out there, but many are as fickle as a teenager's mood.

So do you all think they`ll start with a clean slate and give everyone a code again in the fall leg? Or will those who used their code already not be given another chance? (I know what U2.com said last week but the band may have changed their mind on that)

If they don`t issue new codes to everyone in the fall, they`ll have to sort those who used codes from those who didn`t and then make sure that it`s in priority sequence. Logistically, it would probably be easier for them to just issue everyone a new code again come fall.

doctorwho said:

But that's not to say that they were unseemly. Some "fans" have been tearing into U2 saying how they are "greedy" and "sold out" and on and on simply because these fans didn't get tickets. One moment, they are buying every little U2 item they can - the next they are disparaging U2 because they didn't get their dream tickets that they so "deserved". :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I think Larry had every right to end his note that way. It's really insulting - but then, I've found many U2 fans to be this way. There are some brilliant ones out there, but many are as fickle as a teenager's mood.

Yeah, I get you.
I just want to add that my mouth dropping open was not in shock at what was being said in the letter, but more in shock of the fact that there actually was a letter (the unexpectedness of it). I agree with him on much of what he said, the ending just irked me a little. That said, your perspective on it does make it seem a little more justified. Cheers :up:

Considering the discord the pre-sale created, U2.com is taking the correct approach to rectify the situation.

This is truly a fan club that cares about the fans.

Back
Top Bottom