letter from larry @ u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramblin rose said:

On the subscribe page of u2.com it now says:

http://www.u2.com/subscribe/

"Please Note: Due to unprecedented demand, we are unable to offer new U2.Com Subscribers any presale opportunity to purchase tickets for the Vertigo 2005 Tour."

You beat me to it. That message has been up for a little while. Its been upsetting fellow Australians. Quite a few people have been waiting for the announcement of the Australian dates before subscribing to u2.com in case U2 tour Australia in 2006 and then a subscription for 2006 may be required to be part of a presale. Maybe. Dunno. I joined when it first opened and will stay a member for as long as the currency exchange rate permits.

jick said:
So U2 admitted they were at fault, unlike other fans who insist U2 are clean.
Larry's letter is not about admitting U2 themselves were at fault for anything and this has nothing to do with insisting U2 is 'clean'. It has to do with being rational enough to separate the business of U2 from the band. This letter pretty much confirms what I've been thinking all along which is that U2 themselves have not been directly involved in the ticketing process. Their organization has been running that part of things but after everything got all mucked up the band members themselves are going to take a more active role like they did in the early days. This is good news and I commend them for doing so but I certainly don't blame them for not being involved in every aspect of the business side of the band. That's why they have a manager and a management team. Those are the people who caused this mess not the four members of U2. There is a difference between U2 the band and U2 the organization. I'm sure that Larry's frustration stems from some fans (and you do know who you are) being incapable of separating the band from the business. Blame Paul McGuinness. He's the guy running the business of U2. Don't blame the band.
jick said:
And I am all with him for all those fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour - these so-called fans should be put on their proper place.
Hello kettle, this is the pot. You're black.

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
Larry's last remark is childish and unnacessary.

The letter and the refund are the least "minimum" U2 can do.

I thought that initially too, but he might have meant his tone to be more joking than pissed-off. It's so hard to read shades of meaning into words when you can't hear a voice - and Larry just doesn't seem to be the type to use smilies!

Anyway, I'm pretty darn happy. I'm a little confused as to whether or not I'm eligible for a refund or not (I never even tried to use my code because I was waiting for the third leg) but I'm thinking it might be worth it to try my luck in a future presale after all, since they seem really sincere now about trying to fix things. I was never a Prop member, so I know I won't be first in line, but I believe it is totally fair they should have first crack.

Heck, just being able to say I got an e-mail from Larry Mullen Jr. is almost worth $40 alone! :wink: ,

"Larry just doesn't seem to be the type to use smilies!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That made me laugh so much, Bono's shades!! -- Yes, i am childish! :giggle:

You DA MAN Larry!

I laughed so hard when I saw the ending of the letter and honestly, I wanted to say those two "more than friendly" words to a few U2 fans out there who were quick to bash at them.

I'm all for what Larry said in the letter. In my opinion, I think people should just calm down and rethink this whole thing instead of quick to act against them.

But it seems like no one seems to understand the word "patience" at all... Oh well.

Good job Larry!

Re: You DA MAN Larry!

CDragon said:
I laughed so hard when I saw the ending of the letter and honestly, I wanted to say those two "more than friendly" words to a few U2 fans out there who were quick to bash at them.

I'm all for what Larry said in the letter. In my opinion, I think people should just calm down and rethink this whole thing instead of quick to act against them.

But it seems like no one seems to understand the word "patience" at all... Oh well.

Good job Larry!

Very few here had patience. There was 1 guy who proudly sold all his U2 cds. Guy's got good life skills.

MrBrau1 said:
I'm quite happy Larry told many people in this forum to "Fuck Off." They deserve it.

I was going to tell the bashers to F.O.A.D. and slap them silly (and they deserve every damn bit of it!)

but I digress...

Re: Re: You DA MAN Larry!

MrBrau1 said:

Very few here had patience. There was 1 guy who proudly sold all his U2 cds. Guy's got good life skills.

and doesn't seem like he's having much success isn't he ;)

Great to hear from Larry. I didn't like the two word thing at the end though; whthere it is right or wrong he should understand how upset some fans were. I hope they institute a "will call" only policy. That would really help matters. I do applaud Larry and U2 taking responsibilty, because after all, the buck stops with them. I have a feeling this incident has done some PR damage to them which is unfortunate, but they should have known that a Ticketmaster presale was certainly not the way to go.

But to me, the real villains in this is the amatuer scalpers on ebay. If you go to ebay and look up tix in your area, you will see that many, many sellers don't even live in the area that the concert is being held. That is why people couldn't get tix, and why the presale servers froze. I like the idea of priority goping to Propaganda members (I have been one for 10 years), but really a "will call"only p/u for fanclub members is the best way to insure that scalpers are not buying presale tix. This is the easiest, best remedy IMO.

Re: Re: You DA MAN Larry!

MrBrau1 said:

yes, I see your point. however:
let's make a very CLEAR distiction between the types of fans that complained.

1. the type like the guy that sold his cd's or whatever/ those who had less than 100 posts here and were calling them every name in the book/ those who can't wait to tear down u2 and everything because they won't stand for 1 slip up.

2. the type like myself, who's been a fan for 21 years (shit I'm old:huh: ) who joined u2.com out of love and respect for this band's incredible live concert experience and thought this way would be easier than sleeping on the sidewalk all night in 6 degree temperatures to get back of the arena seats for $80 a piece, but who only found out they got fucked for $400 for those same seats AFTER they were told their seats were side of the stage, and who can't take part in any presales anymore and whatever.

Larry, you guys are doing the right thing, and I have never lost my faith in you guys ever. your music has meant more to me in my life than you could ever imagine.
but some of us have a right to complain about our hard earned money that was basically swindled. (yes, swindled, because if I bought a car from a dealership and later that afternoon they gave me a different, less valuable car instead, and said there's nothing they can do about it because the financing department screwed up, but the financing department blamed it on the management, management blamed it on the sales rep, etc.: that's getting swindled).
funny thing about super sucessful people: when shit goes wrong, people take it out on the guy in the papers, not the the poor slob in the office who screwed it up.

The guy who was so quick to tear down U2 and sell all of his U2 cds probably owned 2 cds, one of them being a Best Of and I bet the other beign a burned copy of the new album. I doubt that person was a fan.

Yay! i applaud Larry..thank you Larry!
I can't say i'm very surprised tho, i knew U2 would do something about the whole mess sooner or later.
I also laughed when i read the ending...haha!

Zootomic said:

Larry's letter is not about admitting U2 themselves were at fault for anything and this has nothing to do with insisting U2 is 'clean'. It has to do with being rational enough to separate the business of U2 from the band. This letter pretty much confirms what I've been thinking all along which is that U2 themselves have not been directly involved in the ticketing process. Their organization has been running that part of things but after everything got all mucked up the band members themselves are going to take a more active role like they did in the early days. This is good news and I commend them for doing so but I certainly don't blame them for not being involved in every aspect of the business side of the band. That's why they have a manager and a management team. Those are the people who caused this mess not the four members of U2. There is a difference between U2 the band and U2 the organization. I'm sure that Larry's frustration stems from some fans (and you do know who you are) being incapable of separating the band from the business. Blame Paul McGuinness. He's the guy running the business of U2. Don't blame the band.

Dude or dudette... Larry CLEARLY said that U2 was at fault for some of the mess in his little letter. Why are people even denying culpability of the band when Larry even admits it is beyond me. :huh:

Last edited:
JOFO... I feel for you. I find it funny that people are lumping all the complainers in one group. Some people, from what I've read on this forum and around, had legitimate complaints and IMO JOFO's complaints are legitimate and JOFO is an Interference regular to boot. It's one thing to dismiss the poor schlub who thinks they "DESERVE" GA tickets and another thing to get a seating chart switched on them with crap tickets and then not be able to get an opportunity for "proper" tickets.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: You DA MAN Larry!

JOFO said:

yes, I see your point. however:
let's make a very CLEAR distiction between the types of fans that complained.

1. the type like the guy that sold his cd's or whatever/ those who had less than 100 posts here and were calling them every name in the book/ those who can't wait to tear down u2 and everything because they won't stand for 1 slip up.

2. the type like myself, who's been a fan for 21 years (shit I'm old:huh: ) who joined u2.com out of love and respect for this band's incredible live concert experience and thought this way would be easier than sleeping on the sidewalk all night in 6 degree temperatures to get back of the arena seats for $80 a piece, but who only found out they got fucked for $400 for those same seats AFTER they were told their seats were side of the stage, and who can't take part in any presales anymore and whatever.

You're right. You got shafted, and have ever right to bitch. As did alot of people. After all, the complaining we did to U2.com and others got the reaction we wanted.

Re: Re: Re: Re: You DA MAN Larry!

MrBrau1 said:

You're right. You got shafted, and have ever right to bitch. As did alot of people. After all, the complaining we did to U2.com and others got the reaction we wanted.

It makes me feel good to know that over the past few days, U2 has responded with the U2.com apology and attempts to mend fences. Larry coming around and apologizing/ acknowledging the problems to fans is a nice bonus. Makes me feel better about the band.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You DA MAN Larry!

Flying FuManchu said:

It makes me feel good to know that over the past few days, U2 has responded with the U2.com apology and attempts to mend fences. Larry coming around and apologizing/ acknowledging the problems to fans is a nice bonus. Makes me feel better about the band.

Me too. Being the "blind fan" that I am, I knew they would do something. Getting some people GA tix, apologizing, and offering refunds sets it right with me. It also brought out the true colors of many people here. The term "real fan" actually has meaning now.

ultraviolet353 said:
Great to hear from Larry. I didn't like the two word thing at the end though; whthere it is right or wrong he should understand how upset some fans were.

Well you gotta understand that the band is also frustrated when their servers crashed. And then you have all these furiated fans start personally bashing at them over "one computer glitch" from the pre-sales fiasco.

I think Larry doesn't take any shit at all and that's why he told off some fans. I'm sure the band is working hard to resolve these issues. He's got every damned right to say that quote on the last line because I'm sure any of you would get really ticked off if someone starts insulting you, bashing at you over one mistake that he or she has no control over of. I've been there before, and I'm sure others have.

Its not the matter if its right or wrong, he's just frustrated.

Fans here were saying the whole thing was a scam, not a mistake. That U2 were in bed w/ brokers/scalpers and their only concern was $. Those are the fans he's telling to fuck off.

MrBrau1 said:
Fans here were saying the whole thing was a scam, not a mistake. That U2 were in bed w/ brokers/scalpers and their only concern was $. Those are the fans he's telling to fuck off.

Bingo. I thought this was quite clear. Why aren't people getting this?

I'm thinking of changing my signature from its current nothingness to

"U2.com subscription date is in International Format. This message has been repeated many many many times so shut the fuck up dickhead!!!!!"

What do you reckon? :slant:

beli said:
I'm thinking of changing my signature from its current nothingness to

"U2.com subscription date is in International Format. This message has been repeated many many many times so shut the fuck up dickhead!!!!!"

What do you reckon? :slant:

I'll use one of my Grandfather's favorite sayings:

"no reason not to"

Back
Top Bottom