letter from larry @ u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I guess I'm just ranting about the principle, as I desire an equal playing field that doesn't favour one fan over another

I understand your viewpoint. However, giving Propaganda subscribers first shot is probably the best way to weed out the scalpers. Plus, they've been contributing the longest; I think that's the idea.

Me, I didn't join U2.com because I just "knew" something wasn't going to work, and unfortunately, I was proved right. :( (That, and I rarely have $40 to spare!) I guess I'll have to rely on luck and timing to get decent tickets (if I can even go to a show). :sigh:

doctorwho said:

They probably didn't anticipate the enormous response they are receiving.

do they know they're in U2?

so, will everyone who used their codes for tickets be issued new codes? that is the sense that I am getting.

however, in another sense, it seems to be the band might be going back to the old system of giving tickets through the regular old mail system.

when he speaks on giving preferential treatment to older subscribers, the only way, that I can see, is to do it the smail-mail way. you can't really give preferential treatment through codes i dont believe. i suspect they might be reverting to the old system.

Sue DeNym said:

I understand your viewpoint. However, giving Propaganda subscribers first shot is probably the best way to weed out the scalpers. Plus, they've been contributing the longest; I think that's the idea.

Yeah. I think giving prop subscribers prioriy make sense, but given the fiasco with prop members not getting their due that this isn't quite fair. I mean, I'm not sure what they could do instead, but it does bother me that they're not really addressing this.

JOFO said:

do they know they're in U2?

Yes, but they probably set aside tickets based on their past experiences, which were through Propaganda. Propaganda was around for a LONG time (mid-80's) - so it's not like fans didn't know about it. Based on how many Propaganda subscribers there were in the past, U2 probably set the corresponding amount of tickets aside for U2.com members.

However, U2.com membership unexpectedly took off. Of course, we've since learned that many of those subscriptions were from scalpers - funny how scalpers never used Propaganda this way. U2 then rearranged their schedule (for whatever reason). As such, the demand for tickets was overwhelming.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Yeah. I think giving prop subscribers prioriy make sense, but given the fiasco with prop members not getting their due that this isn't quite fair. I mean, I'm not sure what they could do instead, but it does bother me that they're not really addressing this.

What more do you want?

They are offering you a full refund if you desire.

They are looking into the unscrupulous characters who abused U2.com's membership drive (as I wrote in the post above, I'm surprised scalpers never abused Propaganda this way in the past) and trying to end auctions on eBay or void tickets.

They've taken tickets back from ETS to give to fans who missed out.

They are allowing fans to use their code again for the fall tour.

The only fair way, IMO, is to allow Propaganda subscribers the first chance to get tickets. If you weren't a Propaganda subscriber, I'm sorry - but it's not like it was new. Some have been subscribers for a decade or more! I think it's fair these people - long term fans who have also been members of the fan club for so long - be the ones entitled to tickets first.

So again, what more do you want?

doctorwho said:

I'm surprised scalpers never abused Propaganda this way in the past

Propaganda would have been too much work for scalpers. The only way to know about it was to use the mailing address on the inside of U2's CDs, and scalpers are too busy ripping off fans to listen to the music. Plus, Propaganda was pretty strict on ticket limits, and they had your address right there on the hand-written form -- unlike the Internet, which is anonymous.

I wonder that should they tour again off another album, that u2 will even attempt another pre-sale.

I'm very happy with all the things U2 have done to help rectify the screw up, and its really nice to have an open letter from Larry. But I get the feeling they won't put themselves in this position any longer, which will suck for us. Then again, I may not really blame them either. They got some serious heat (both deserved and undeserved).

elfyx said:
I wonder that should they tour again off another album, that u2 will even attempt another pre-sale.

I'm very happy with all the things U2 have done to help rectify the screw up, and its really nice to have an open letter from Larry. But I get the feeling they won't put themselves in this position any longer, which will suck for us. Then again, I may not really blame them either. They got some serious heat (both deserved and undeserved).
[/QUOTE

how are they rectifying the situation? are they going to give us all new codes or is that still unclear?

I'm happy about this. Having spent good money on Prop and then U2.com over the years, I believe this is a fair exchange.

Given that I am not going to a show until leg 3, I was hoping something would sort itself out and it seems like there's a step in the right direction being made.

:up:

doctorwho said:

What more do you want?

They are offering you a full refund if you desire.

They are looking into the unscrupulous characters who abused U2.com's membership drive (as I wrote in the post above, I'm surprised scalpers never abused Propaganda this way in the past) and trying to end auctions on eBay or void tickets.

They've taken tickets back from ETS to give to fans who missed out.

They are allowing fans to use their code again for the fall tour.

The only fair way, IMO, is to allow Propaganda subscribers the first chance to get tickets. If you weren't a Propaganda subscriber, I'm sorry - but it's not like it was new. Some have been subscribers for a decade or more! I think it's fair these people - long term fans who have also been members of the fan club for so long - be the ones entitled to tickets first.

So again, what more do you want?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I actually was a Prop subscriber. What I want is them to acknowledge this and give me the benefits that other Prop subscribers have. Also, they must be aware of the problems that some former subscribers had. In light of that, it seems a *little* unfair to give Prop members an advantage. Like, I said, I don't know if there is a better way, but it still feels unfair to me.

I should say that I think they've been great in trying to resolve the ticketing problems and make it up to members, especially with the email today from Larry. I don't want to come off like I'm ungrateful for that, because I'm not. I don't know of may bands (especially bands of their popularity) who would do what they have. But this is one issue that they really haven't addressed. I know they can't solve everyone's problems, but that doesn't change the fact that this kind of sucks for me.

I just hope they use proper Prop lists, and not that hack list they came upon when they mailed the codes out, or there will be many of us screwed again.

anitram said:
I just hope they use proper Prop lists, and not that hack list they came upon when they mailed the codes out, or there will be many of us screwed again.

That's what I'm worried about. What I think is going to happen, unfortunately, is that the "former Prop members" will consist of the people who are signed up as such on u2.com now.

I think the Prop idea is all good and great with one little catch. . .those of us who have been loyal Prop subscribers with paid to date memberships and U2.com didn't send us our discount code. . .thus eliminating us from the Propaganda priority tix.

Another thing, they said from the get-go that Prop subscribers who subscribed to U2.com would get priority opportunities and apparently that didn't happen on the first rounds of pre-sales -- every U2.com subscriber had the same opportunity as good or as bad as it was.

Prop subscribers should have priority as mentioned in many other posts, they are the loyal ticket buyers and can easily be distinguised from the trashy ticket broker and scalper organizations.

Holy crap!
I just wandered over to U2.com to check out the reaction over there and I just have to ask what the hell is wrong with some people? The cynicism is like a nasty rash that keeps spreading! Good lord, people, if we don't make a conscious effort to turn the mood around, the affected body part's gonna get infected and fall off!

:uhoh: Um, now that I got that out of my system...
IMO, Larry, or any other member didn't really have to make a statement, but something needed to be done about the whole presale mess for the remaining legs of the tour. The fact that Larry's name is attached to this message and that we know he's involved in the ticketing aspect of the tour makes me feel... well, like the fans of this band really are being taken care of moreso than other bands.
Yes, this letter didn't answer all of our questions, but he said he's working on it so give the guy a chance! He's also kinda got a tour to get ready for!
So, to sum up, he didn't hafta say something, but he did and that makes him cooler in my eyes than before.
:up:

I know what you mean. But I'm actually shocked at the reaction of some of the other boards too. What do people think? They can bad mouth, make all sorts of sinister implications about the band the they're supposed to take it? Larry's last remark was not about the complaining about the presale it was about the questioning the bands integrity.

I think someone on the News forum here said it best. If you think the Fuck Off or Fuck You was directed at you then it probably was.

This gets funnier by the minute.

Mullen has always been a class act in my book. This is the apology we have all been waiting for - not from the fansite or from management, but from the band.

And he did admit this:

"Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't."

So U2 admitted they were at fault, unlike other fans who insist U2 are clean. I commend Mullen for his efforts to communicate to the fans. And I am all with him for all those fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour - these so-called fans should be put on their proper place.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
And I am all with him for all those fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour - these so-called fans should be put on their proper place.

Cheers,

J

:lmao:

jick said:
I commend Mullen for his efforts to communicate to the fans. And I am all with him for all those fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour - these so-called fans should be put on their proper place.

Cheers,

J

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

jick said:
Mullen has always been a class act in my book. This is the apology we have all been waiting for - not from the fansite or from management, but from the band.

And he did admit this:

"Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't."

So U2 admitted they were at fault, unlike other fans who insist U2 are clean. I commend Mullen for his efforts to communicate to the fans. And I am all with him for all those fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour - these so-called fans should be put on their proper place.

Cheers,

J

Jick,

I really agree with most of your posts but didn`t I hear you saying something else a few days ago....or am I getting paranoid ?

:huh:

question: do you have to be a U2.com member now to get a presale code for the second NA round? I mean, if I'm broke now, but can pay the membership in a few more months, can I get presale tickets in the fall?

I was actually hoping that Larry would make a comment. Ever since I heard he was concerned about the fans reaction to Passengers - I knew that he was probally really upset by this and concerned about what the fan base thought. I am glad the letter came out.

I agree about the boards on U2.com - I am so sick of the complaining - get over it.

jick said:
And I am all with him for all those fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour - these so-called fans should be put on their proper place.

Cheers,

J

Seeing this next to your avatar is a bit disconcerting.

Sue DeNym said:

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. We must not nitpick every friggin thing U2 does. If they can beat all the scalpers, we are all (fans)sure to get presale tickets in the fall.

Larry's last remark is childish and unnacessary.

The letter and the refund are the least "minimum" U2 can do.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
question: do you have to be a U2.com member now to get a presale code for the second NA round? I mean, if I'm broke now, but can pay the membership in a few more months, can I get presale tickets in the fall?

They haven't been clear.

Although, IMO, the last thing they need is another batch of people to try to satisfy with tickets, which leads me to believe they'll set a cut off. They obviously can't handle these numbers without being overwhelmed.

anitram said:

They haven't been clear.

Although, IMO, the last thing they need is another batch of people to try to satisfy with tickets, which leads me to believe they'll set a cut off. They obviously can't handle these numbers without being overwhelmed.

On the subscribe page of u2.com it now says:

http://www.u2.com/subscribe/

"Please Note: Due to unprecedented demand, we are unable to offer new U2.Com Subscribers any presale opportunity to purchase tickets for the Vertigo 2005 Tour."

Back
Top Bottom