Let's Wager Some Money / First single release speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mean to be negative, but I must admit I am not *that* excited to hear GYBO (compared to the excitment I usually feel when about to hear a new U2 song). I am much more looking forward to all the other songs on the album. Of course it's partly because we have a very good idea of what this song is (based on the beach clip), and it does seem a little bit like Vertigo part 2... which is why I think it's a strange choice for a first single. But what do I know? Maybe it will sound quite different when we hear the real thing. Still my expectations are not that high for this song, therefore they might be easily surpassed ;)

This is pretty much spot on to how I feel. I'm still excited to get the song, but it has to be in the bottom 3 of "most want to hear now" from the album based on the clips and descriptions.

This is pretty much spot on to how I feel. I'm still excited to get the song, but it has to be in the bottom 3 of "most want to hear now" from the album based on the clips and descriptions.

i agree too. who knows though, maybe the song will end up blowing us away.

i am more interested in hearing how the song is mixed and mastered. it should give us some clues to how the album might "feel".

i agree too. who knows though, maybe the song will end up blowing us away.

i am more interested in hearing how the song is mixed and mastered. it should give us some clues to how the album might "feel".

Yeah, I think this song will end up feeling quite a bit more "fresh" than some of us are fearing. I'm thinking specfically of the electro and grunge comments. I think this is going to be a song that people are really juiced about at first, but it won't have the staying power of a classic. That's actually the aspect of it that I believe will most resemble Vertigo (which is a song I really, really like but can't quite rank as a U2 classic). But we'll see.

When they say GYBO is "Vertigo 2" don't they just mean that it's going to be the big hit of the album? Not that it will necessarily sound anything like Vertigo - just that it's an upbeat number more likely to do well in the charts and stuff? If Vertigo was that song for HTDAAB and The Fly that song for Achtung Baby... then GYBO could be something completely different all together.

When they say GYBO is "Vertigo 2" don't they just mean that it's going to be the big hit of the album? Not that it will necessarily sound anything like Vertigo - just that it's an upbeat number more likely to do well in the charts and stuff? If Vertigo was that song for HTDAAB and The Fly that song for Achtung Baby... then GYBO could be something completely different all together.

No, I think given the context, they're referring to the sound. But I might be reading this into it simply because many of us concluded the same thing (well before this aticle) after listening to the beach clips dozens of times.

No, I think given the context, they're referring to the sound. But I might be reading this into it simply because many of us concluded the same thing (well before this aticle) after listening to the beach clips dozens of times.

(Love your avatar, by the way :up: )

Really? In the context of the article I took it to mean this is 'the next vertigo of the album' therefore the next big hit. Maybe we're all just reading into the article too much :lol:

I don't mean to be negative, but I must admit I am not *that* excited to hear GYBO (compared to the excitment I usually feel when about to hear a new U2 song). I am much more looking forward to all the other songs on the album. Of course it's partly because we have a very good idea of what this song is (based on the beach clip), and it does seem a little bit like Vertigo part 2... which is why I think it's a strange choice for a first single. But what do I know? Maybe it will sound quite different when we hear the real thing. Still my expectations are not that high for this song, therefore they might be easily surpassed ;)

my thoughts exactly.

I consider GYOB to being the appetizer that I ordered a long time ago, has yet to come to the table, and now I'm annoyed because all I really want is the main course and thats right around the corner so I feel like telling the waitor that he should just bring it all together if he can.

Hmmm.....can you tell that its almost lunch time over here? :D

Really? In the context of the article I took it to mean this is 'the next vertigo of the album' therefore the next big hit. Maybe we're all just reading into the article too much :lol:

Yes, I think that that is true (and probably inevitable at this stage). Thanks for the avatar support! :wink:

I see why you would say that, but the Q and RS articles specifically describe GYOB as a fast hard song on the same vein of Vertigo. One of them said something to the effect of it picking up where Vertigo left off.

I guess we'll see when it FINALLY comes out....whenever that hell that is. :angry: (sorry...just spewing some bitterness)

I see why you would say that, but the Q and RS articles specifically describe GYOB as a fast hard song on the same vein of Vertigo. One of them said something to the effect of it picking up where Vertigo left off.

I guess we'll see when it FINALLY comes out....whenever that hell that is. :angry: (sorry...just spewing some bitterness)

ps333--I wanted to say that I really admire your ability to steer clear of the beach clips. Sometimes I wish I had done the same. But then I go listen to Magnificent :drool:

ps333--I wanted to say that I really admire your ability to steer clear of the beach clips. Sometimes I wish I had done the same. But then I go listen to Magnificent :drool:

YES! i just hope Magnificent doesn't go and pull a Miracle Drug and underachieve.

My feeling when I heard the beach clip was that it sounded quite like Vertigo part 2, the articles just kind of confirmed that. True that the production might make all the difference though, and that's hard to hear on the beach clip. But we already know the structure, melody and rythm of the song, unless they drastically changed it since then (which I doubt for this song).

Well, its kind of like telling the Designated Driver that you admire his ability to sit there and watch people doing body shots all night long. :D j/k

seriously, I've nearly broken down three times while on youtube. It literally felt like I was some junkie who needed a fix and couldn't take it anymore. My hand started to shake as I clicked on the link and I heard like 4 seconds of the first beach clip (Bono wailing about something) and each time I quickly cancelled out . WTF is wrong with me??? :lol:

I really don't know why I'm doing it....I don't feel better about it either. I actually feel like the only idiot who hasn't heard it. The peer pressure is f-ing killing me....especially with what you guys are describing.

and BTW, My friends call me "Surge"....so all you guys feel free. PS333 is really Powersurge333 - the beginning of my email address. My real name is Sergio - nickname is Surge....in case y'all were wonderin'.

Get Your Own Boots?

Hahahahahahaha!

WTF is wrong with me?

Well, its kind of like telling the Designated Driver that you admire his ability to sit there and watch people doing body shots all night long. :D j/k

seriously, I've nearly broken down three times while on youtube. It literally felt like I was some junkie who needed a fix and couldn't take it anymore. My hand started to shake as I clicked on the link and I heard like 4 seconds of the first beach clip (Bono wailing about something) and each time I quickly cancelled out . WTF is wrong with me??? :lol:

I really don't know why I'm doing it....I don't feel better about it either. I actually feel like the only idiot who hasn't heard it. The peer pressure is f-ing killing me....especially with what you guys are describing.

and BTW, My friends call me "Surge"....so all you guys feel free. PS333 is really Powersurge333 - the beginning of my email address. My real name is Sergio - nickname is Surge....in case y'all were wonderin'.

Hahahahahahaha!

WTF is wrong with me?

Surge it is :up: Wow, you had it right there in front of you and didn't take it? If I had daughters, I'd trust them with you anytime.

I'm looking forward to ALL the songs. I hope some of them will surprise me in a good way.

Strangely, I didn't think much of Vertigo when I first heard Boots as a beach clip, because I felt the layered vocals of the chorus are really something new for U2, something I hadn't expected (I remember the discussion of those clips very well). But now the more I think about it, the more I see where people who compare it to Vertigo are coming from. That said, I wouldn't mind, it would make a good first single, but as with Vertigo, I won't listen to it much on the album because it will be played on the radio too often. :D

Is it confirmed that Get On Your Boots is the first single?

I think they're nuts.....they should release Magnificent first.

In fact, I hope they completely redid Boots.

Is it confirmed that Get On Your Boots is the first single?

I think they're nuts.....they should release Magnificent first.

In fact, I hope they completely redid Boots.

Agree :up: Yeah, I think it's pretty much confirmed.

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but there's a cool new video on U2.com of Edge, Eno, and Lanois singing "Till Your Well Runs Dry."

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but there's a cool new video on U2.com of Edge, Eno, and Lanois singing "Till Your Well Runs Dry."

Yeah, that one's been up for a while, but thanks for keeping an eye out.

Are we confirmed the first line of Unknown Caller is
"There in your perfect ass....an opening" ?

:love:

ok, so please, no one freak out, but there's a post on U2eastlink that says the new single will premiere tomorrow on a Romanian radio station. it could be completely false and made up, but here's a link to the thread.

hxxp://www.u2eastlink.com/foro/read.php?18,1000436476

Back
Top Bottom