Lets Clear Some Stuff up Re: the B-sides, unreleased stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
There is a reason why these songs were put as B-sides or unreleased. Mainly, they're unfinished. No unfinished song should replace ANY song on HTDAAB or ATYCLB etc. etc. It's like the Sweetest Thing... Sweetest Thing has NO business replacing any song on The Joshua Tree in it's b-side state. But it did have promise, so when it was redone for the Best of... THEN it becomes a good song, worthy of being placed up with the unfinished songs. But let's not go nuts here... Vertigo is a top 40 hit in America... it's been #1 on the Modern Rock charts... Native Song would not have done that. Could Native Son have been better if they had put more work in it? Maybe... but for some reason it just stalled and they couldn't take it anywhere else, thus how Vertigo spawned out of it.

I think is just matter of own opinion. For me, many "unfinished" songs like Mercy are 1000 times better than "finished" ones like Wild Honey, Grace, A Man And A Woman or One Step Closer.
Simply they didn´t make the right tracklisting :sad:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
touche'

i've still yet to see the big hype about mercy... ok... it's like 6 minutes long... fine. it seems unfinished to me. i guess i just like my songs to actually be completed :shrug:

Yeah, I love the buildup and chorus, but the music still sounds off somehow.

I think Native Son got reworked to take the whiff of political controversy this song might have engendered away.

No way that Native Son becomes the iPod anthem ... Vertigo, on the other hand, lyrically couldn't possibly offend anyone, besides dizzy people perhaps.

I prefer some of the guitar work on the "unfinished versions"
They could have used some of the same guitar ideas and finished the songs.

Mercy moves me like nothing has in years. So emotional and powerful.

touche'

i've still yet to see the big hype about mercy... ok... it's like 6 minutes long... fine. it seems unfinished to me. i guess i just like my songs to actually be completed :shrug:

exactly.

I agree, Vertigo is better than Native Son. But what about ABOY alternate?? No matter how I look at it, the alternate version of ABOY is simply better. It has a stronger verse and a stronger chorus.

boosterjuice said:
I agree, Vertigo is better than Native Son. But what about ABOY alternate?? No matter how I look at it, the alternate version of ABOY is simply better. It has a stronger verse and a stronger chorus.

Yeah I completely agree with you there. I think in the album version they wanted the song to build at the end, which works I guess.
BUT, the alternate version is smoking all the way through, which I think fits the song better. The lyrics are awesome. I think the falsetto part especially could have made the song a huge hit. Who knows, maybe the album version will when it's released, but I doubt it. The alternate version just has so much more character than the original.

That is one question I would like to ask U2: " What were you thinking???? Why didn't you select the alternate version instead?" I guess they must think it is more radio friendly.

That falsetto part in the verse is amazing. very catchy.

Okay, listen to Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa and Pop again. You're telling me half of those albums don't sound like b-sides???

I'm NOT saying that's a bad thing, I think some of U2's best material is on these albums, and it's the more eccentric stuff. But come on, you're going to tell me that "Promenade" or "4th of July" or "Elvis Presley & America" or "Babyface" or "Some Days Are Better Than Others" or "Miami" or "Playboy Mansion" are more solid, album worthy songs than are "I'm Not Your Baby" or "Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes" or "North And South Of The River" or "Levitate"???

I just think part of what makes albums like Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa so appealing in the first place are that they're experimental in nature, that U2 had the freedom to throw on a few tracks that were ambiguous in structure and 'unfinished' to some, but they were more poetic and mood-oriented, and that was what was fun and new about those albums. And that's a little of what I miss now. I love A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer on the new LP. I like it when U2 take chances and don't just revert back to old formulas or throw together hackneyed riffs in an effort to be "epic rock" (i.e., Miracle Drug, City Of Blinding Lights).

And I think the following tracklist would make just as good an album as "Zooropa" was:

THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET
BIG GIRLS ARE BEST
ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER?
LEVITATE
LOVE YOU LIKE MAD
FLOWER CHILD

ELECTRICAL STORM
STATELESS
SMILE
THE HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA
MERCY
I’M NOT YOUR BABY
NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE RIVER

If comparing finished versions to the work in progress versions, does anyone actually think Fast Cars is better than Xanax & Wine. I personally think Fast Cars goes to the B-Sides and X&W may have been a great single.

teebee said:
I think Native Son got reworked to take the whiff of political controversy this song might have engendered away.

I think that was exactly why they dropped Native Sun. At first listen I couldn't see how someone wouldn't think it good and then I listened to Vertigo again and realized that this was the sound that the world would prefer.

As far as B sides go, some times a B side is made so you would buy the single that you will already have when you bought the album. It is a rare song. I have loved a lot of their B sides but there are reason's that they don't make it on an album and their are reasons that stupid songs like Wild Honey and Miami do.

petethechopp said:
If comparing finished versions to the work in progress versions, does anyone actually think Fast Cars is better than Xanax & Wine. I personally think Fast Cars goes to the B-Sides and X&W may have been a great single.

Agreed...I liked Fast Cars a lot when I first heard it, but when I heard Xanax and Wine I loved it! X&W could have made a great single IMO, but the chorus might have had to been shortened a bit.

petethechopp said:

:wave: that would be me. I like Fast Cars better than Xanax and Wine. I think Fast Cars has a more upbeat feel to it and a fun discoteque attitude. It is actually one of my favorite new song.

As far as what makes it onto an album and what doesn't - trying to figure out the logic of this might end up with a person stringing their neck to the ceiling fan.

Consider HMTMKMKM was left off of Zooropa.
Big Girls are Best and Holy Joe! didn't make the cut for POP
Summer Rain was left off of ATYCLB and know we know Flower Child was dropped as well
Heartland was passed over for THE JOSHUA TREE before finding a home on Rattle & Hum. Similar thing happens to Silver and Gold (though its the live version that goes on R&H) Spanish Eyes never finds a home (except as my favorite B-side) and Sweetest Thing turns up ten years later with a bunch of "DO-DO-Do"s as a single.
Hallelujah, Here She Comes is left off R&H

I think all of these albums woulda been better with these songs. So, who knows how these things happen.

youtwohearts said:

:wave: that would be me. I like Fast Cars better than Xanax and Wine. I think Fast Cars has a more upbeat feel to it and a fun discoteque attitude. It is actually one of my favorite new song.

Now I know. For me, the song just seems so incomplete now w/o the Xanax & Wine chorus.

I don't think Native Son stands any ground next to Vertigo. Lyrically, it's way too poignant - nothing wrong with that, but it's not something I would have expected of Bono these days, given who some of his 'friends' are. Musically, I think it's weak too - they did right to wait longer and release Vertigo. If they'd have released this album this time last year, with Native Son as the lead off track, I would have been very disappointed.

Plus, the heavy bass in Vertigo rocks.

There is a reason why these songs were put as B-sides or unreleased. Mainly, they're unfinished. No unfinished song should replace ANY song on HTDAAB or ATYCLB etc. etc.

:yes: I agree.

I do like their B-sides but they do not, for most part, compare to their album songs.
Sweetest thing deserved to become a re-made single, and from the others the only other I can think of that is equally good is North and south of the river. (even though it was co-written with someone else)

No matter what U2 do, people are going to whine. If 4th Of July had been left off UF and used as a b-side, a lot of you might be happy but I would be whining that Promenade and Bad don't flow together as well as they would have with the inclusion of 4th Of July.

U2 have made their choices. They can't please every single person's individual preferences. They have reasons for what they did and they happen to be the artists, not us.

Axver said:
U2 have made their choices. They can't please every single person's individual preferences.

EXACTLY !!!

I have very different preferences to other fans, and to the band as well, but I have to respect the band's decision to use the songs THEY like best. After all, they're the ones who own them and have to perform them for the next 12 months.

There are plenty of people here who hate A Man and A Woman, but it's my current fave from the album. I also love Wild Honey :ohmy: Elvis Presley & America :ohmy: and Promenade :ohmy:

Mercy is a bootleg - presumably from a tape since the sound fades in parts. I really think a quality recording of it (as is) would be a much better album track than One Step Closer. But Larry disagreed and it got dumped. But that doesn't stop me making my own CD with Mercy on it...

petethechopp said:

yep... i do. i think Xanax & Wine COULD have been better than Fast Cars, but frankly, the chorus is way too long. And they probably didn't know how to cut it, so they just completely remade it into the shorter, more precise "fast cars" that you see today. :shrug: i really think people just think the title "xanax and wine" sounds cooler than the title "fast cars," which without hearing the song could make you think it's a tracy chapman cover.

dmesq said:
Okay, listen to Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa and Pop again. You're telling me half of those albums don't sound like b-sides???

I'm NOT saying that's a bad thing, I think some of U2's best material is on these albums, and it's the more eccentric stuff. But come on, you're going to tell me that "Promenade" or "4th of July" or "Elvis Presley & America" or "Babyface" or "Some Days Are Better Than Others" or "Miami" or "Playboy Mansion" are more solid, album worthy songs than are "I'm Not Your Baby" or "Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes" or "North And South Of The River" or "Levitate"???

I just think part of what makes albums like Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa so appealing in the first place are that they're experimental in nature, that U2 had the freedom to throw on a few tracks that were ambiguous in structure and 'unfinished' to some, but they were more poetic and mood-oriented, and that was what was fun and new about those albums. And that's a little of what I miss now. I love A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer on the new LP. I like it when U2 take chances and don't just revert back to old formulas or throw together hackneyed riffs in an effort to be "epic rock" (i.e., Miracle Drug, City Of Blinding Lights).

And I think the following tracklist would make just as good an album as "Zooropa" was:

THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET
BIG GIRLS ARE BEST
ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER?
LEVITATE
LOVE YOU LIKE MAD
FLOWER CHILD

ELECTRICAL STORM
STATELESS
SMILE
THE HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA
MERCY
I’M NOT YOUR BABY
NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE RIVER

north and south of the river was good as a studio recording, but it wasn't great... it didn't really take off as a GREAT song until they performed it live at the omagha benefit. a different arrangement, reworked a little... then it became a great song. that's exactly what I mean. some of these b-sides and unreleased stuff COULD be great songs with more work... but they're unfinished. i'd actually prefer it if they didn't release the unfinished originals, released a bunch of covers as b-sides instead, and just finished the b-sides. perhaps we'd have more albums more often that way :shrug:

and as for your list... ironic, isn't it, that the best songs on that album aren't b-sides... hands... stateless... electrical storm... the ground beneath her feet... all of those songs are finished, completed songs that were put out for different projects. just because they aren't on a studio album doesn't make them a b-side... a b-side is a song that's on a single. an unreleased song is... well... unreleased. never appearing on anything. THOSE are the songs that i'm talking about... i'm not talking about Hands. I LOVE the Gangs of NY soundtrack version of Hands (the Best of version, on the other hand... not too crazy over).

i'd actually prefer it if they didn't release the unfinished originals, released a bunch of covers as b-sides instead, and just finished the b-sides. perhaps we'd have more albums more often that way :shrug:

best idea on this topic ever.

case closed.

Mercy is defintely finished, it almost made the album, did you not read the article (possibly Blender) where they were deciding between 13 songs? 11+Fast Cars+Mercy. Mercy (as it was and is) was almost included.

Bono wanted it on the album, it's finished. It may not sound finsihed to you, but it is.

There is a reason why these songs were put as B-sides or unreleased. Mainly, they're unfinished. No unfinished song should replace ANY song on HTDAAB or ATYCLB etc. etc. It's like the Sweetest Thing... Sweetest Thing has NO business replacing any song on The Joshua Tree in it's b-side state. But it did have promise, so when it was redone for the Best of... THEN it becomes a good song, worthy of being placed up with the unfinished songs. But let's not go nuts here... Vertigo is a top 40 hit in America... it's been #1 on the Modern Rock charts... Native Song would not have done that. Could Native Son have been better if they had put more work in it? Maybe... but for some reason it just stalled and they couldn't take it anywhere else, thus how Vertigo spawned out of it.

What about Elvis Presley and America. It's the best finished unfinished song. :)

Back
Top Bottom