Lets Clear Some Stuff up Re: the B-sides, unreleased stuff - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Lets Clear Some Stuff up Re: the B-sides, unreleased stuff

There is a reason why these songs were put as B-sides or unreleased. Mainly, they're unfinished. No unfinished song should replace ANY song on HTDAAB or ATYCLB etc. etc. It's like the Sweetest Thing... Sweetest Thing has NO business replacing any song on The Joshua Tree in it's b-side state. But it did have promise, so when it was redone for the Best of... THEN it becomes a good song, worthy of being placed up with the unfinished songs. But let's not go nuts here... Vertigo is a top 40 hit in America... it's been #1 on the Modern Rock charts... Native Song would not have done that. Could Native Son have been better if they had put more work in it? Maybe... but for some reason it just stalled and they couldn't take it anywhere else, thus how Vertigo spawned out of it.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:25 PM
I agree.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 03:25 PM

I think is just matter of own opinion. For me, many "unfinished" songs like Mercy are 1000 times better than "finished" ones like Wild Honey, Grace, A Man And A Woman or One Step Closer.
Simply they didn´t make the right tracklisting
Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:25 PM
AMAAW
Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:25 PM
One Step Closer
Old 12-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
I think is just matter of own opinion.

Simply they didn´t make the right tracklisting
Isn't that just your opinion?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

touche'

i've still yet to see the big hype about mercy... ok... it's like 6 minutes long... fine. it seems unfinished to me. i guess i just like my songs to actually be completed
Old 12-06-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
touche'

i've still yet to see the big hype about mercy... ok... it's like 6 minutes long... fine. it seems unfinished to me. i guess i just like my songs to actually be completed
Yeah, I love the buildup and chorus, but the music still sounds off somehow.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
The Fly

I think Native Son got reworked to take the whiff of political controversy this song might have engendered away.

No way that Native Son becomes the iPod anthem ... Vertigo, on the other hand, lyrically couldn't possibly offend anyone, besides dizzy people perhaps.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 11:25 AM
I prefer some of the guitar work on the "unfinished versions"
They could have used some of the same guitar ideas and finished the songs.

Mercy moves me like nothing has in years. So emotional and powerful.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
touche'

exactly.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
Refugee

I agree, Vertigo is better than Native Son. But what about ABOY alternate?? No matter how I look at it, the alternate version of ABOY is simply better. It has a stronger verse and a stronger chorus.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by boosterjuice
I agree, Vertigo is better than Native Son. But what about ABOY alternate?? No matter how I look at it, the alternate version of ABOY is simply better. It has a stronger verse and a stronger chorus.
Yeah I completely agree with you there. I think in the album version they wanted the song to build at the end, which works I guess.
BUT, the alternate version is smoking all the way through, which I think fits the song better. The lyrics are awesome. I think the falsetto part especially could have made the song a huge hit. Who knows, maybe the album version will when it's released, but I doubt it. The alternate version just has so much more character than the original.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #14
Refugee

That is one question I would like to ask U2: " What were you thinking???? Why didn't you select the alternate version instead?" I guess they must think it is more radio friendly.

That falsetto part in the verse is amazing. very catchy.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
The Fly

Okay, listen to Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa and Pop again. You're telling me half of those albums don't sound like b-sides???

I'm NOT saying that's a bad thing, I think some of U2's best material is on these albums, and it's the more eccentric stuff. But come on, you're going to tell me that "Promenade" or "4th of July" or "Elvis Presley & America" or "Babyface" or "Some Days Are Better Than Others" or "Miami" or "Playboy Mansion" are more solid, album worthy songs than are "I'm Not Your Baby" or "Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes" or "North And South Of The River" or "Levitate"???

I just think part of what makes albums like Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa so appealing in the first place are that they're experimental in nature, that U2 had the freedom to throw on a few tracks that were ambiguous in structure and 'unfinished' to some, but they were more poetic and mood-oriented, and that was what was fun and new about those albums. And that's a little of what I miss now. I love A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer on the new LP. I like it when U2 take chances and don't just revert back to old formulas or throw together hackneyed riffs in an effort to be "epic rock" (i.e., Miracle Drug, City Of Blinding Lights).

And I think the following tracklist would make just as good an album as "Zooropa" was:

THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET
BIG GIRLS ARE BEST
ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER?
LEVITATE
LOVE YOU LIKE MAD
FLOWER CHILD

ELECTRICAL STORM
STATELESS
SMILE
THE HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA
MERCY
I’M NOT YOUR BABY
NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE RIVER
Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #16
The Fly

If comparing finished versions to the work in progress versions, does anyone actually think Fast Cars is better than Xanax & Wine. I personally think Fast Cars goes to the B-Sides and X&W may have been a great single.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #17
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by teebee
I think Native Son got reworked to take the whiff of political controversy this song might have engendered away.
I think that was exactly why they dropped Native Sun. At first listen I couldn't see how someone wouldn't think it good and then I listened to Vertigo again and realized that this was the sound that the world would prefer.

As far as B sides go, some times a B side is made so you would buy the single that you will already have when you bought the album. It is a rare song. I have loved a lot of their B sides but there are reason's that they don't make it on an album and their are reasons that stupid songs like Wild Honey and Miami do.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by petethechopp
If comparing finished versions to the work in progress versions, does anyone actually think Fast Cars is better than Xanax & Wine. I personally think Fast Cars goes to the B-Sides and X&W may have been a great single.
Agreed...I liked Fast Cars a lot when I first heard it, but when I heard Xanax and Wine I loved it! X&W could have made a great single IMO, but the chorus might have had to been shortened a bit.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by petethechopp
that would be me. I like Fast Cars better than Xanax and Wine. I think Fast Cars has a more upbeat feel to it and a fun discoteque attitude. It is actually one of my favorite new song.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #20
The Fly

As far as what makes it onto an album and what doesn't - trying to figure out the logic of this might end up with a person stringing their neck to the ceiling fan.

Consider HMTMKMKM was left off of Zooropa.
Big Girls are Best and Holy Joe! didn't make the cut for POP
Summer Rain was left off of ATYCLB and know we know Flower Child was dropped as well
Heartland was passed over for THE JOSHUA TREE before finding a home on Rattle & Hum. Similar thing happens to Silver and Gold (though its the live version that goes on R&H) Spanish Eyes never finds a home (except as my favorite B-side) and Sweetest Thing turns up ten years later with a bunch of "DO-DO-Do"s as a single.
Hallelujah, Here She Comes is left off R&H

I think all of these albums woulda been better with these songs. So, who knows how these things happen.