Let it out! What you are most ashamed to admit as a U2 fan ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't like the 'One' video because there were naked people on the cars. Okay, I was 10 at the time, but I remember telling my sister to change it, because I wanted to watch something else, not a bunch of music videos. She wanted to watch MTV, I wanted to watch cartoons or something like that.

:reject: times 1000.

Last edited:
- Didn't become a fan until 2000... (This bugs me the most).

- Was offered to see Popmart but turned it down for the reason: "I'm not really a fan" (to my defence I wasn't at the time, but still... i deserve to be shot)

- I don't like Bullet the blue sky.

And another thing: Thanks for informing me about the Pride lyrics............................................................................................................................

I'll go and listen to some techno.

been a fan since 1983 but i have never seen them live. (i think i should get around to doing that before too long, because our boys are getting older and won't be touring forever--what a horrifying thought)

i don't own a copy of zooropa or all that you can't leave behind.

i only started getting *really* into pop last week. good stuff.

I don't own Boy, Melon, Passengers or any bootlegs. Havn't seen them live even though I've been a fan since the early 80's. The only thing I'm ashamed of is that I was too young to see how controlling my ex was. Between a lousy husband in 80's and early 90's and 2 beautiful children there wasn't much time or fund's to build on my collection and my husband was so jealous of Bono and U2 he claimed he didn't like them. Got rid of him and started building from there. There are a few things I am waiting on to come out on DVD, then I will own them. Now If I could just get a decent computer then I could really catch up. All in good time. It's really fun to get new U2 things even when it's earlier stuff.:wink:

lets see:

I don't know all the titles to the songs and don't even know all the lyrics (as some awesome fans do) to every song.

I have probably over 50 bootlegs that good people on this board have happily provided and yet have probably listened to 10 at most.

I haven't listened that much to U2 in the last past year.

I've stopped buying singles, magazines, and books about the band because there are just to many and I won't read them.

BUT truly I am a fan. I've loved them since 1991 and up to this point they have never let me down. I've even been listening to other bands like Linkin Park:ohmy: So I need a dose of new U2 soon!:D :heart: :yes:

:huh: I've been a fan since 81, I still don't own October and I just got Boy two years ago. I have two concert dvd boots and thats it!

I will admit to having tons of books, posters, pictures and envelopes filled with ticket stubs that I will put in a memory book some decade :wink: but not until after the next tour! :drool:

admitting that youre a u2 fan is a bit of an embarrassment to certain crowds

most people like: hardcore, screaming and punk music if they arent teeny boppers

I've been a fan since 1981 and I don't own Boy, October, Under a Blood Red Sky and no EPs, boots or downloads. The only 80's show I saw was during the UF tour and I was dissapointed, Didn't even try to get to a JT show.

Oh yeah, and I've never seen R&H and not sure I really want to, it kinda scares me the same way PLEBA does.

I am ashamed I have looked on the forums for over 2 years--but never posted.

I have been a fan since JT, have all the CD's, all the books, magazines, cut out from the papers & magazines anything that has the word U2 in it, I have never got to see them live and that is sad That is going to be my Christmas wish this year--for my family to give me $ for tickets for next year's tour.

It took me a while to realise the importance of Edge's voice in what I was hearing.
I am happy with the studio albums, I don't download any bootleg stuff or mp3's and such. A few people here have kindly sent me a few live concerts on CD and I don't listen to them.
I was perplexed the first time I heard Numb on the radio . I was embarrassed when I didn't instantly recognise the band. I thought wtf is this? ....I later came to love it.
I've let some great collecting opportunities pass me by. I was offered some laminated posters I now regret not buying.
I have never bought a T shirt at the concert, I've picked them up later.
I've only seen U2 in concert twice.
I bought a ZooTV booklet at the show and quickly thought I can't afford to spend another $25 on this expedition. So I lined up again and asked for a refund :embarrassed: the woman gave me too much money back, so I lined up again and gave her back the extra money. My friends thought I was stupid.
I regret not buying a pack of those condoms after all that lining up.
I don't own all the singles. I buy them now when I see them 2nd hand....which isn't that often:up:

I have enjoyed reading this thead and am amazed by some of the confessions :)
:laugh:

1.) I, like many others it seems, do not have Under a Blood Red Sky.

2.) U2 tickets aren't cheap, mates! I consider myself very very lucky to have seen them twice.

3.) I only have one U2 T-shirt, and even at that, I'm not sure where it is.

4.) I just read U2 at the End of the World in the past month.

Oddly I'm ashamed to admit that I did see the Million Dollar Hotel just because of the U2 connection. I'm also ashamed because I tried to convince myself that I liked it, even though it was terrible. In my defense I, at least, didn't see it in the theater.

I also don't own Wide Awake In America for the same reason someone else pointed out. I refuse to pay that much for just four songs.

Last edited:
I dont own Wide awake in America or Under a Blood red sky and i only got october and boy i few months ago

i've only been to one concert but thats because i come from cape town and they've only been there once for pop and by the time i arrived in london elevation had passed

i don't know the order of songs on albums, not the lyrics off by heart to most songs ( wish i did) but have made silly mistakes like th ones noted earlier in the thread "one man" vs "what more" etc etc

i dont own a U2 Tshirt having not had the cash to buy them at the 1 concert i went to ( i sold my bike for those tickets!) and buy most of my concert memorablia that i now own off ebay. not quite the same sadly

i dotn own all the singles but am trying really hard.

i struggle to remember bonos birthday - ironically always a question from people demandning to know how big a fan i am, so i just make it up (i'm never far off) they dont know any better either.

i too dont own any bootlegs except live in sarejevo and have never seen nor heard million dollar hotel. and although i own a stack of singles adn albums on vinyl, up untill a month ago i'd never heard them as i didnt have a record player - some songs i heard for the first time ever. it was amazing

i'm sure there are loads more but thats enough for me for now

Roland of Gilead said:
I am ashamed to admit that I wish I was a woman so I could love this band even more. ;)

:ohmy: I have found the PERFECT MAN!!! Never mind that I'm currently married to a stupendous hunk of burnin' love -- Roland, WILL YOU MARRY ME?!?!? :lmao:

:eyebrow: Well, let's say I don't own Zooropa, and don't care! I DO know Bono's birthday-now how can u forget? ah-same way he forgot his wife's birthday after knowing her since school days? lol! i really regret not going to see U2 when they opened for J. giles band, went to see another band instead! Oh-the shame>>runnning to hide!:reject:

I don't--and don't want to--own "Pop". I know there's some awesome songs on there...i just dont want the whole album. Dont want some of that stuff in my head.
NEVER seen U2 live--only been a fan since 2001.
"Just missed" U2/Bono twice...i was IN the Charles De Gaulle (sp.) airport the SAME month and year that U2 took the pics and did the video "Beautiful Day" but too late! (I did see a dude with a bass but his name was Jean-Eric or something like that.)
Plus i was once just ONE TURN away from Bono (meaning that to get to the hotel he was in i'd only have had to go down one road, turn right, keep going and there'd it be! but i didnt know he was in town until the NEXT day! even if i had known, id have had to miss government class. that would have been a dilemma for me. anyway, there was a young girl in a pic with Bono in the paper the next day, and this year i met someone who KNOWS that girl! Yikes!)
Hopefully, third time will be the "charm"!
also i could have seen the Elevation (U2 tribute band) show at Cleveland but i didnt. (it was at ten and i had to leave at six the next morning.)

When I was 14 and at the Detroit Zoo Tv show, my dad made my best friend and I leave before the encore. :mad:

I don't have a picture of the moment that Larry gave Kristina and I our sticks. :sad:

I haven't seen the Million Dollar Hotel (but I'm OK with that)

And, my most embarrasing admission...

Back during the POPMart tour, I was working at a grocery store. A bunch of us were trying to figure out something to do on Halloween, and I suggested we try to get tickets to see U2. I got on the phone with ticketmaster, but after about a half hour of waiting to get through, I got exasperated and hung up. :|

Every time I've watched my Popmart video I want to kick myself for being so blase and not trying harder to score tickets.

::cracks knuckles::

Where to begin?

I only became a U2 fan in late 2000. Before then I never really made the connection that all of their songs were by the same band.

I only own their albums from Joshua Tree on.

I have never listened to any of the first 4 studio albums in their entirety.

I have only been to one U2 concert (obviously Elevation, considering when I became a fan)

I only own one U2 poster.

I only own one U2 book (but the best one, I think - At the End of the World)

I own bootlegged live versions of songs, but I do not own any concerts.

I think I've listened to Rattle and Hum maybe 3 times. I really don't care for that album at all, save Desire, Angel of Harlem, and All I Want Is You. Ocassionally 'When Love Comes To Town.'

I've never watched the Popmart video. (Waiting for dvd.)

And by the way - when does watching/not watching the horribly awful 'Million Dollar Hotel' qualify as U2-related? So Bono produced it, big whoop. That's like saying, "I've never bought the Mission:Impossible theme on CD." No, it's even worse. Come on, people!

Last edited:
Miggy D said:
And by the way - when does watching/not watching the horribly awful 'Million Dollar Hotel' qualify as U2-related? So Bono produced it, big whoop. That's like saying, "I've never bought the Mission:Impossible theme on CD." No, it's even worse. Come on, people!

Bono wrote the screenplay or similar, too.

discothequeLP said:

2- 95% of the songs i can play on gutiar are U2 songs :p

oh yeah! How bout the only guitar I can play is the beginning to Sunday Bloody Sunday.

thing is, I just keep repeating it over and over....I can never get to the chorus.

(But cool thing is I can do most of the song on the drums.:wink: )

Flying FuManchu said:
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't care for Achtung Baby when I first heard it. I didn't like most of the album to be honest (this was when the album first came out). Now... I believe it is the GREATEST U2 album ever made...

When Achtung Baby came out I was pissed off! I was such a huge fan of JT that it was such a shock. I put the record away until I saw them in concert. Now, it's my favorite album. From some reason, I always get an initial shock when their new stuff comes out and it takes me a bit to get into it. This time around, though, I LOVE Vertigo :)

starsgoblue said:
:reject: I have a pillowcase with a picture of Bono on it :reject:

awww and do you kiss it every night? :p I would. No, really, I would. That's the sad thing.

My confessions (of a dangerous mind!):

1. I didn't get War until about a year ago... I used to have it on tape but lost it/didn't wanna bother with tapes. Man, I was sooo missing out on a great album. I also didn't get AB til early 2001. I was 12 then, but I still feel guilty 'cause I'd liked U2 since I was 9 and my uncle knew this and kept saying "I have Achtung Baby. You should get it." and I thought the title was weird so I didn't :reject:

2. I STILL don't have Under a Blood Red Sky (though I have Red Rocks taped from TV...only watched it once though) nor do I have Wide Awake In America.

3. I don't have all the singles. In fact, I hardly have any of the singles - just Electrical Storm (the version with the Bad-Streets second track), Beautiful Day, SIAM, Discotheque (with all the dance remixes), IGWSHA, and One.

4. When I first got into U2 all I had was Pop, and the only reference I had to what they looked like were the pictures in the booklet - for some reason, based on the pics at the end, I thought Adam was Bono (whose name I couldn't pronounce right :tsk: ), Larry was Adam, and Bono was Larry. For some reason I always knew Edge was Edge though :D

5. I don't own the Flannagan bible. I have read it, though. Wonderful book.

6. I only have one U2 poster - an ATYCLB one - and a little mini-poster print thing of JT Bono. I need more U2 posters...I guess I need to get them online or something. I want hot Bono posters, damnit!

7. I don't own any bootlegs. In fact, I've never even heard any bootlegs.

8. For the life of me I can't remember Adam's birthday...is it March 23rd? 21st? My dad, stepmom, little sister, and other relatives were all born in March so March for me is like :huh:

9. I didn't know Bono's birthday til on the way to my one and only U2 concert...which took place ON his birthday.

10. When I signed the birthday banner for Bono I wrote something really dumb like "U2 forever." Jesus christ on a crackerjack, I coulda thought of something better than THAT...ANYTHING... "I love you" "Hope you have a great birthday" "Here's my phone number and email address call me up sometime luv" "I think you're sexy" "U2 has changed my life in so many ways" "Purple!"... ANYTHING...

That's enough confessin' for me now :huh: I have to admit I completely cracked up reading some of these - like the "naked people on cars" :lmao:

AtomicBono said:

awww and do you kiss it every night? :p I would. No, really, I would. That's the sad thing.

Haha...no. But the funny thing is though I hide it from my housemates....because I do have all the albums, singles, several books, several posters, videos and whatnot. Oh, and a picture that has yet to be signed... If they saw the pillowcase they might try to commit me to the loony bin. :reject:

(blushing profusely and covering her face in her hands)

I can recite all of U2's tour dates from every tour. I was on a long trip once, and I just read U2 live encyclapedia by Pimm over and over. It was the most interesting book I had ever read. But the end of the trip, I knew every date, city, venue and most of the attendance figures. It's freaky, and my friends will sometimes just look at me and say September 13th, 1987. Then I will reply "that was a day off between Spectrum Arena in Philidelphia and Giants Stadium in New Jersey." And they just say "what a freak!"

Back
Top Bottom